1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Linux Skype 4.2 won't sign in

Discussion in 'Software' started by Phil Rhodes, 19 Feb 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Is there any known problem with Skype 4.2? I'm running Mint 16.

Tried various methods to get to Skype 4.3, which is apparently what's available, but of course this is linux.

P

2. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Skype on linux has always been a crash-happy pain in the arse [not much better on windows tbh...]

for installing/upgrading to 4.3 - if you haven't already, uninstall the repo version, and grab the .deb straight from here [you want the 'Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch)' one]... I found the package in the *buntu repo causes nothing but problems...

3. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Tried all that. It still says 4.2 in the title bar of the window that pops up when I start skype. I even tried issuing some "apt-get remove skype" type stuff.

No idea what's going on.

P

4. RedFlames

try 'apt-get purge skype' [removes app and any left-over settings]

then if you've downloaded the one from the website

cd ~/Downloads [or where it's downloaded to]
    sudo dpkg -i *.deb

or iirc, you should be able to double-click the .deb and install it that way [assuming nothing's changed in ubuntu or mint since I last used them]

running 'apt-get install skype' just re-acquires the repo version

EDIT: i know you an linux don't get on, you're frequently very vocal about it... but if i can help you get the [admittedly unreliable on linux] skype working without it descending into that argument, I will.

Last edited: 19 Feb 2015
  5. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

have you updated your repository's?

Remove skype

apt-get purge skype

update your repos

aptitude update && aptitude safe-upgrade

then try and install and see what version you get

apt-get install skype

6. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I'm always a bit concerned about "update" or "upgrade" commands on apt, but we'll see.

Edit: Er, yes. It's spat out 400,000 lines of incomprehensible debug, and is now asking:

Code:
    configuration file /etc/gnome/defaults.list
      ==> Modified (by you or by a script) since installation
      ==> Package distributor has shipped an updated version
        What would you like to do about it ? Your options are:
        Y or I : install the package maintainer's version
        N or O: keep your currently-installed version
        D : show the differences between the versions
        Z : start a shell to examine the sitaution
     The default action is to keep your current version.
    *** defaults.list (Y/I/N/O/D/Z) [default=N] ?
    Needless to say I have no idea what to do here.

P

Last edited: 20 Feb 2015
  7. RedFlames

It's saying that an update wants to modify a file that's already been modified,

You can either overwrite the exisiting version with the on from the update [Y or I]
    Keep the existing version [N or O, this is the default action if you press enter with no response]
    View the difference between the two versions [D]

In this case i'd just overwrite the file.

8. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

I appreciate what it's saying, I just...

Oh, let's do that, then. Here goes nothing.

I get Skype 4.2. Again.

I thought it was supposed to be easy to keep linux up to date? I mean, I don't want to be divisive, but this sort of stuff is exactly why the thing gets a bad rep.

9. RedFlames

usually, it's a lot less of a ballache than this...

did you install it from the .deb you get from the skype website or 'apt-get install skype'?

If you're doing the latter and it's still coming back as 4.2, the newer version hasn't been uploaded to the repo by the powers that be yet [which is a frequent, yet annoying occurrence for some apps]... personally for things like skype i grab it direct from the developer for this very reason...

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I wasn't going to get involved, but your problem is related to two things. The first is that Skype has disabled the ability for versions prior to 4.3 to sign in, which is why you can't sign in with Skype 4.2. That's not a Linux problem, that's a Skype problem. The second is that you're using an outdated operating system. You're not getting the latest version of Skype because Linux Mint 16 has been out of support since July 2014. The correct way to fix your problem is to upgrade to Linux Mint 17 (or 17.1), which is a Long Term Support (LTS) release and will be supported until April 2019. Its repositories will include Skype 4.3. I know that, because it's based on Ubuntu Trusty's repositories and my Ubuntu Trusty install right here is running Skype 4.3, installed from the repositories and automatically kept up-to-date by apt, without difficulty.

11. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Windows XP has been out of support since April 2014, and I can still get Skype for that!

Is there some way of updating the OS in place, or is this a reinstall job? Because I really can't be bothered, just for skype.

12. RedFlames

That's not helped by Mint's 'don't upgrade, reinstall from fresh' attitude to new versions... though tbh I should've spotted that it was an older version... it's hard to keep track when you're not using them day in day out...

Downloading straight from the skype website should still rectify it if Phil can't/doesn't want to upgrade...

