1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apache (in Xampp) wont start.

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by Gambler, 8 Dec 2007.

1. Gambler

Gambler What's a Dremel?

Hey all!

I am having more trouble than usual with my local test server.

I recently set up a new virtual server and noticed that apache would refuse to start. It stalls on "Apache is starting port 80...Busy".

I tried deleting only the new virtual host, but there was no change. I deleted all of the virtual hosts, and now it does work. Adding a single virtual host (even ones that had worked before) cause apache to become a pissy 3yr old.

Any help?

2. Fophillips

Fophillips What's a Dremel?

Which operating system are you using, if you’re not using Windows I wouldn’t suggest using Xampp at all.

3. OleJ

OleJ Me!

If you're on Mac you could try MAMP
    Linux... LOL you should know what to use. ;)
    Windows: Running XAMPP myself on my server. I've had Apache bug my a lot earlier because of the XAMPP control panel. It refused to start and wouldn't load as a service and was behaving oddly.
    The solution (for me) was simply using the XAMPP Control Panel to remove Apache as a service. Stop Apache. Reboot. Add Apache as service and then reboot once more. Dunno if it will solve it for you but I recommend giving it a go.
    Otherwise I'd recommend using the XAMPP forums ;-) As there are probably more XAMPP users with some good tips on what to do.

Edit: When you say "new virtual server" what are you then referring to? If you're running a virtual machine (VMWare, Microsoft Virtual Machine etc.) try setting Apache up on a random port other than 80. Or at least try defining port 80 in your conf to see if that helps.

4. Michele

Michele What's a Dremel?

Heya

i had a similar problem. seems that port 80 which is the default port for apache in my case was being used by skype. it said it was busy and just wouldnt run. you can try to change the port or go into the xampp folder and click xampp-portcheck.exe that will tell you if the port is already being used that is using it. uninstall that program and you should be ok. i was anyhow. otherwise try to change the port apache listens to.

5. Kaemon

Kaemon What's a Dremel?

If XAMPP Apache won't start...
    and your not running IIS...
    and you're not running Skype...

Continue reading. Solution below (Windows)

First, open C:\xampp\apache\logs\error.log and see what the error is.

If the error says that a port is already in use, the instructions below will explain how you can determine which application is using that port (Windows).

My error log entry said that Port 443 was already being used (and I wasn't running IIS or Skype)

(OS 10048)Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted. : make_sock: could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:443
    no listening sockets available, shutting down

To determine which application is using Port 443 (or port 80), do the following (Windows)

1. Open a DOS window - Start | Run | "CMD"
    2. Type the following: netstat -aon
    3. Find the local address using :443 (example: 127.0.0.0:443)
    4. Now find the PID associated with that active connection (last column) - This is the application that's using that port.

To figure out what application is associated with that PID, do the following:
    5. Open Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) and select the Processes tab.

By default, you will only see the following columns in the Process Tab:
    - Image Name
    - UserName
    - CPU
    - Mem Usage

6. From the dropdown menu, Click "View" and then "Select Columns..."
    7. Place a check next to PID (Process Identifier) - you will now be able to see the PID for each application running
    8. Find which process is associated with the PID

You have now identified which application is screwing up your Apache Service.

btw, my problem was PMB.EXE, which is Pando Media Booster. Pando Media Booster is the Peer-to-Peer downloader client for Dungeons and Dragons Online. As soon as I uninstalled it, Apache started no problem.

I hope that helps someone. :)

6. seamoh

seamoh What's a Dremel?

Thank you very much , it helps me lot

7. seamoh

seamoh What's a Dremel?

Thank you Kaemon , you help me a lot

8. adilpak47

adilpak47 What's a Dremel?

BEST SOLUTION:

Do you have skype?

If you answerd yes, Go into skype options > Advanced > Connection, You'll see a box ticked, beside that it will say Use port 80 and 443 for incomming connections, What you need to do it UNTICK that box, and click okay. close skype, like quit it so it isn't running. After you quit it once, you can re-open it again. That should solve your issue if you have skype. :)