1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Heatsinks and coatings

Discussion in 'Modding' started by That Bald Guy, 10 Apr 2009.

1. That Bald Guy

That Bald Guy Hi-Tech Redneck

OK, so I'm sorry if I did not post this in the correct spot, but I am curious...

Has anyone done any testing on powder coated heat sinks? The place I work is a metal fab and Powder coat shop, so I have access to all sorts of crazy fun things to work with. I was thinking of making some heat sinks, and having them PC a translucent pearl, cause I like the look, but I'm afraid that the PC will hold more of the heat in. Really, I'm pretty sure that it will, but my thoughts are that if there is enough airflow, that the added heat retention will be offset? Any thoughts?

-TBG

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You might be able to get away with it on a hardrive cooler, but heatsinks are having a hard enough time keeping up with the newer chips.
    You could PC some brass-topped waterblocks and radiators, though.:naughty:

3. That Bald Guy

I am having them run a test on a spare video card heatsink, with a candy color right now, should have that today or Monday. least that should let me see how much that changes things. Maybe from that I can do some :geek: (math) and try to figure things out. Been tossing around WC for a little while on the ground-up case I'm planning, and if that's the final thought, I'd be OK NP. I love the look of machined aluminum, but sometimes it's just not fancy enough.

4. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Anodising can give some nice translucent finishes and does not detract from performance.

Black paint is pretty common as a budget job but I guess it's much thinner than powder coat?

5. That Bald Guy

Anodizing does do the same thing, but PC is free for me... :D PC can be thin, depends on how you put it on, how many coats, ect, just like paint.

6. OtakuHawk

OtakuHawk What's a Dremel?

I guess you'll be the first to test it out. be sure to post full temp readouts and pics!