13. RedFlames

You can, but it's a bit of a pain, [a lot of a pain tbh, though Gareth will probably disagree] as as i said, mint themselves tell their users to reinstall from fresh whenever a new version comes out... I struggle to recommend Mint because of this...

if you want to give it a shot this will run you through upgrading from petra [16] to qiana [17]

once you've done that you can do the same again, replacing 'qiana' with 'rebecca' for the current version [17.1], the 'trusty' bits remain the same.

however tempting it is, don't try and jump straight from 16 to 17.1... whilst 17 and 17.1 are both based on Ubuntu Trusty LTS, you're less likely to break something doing it one version at a time...

14. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Windows XP is made by Microsoft. Skype is made (these days) by Microsoft. Gee, wonder if there's a connection there?

You can get Skype 4.3 for Linux Mint 16, if you really want to. RedFlames linked to the download page in the very first reply. Removing your current copy of Skype and installing from that Deb package - which should be as simple as double-clicking on it, just like installing the Windows version - should fix your problem. Note that it's not the correct way to fix your problem, though: just like having an updated version of Skype would not be your biggest problem if you were running Windows XP, it's not your biggest problem when you're running Linux Mint 16. You're not getting security updates, and that's something you should really resolve by upgrading.

15. RedFlames

Before Phil edges further towards the argument i've been trying to keep this thread away from by saying 'well that's bloody stupid, why doesn't linux do in-place upgrades?'

A lot of distros, including but not limited to - vanilla *buntu and fedora do [though the latter's in-place upgrade can be a bit hit-n-miss]... Mint just happens to be one of the ones that doesn't...

Typically the ones that are built on top of another distro [like mint] don't, as they have to try and juggle their own updates with updates to the underlying distro [*buntu in mint's case]. It's also why new versions of mint lag behind new version so *buntu by a month or two, and also why they've now taken to basing it upon the Long Term Support version to help alleviate the problem.

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Downloading it directly from the skype site is more or less the first thing I tried, in the full (and as it turned out correct) knowledge that there would be downloads for this week's most fashionable distros, and not one for Mint.

For this reason I often get the feeling that people should be very cautious about saying that certain software is available "for linux". It might be available for Debian or Ubuntu or whatever, but there are very few things that are really available for all the variations. It is a puzzlement.

P

17. RedFlames

As I said above you want the 'Ubuntu 12.04 (multiarch)' package... Mint is based on ubuntu, so you want the ubuntu package. [it really should say '12.04 or later' tbh]...

I know it's confusing as it doesn't say 'this is the one you want if you have Mint' and a bit misleading by implying it's only available for a 3-year-old distro... but blame MS for that, not the distro makers...

I do know your pain though, I'm typically a Fedora user, me and ubuntu don't get along... And it annoys me no end when a lot of devs think 'linux' == 'ubuntu' [Spotify i'm looking at you]... I know Ubuntu [and derivatives like Mint] is the popular one, and trying to keep tabs on every linux distro is an exercise in futility, but it's an annoyance all the same...

EDIT: You have to think of it a bit like a custom car... If you want spares, you need to know the car it's based on to know what to look for - In your case, it'll rarely state 'Works on Linux Mint' [though some packages do], so you instead need to look for a package for the underlying distro [*buntu]...

18. Gareth Halfacree

Very true, and one of the reasons I run Ubuntu: I know that if someone says their software is available "for Linux," that'll almost certainly include Ubuntu.

Sadly, though, Windows is going much the same way. Look at Windows 10: if I release some software "for Windows," will it be available for Windows 10 on all devices, or just desktops and laptops? Just phones? Just tablets? Just tablets with x86 chips? With a screen larger than 7"? Then there's the joy that I might rely on something new like DirectX12, in which case it won't work with Windows 8.1, or Windows 8, or Windows 7, or Windows Vista...

(Oh, and "this week's most fashionable distros?" Ubuntu has been king of the hill for consumer Linux (excluding Android) for years. Hell, the version Microsoft namechecks on the Skype website was released three years ago...)

19. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

So you're telling me to use software intended for another version of linux entirely. After we've been through a load of commandline hell and been told that I'm using the wrong distro and should reinstall from scratch.

Sorry, this whole escapade has just kicked me into full-blown linux hilarity mode, now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLmd0100T9g

20. Gareth Halfacree

No. Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu. It even tells you which version on the releases page. The vast majority of Linux Mint's packages are Ubuntu packages; software written for Ubuntu will work unmodified on Linux Mint. Think of it as the difference between the Windows that comes on a Lenovo laptop and the Windows that comes on a Dell laptop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.