1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Free Commercial CAD software

Discussion in 'Software' started by Kernel, 30 Sep 2011.

1. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

I have to start making up and edit some site plans at work, I have recently been using the trial version of AutoCAD LT2012 but I only have about 8 days left on it.
    Although my company is loathed to pay for a full version for me as it doesn't really warrant it for the amount I'll use the program.

So I am on the hunt for a CAD program that can be used in a commercial environment for free, I have tried DraftSight and it's pretty good but it really hammers my CPU on my work PC. (Using 60% usage for moving the mouse on a blank screen, never had problems with AutoCAD tho)
    It'll also need .DWG support so I can send things to head office to get plotted. (The engineering manager has AutoCAD)

Thanks in advance.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Scketchup ? It's not a feature-full software but I think it'll do the job for site plans. Plus the PRO version of SU has a DXF / DWG export tool and it costs only €360.

http://sketchup.google.com/intl/fr/product/gsup.html

Blender is a nice free tools too, but more suited for organic modeling.

Last edited: 30 Sep 2011
  3. improprietary

improprietary FT03 is a bitch to watercool

i don't know about the price but you might be able to get a used autocad license for an older version (not older than '06 i beg of you) instead of buying a new a cd with the value of a rather good used car.

4. JimmyTheTrumpet

JimmyTheTrumpet What's a Dremel?

5. Coltch

Coltch Minimodder

I'm using Sketchup Pro as I needed .DWG support, however, check any .DWG files before importing into sketchup as some items will be ignored.