1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Connecting to multiple hotspots.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jackster, 28 May 2012.

1. Jackster

Jackster What's a Dremel?

Hi all

I have a 700kbps upload on my ADSL.

What I want to do (for fun) is combine that with a BTopenzone hotspot that I can pick up and a BTFON that is 2 doors down.

They all get 700kbps upload and I bet I can get more on the Openzone with a bigger antenna as I am quite far from it.

I have a server ready to combine the connections but need software to do this.

I can't find anything though. Just seams to be a load of 5 year olds asking and the places that do have something don't work.

Hope someone can point me somewhere :)

Jack,

2. JPClyde

JPClyde What's a Dremel?

My advice STOP.

If they find out you can be in the ****. It's not fair on the person paying for their connection so you can piggy back on their network and if you do something illegal even if it was unintentional they are the ones that get into trouble.

3. Modsbywoz

Modsbywoz Multimodder

Agreed.

Buy yourself a better internet connection if it bothers you that much. Else if your only doing it for fun, find something better to do with your time.

4. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

I dont think you can combine them anyway, you might be able to get something that does a sort of load balancing algorithm, but you are still only going to get 700 up, just 3 different ups that "software whatever" balances your streams over. so one single connection will not see more than 700 up.

And what they said above ^^ you are being naughty using someone else's wireless even if its not encrypted or whatever.

That's not really very fun anyway, find a hobby that is more fun :)

Or learn about networking, and think about why you might not be able to just "combine" the connections and then if you learn loads about it one day maybe someone will pay you for your skills you taught yourself instead of being naughty :)

5. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

You're allowed to connect to Hotspots as part of contracts etc (i get some with my mobile) but aren't they capped so that only a smal part of their bandwidth is allocated to the hotspot usage. (connect and do a speedtest)

Doubt it's anything illegal and that you would get much gain in connacting as well

6. Margo Baggins

I doubt "BTFON that is 2 doors down." is a hotspot :p

7. mrMonkeyChunks

mrMonkeyChunks EVGA Cheesecake

Actually it is, BT customers get a username and password that allow them access to any BTFON connection. http://www.btfon.com/

I use it myself on my phone when needed. The hotspots themselves are broadcast from the new bt homehubs

8. Margo Baggins

ohhh thats fancy - I didnt know this.

9. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Old news, used to use them when my 3G connection was poor in areas, a good idea espeically if you don't want your own internet at home, you can BTFON but not seeing as many as I used to

10. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

jarvisor wrote a piece about combining 3 households broadband, it's available here

it basically requires your neighbours permission, but also could impact security, so ideally you need to trust them, and they need to trust you.

i personnaly have 2 broadband lines, and combine them using a netgear prosafe FVS336G dual wan router, set in load balancing mode, works great with steam and origin, when doing downloads.

one thing you could do, is club together with your neighbours, and buy some ethernet modems, a multi wan port router wireless access points for each house, setup some virtual lans for each household, run a couple of cables to each house(1 for wan, 1 for network) that way you all have access to a load balanced better speed (so long as not everyone is using it to download stuff at same time).

Last edited: 29 May 2012