1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Emergen-C, Done! And spoilers.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by 500mph, 7 Dec 2008.

1. 500mph

500mph The Right man in the Wrong place

Alright, here's the deal. I am doing this mod so I can finally get Silent Night taken apart and ready to mod.
    Please excuse the quality of the pictures, the camera i have to use right now isnt that great.

[​IMG]
    Here is the case as it stands now. Painted white chassis with orange highlights.
    That is a Xigmatec Apache cooler, behind that is this ram-
    [​IMG]
    Geil Cas4 DDR2-800
    That orange sata cable is actually from my Dell, but it suits this mod.

I had sleeved all the front panel wire, and all the PSU wires. I am painting the PSU right now, and I plan on getting This fan and put that inside the psu instead of the stock fan.
    I am going to trade a friend my 3650 for a 7800GT which performs slightly better, but doesn't have DX10. I might put this cooler on it if I decide to trade.

I ordered this Zotac motherboard based on the 8100 chipset, as well as a 4850e due to it's low power demands. I am working with a 300w psu here. Well, I'm off to paint the PSU.
    Here are some photo's of me trying to be artistic with such a pitiful camera. That black stick of ram is the heatspreader off of a stick of Wintec Ampx ram on Kingston memory
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 19 Jan 2009
  2. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I'm liking the colour combo, this should be good.

3. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Suggestions first use my camera and my mini tripod.
    comments second. love it.

4. 500mph

Alright, I have decided to do a little mod on the powersupply first. It has that nice big 120mm fan in there doing nothing but cooling it. I figured that even a small hole in the casing would allow airflow to the back. So I found an old power supply, Cut the mesh out of it, and I am now getting ready to cut a hole in the power supply to fit the mesh.
    [​IMG]

And I am going to paint the fan blades Orange
    [​IMG]

Now should I paint the insides of the side panels orange, white, or keep them the way they are.
    [​IMG]

5. The boy 4rm oz

I am thinking white interior and exterior with orange accessories such as cables, zip ties etc. That's what I am planning to do for a future mod, I will actually make 2, a white and a black variant.

6. 500mph

Sounds like a good idea. I think I'll let you do that since you would be able to pull it off better.
    I guess for now I'll leave the side panels as the Alu they are. It will go with the silver screws and fins on my heatsink. The cables from the power supply are already sleeved with black(the local Radioshack had a kit for $5) as well as the ones from the front panel. They will go with the black motherboard.
    I'm keeping the Sata Cables orange, since I have the one in the pictures and the motherboard come with one. I have a pci slot cooler that I may paint orange.

The outside I think I will keep stock. As much as I would like to paint the silver parts white, I know that they would get dirty quickly as the computer will be in my moms basement. The orange would be better since it is flat, but I dont want something that would appear garish to my mother. I am going to change out the blue LED's in the front with some orange ones I ordered off of ebay.

Edit: I did have an idea about the sleeving. I have a few orange balloons and I was going to take the neck off of them and use that as a cover for the heat shrink, but It didn't turn out as I liked it

Last edited: 8 Dec 2008
  7. The boy 4rm oz

Sounds good. Feel free to use my idea if you want. The mods I was talking about atre going to be a long time in the future.

8. 500mph

Ah. Thanks for the offer. I am going to get Silent Night done after this, then I'm off to college. I'll be paying that off for the next few years, so I don't think I will be doing anything more for a while unless it is "revisiting" Silent Night. ;)

9. 500mph

Haha! Guess what I did!

Painted the wrong side of the fan. :wallbash:

Anyways I'm getting ready to put the PSU together. The motherboard and processor should be here tomorrow!:)
    I have to get some electrical tape to finish off some stuff in the PSU and cover up some of the cables. This PSU is like others with an incredible tangle of wires near the board which becomes a pain to sleeve.

Spoilers!
    [​IMG]

.... want to know a good thing about having a white chassis?
    You can use whiteout to fix scratches. I had to improvise after struggling with the power supply cable for half an hour.
    Updates tomorrow....:grr:

Last edited: 8 Dec 2008
  10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Ahhh, its's good to be young and able to 'struggle with my power cable' for thirty minutes.:lol:

Nice color scheme. Liquid paper is a bit of a copout, White auto touchup paint or a white paint pen would be better.

11. 500mph

Good point, I may have to get some white touchup paint. Whiteout was the first thing I could find.

12. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

love the colors for some reason i think of mirrors edge when i see it. I need to get some touch up paint for my case also.

13. 500mph

I thought you might like to see some pictures of the finished PSU.
    Here are some, and I will post pics of it in the case later.

[​IMG]

There is a sticker for Geil on the fan for a reason.

[​IMG]

Now you see why I want electrical tape.

[​IMG]

Oh man I need a better camera.

If I ever do a proper mAtx build, a Sugo is the smallest I will go.

[​IMG]
    The Cooler and Ram will be higher up whenever the motherboard gets here.....

Last edited: 9 Dec 2008
  14. tranc3

tranc3 ADHD Modder

Looks pretty awesome man. loving the colors they go great together.

15. The boy 4rm oz

Looks good. Isn't the fan supposed to suck air into the PSU, not push it out?

16. 500mph

It's pulling air out because it is the only vent for the chassis right now. If it was sucking air in most of it would go into the case.

17. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

i like the psu and colors. nice vent. :)

18. 500mph

Thanks!

Guess what finally came!
    [​IMG]

Also, I cut it pretty close with clearances between the ram and heatsink.
    [​IMG]

More pics tonight. I have it up and running right now @Bios.

Awww darn it. I didn't know Hyrid Sli was Vista only. Now i'm debating about upgrading this system to Vista when Windows 7 is close. By the time it would take my mother to learn Vista she would have to learn 7 next, which doesnt have support for Hybrid Sli from what I have read.

Last edited: 9 Dec 2008
  19. 500mph

[​IMG]
    The best side

[​IMG]
    What the back looks like right now

[​IMG]
    OH GOD WHAT HAPPENED

[​IMG]
    HOW DO I COMPUTER

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the jungle!

[​IMG]
    Painting the fan bracket

[​IMG]
    Incense burner

Last edited: 10 Dec 2008
  20. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

Remember its always better to wait a few months(/years) before adopting the latest offering from microsoft. Go for Vista.