1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Chipset Lifespan - AMD vs Intel

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Omnislip, 16 Mar 2017.

1. Omnislip

Omnislip Minimodder

Hi all,

I'm sure many of us are thinking about how sweet the Ryzen value proposition really is, but people seem fixated on comparing CPU values without thinking about chipsets.

Am I right in thinking that the AM4 chipset will stick around for quite a few years? This certainly seems to be how it is pitched.

On the Intel side, how long will the Kaby chipsets last? Presumably the step to a brand new architecture will dump these chipsets - but if these chipsets are only current for one year it sounds like a pretty raw deal for motherboard purchasers.

So, do you think it's worth plumping for a (perhaps) worse game-performing Zen CPU now, hoping that the future generations might fix some of the issues so you can buy a beefier chip instead of a whole new mobo?

Of course, this is rather speculative until we see some good r5 benchmarks - hopefully they'll perform very well!

2. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I think it's much a muchness to be honest.

Z170 to Z270 offers no real benefit in core function, and both support Skylake and Kabylake CPU's, but neither will support an architecturally different generation of CPU (Cannonlake or Coffelake, whichever is next... I've lost track now). Likewise, current X370/B350 AM4 boards will no doubt support a Ryzen re-fresh line, if it get's released, along with upcoming APU's, but will it support Zen 2? I doubt it.

3. Sentinel-R1

Sentinel-R1 Chaircrew

Depends if you find the extra 4x PCI-E lanes beneficial. It's an extra nvme slot at least :)