1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Spare Hardware - PPD/W ?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by FingAZ, 4 Feb 2012.

1. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

Hi all,
    Just starting to really get into the folding side of things, and was becoming curious about booting up some old 1U Servers i have knocking about to assist...

Basically they're two HP DL140 G2's with (i believe!):
    * Unit 1- socket 603 dual processor board, with 2x single core 2.4GHz Xeons
    * Unit 2 - socket 604 dual processor board, with 2x single core 3.6GHz Xeons

There's around 2 - 4 GB of RAM in each too i think.

Does anyone have any experience with these processors or similar? Is it worth running the SMP client with two single core CPU's? and baring in mind that Unit 1 is around 300W, and Unit 2 is probably about 400W (say 700W combined power sucking), are the PPD/Watt counts likely to be any good?

I think that these are the CPU's in question:
    Unit1's CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/27269/Intel-Xeon-Processor-2_40-GHz-512K-Cache-400-MHz-FSB
    Unit2's CPU: http://ark.intel.com/products/27088/64-bit-Intel-Xeon-Processor-3_60-GHz-1M-Cache-800-MHz-FSB

Thanks in advance for any tips!
    FingAZ.

2. Votick

Votick My CPU's hot but my core runs cold.

Normally we look at:
    a) Dose it produce a good amount of PPD?
    b) How much electricity dose this "cpu/gpu" use?

With those servers you will be sucking electricity out of the wall and gaining little PPD in return.
    It's probably not worth running them at all considering even an 8600GT could produce more PPD than those old CPU's I'm afraid :(

3. FingAZ

FingAZ What's a Dremel?

Aye that was my suspicion! Thanks for clarifying.

Tags: