1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Set up a RAID 5 array on the Interweb

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 24 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

This would be fine if my internet speed was greater than 300Kilobits/sec!
    There's the bottleneck!

3. nakchak

nakchak What's a Dremel?

just a few fairly hefty flaws with the plan....

free ftp accounts tend to have transfer limits, i would imagine that the majority of your available bandwidth will be used to sync and send parity data

response times will be horrible, as will file searches.

i mean proof of concept is fine, but they could juat have easily built a raid5 array from 40 floppy drives and say the same things,
    but i mean having a convoluted software raid setup just seems dumb to me, we all know software raid doesnt work very well, compared to the full fat server raid cards

unless you have a syncronus connection (same speed up and down, which you wont have in the UK unless you have a forked out serious £££ for an SDSL line) then the system is a non starter, never mind that using your net connection like that would probably classify you as a server, which is against the the T&C's of most domestic ISP's in the UK.

frankly if you want cheap serious distributed storage consider using amazons S3 services, or just follow the how to build a linux server guide on bit, will get something far more usefull, and you can run games servers off it as well :)

4. Starfighter

Starfighter What's a Dremel?

*FREE*, reliable, secure offsite backup solution? yes Please!

5. DeX

DeX Mube Codder

Haven't you tried mozy yet?

Tags: Add Tags