1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice £400 Gaming Pc!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by legendzarr, 5 Apr 2012.

1. legendzarr

legendzarr What's a Dremel?

Hey guys! Just wanted some help with a new pc im planning, mainly for skyrim on ultra! Any help would be great!

Budget:£400

Main uses of intended build:
    Gaming

Parts required:
    Everything except mice and keyboard (including monitor)

Monitor resolution:
    1280x720

Storage requirements:
    Not to much, ill buy more when the prices go back to normal!

Any motherboard requirements (no. of USB, Xfire/SLI, fan headers):
    Quite a few usb ports, no sli or xfire, dont mind about anything else

Extra information about desired system:
    Be able to play skyrim at a consistent 30fps minimum

Thanks in advance! And thanks to javaman for the template!

Last edited: 5 Apr 2012
  2. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

hmmm skrim on ultra at 1080p, including a monitor for less than £400?

not going to happen.

but in the chance it does, il post here as i want to witness the fellow who manages to construct such a system for the op

as for my constructive addition to the thread other than telling you it wont happen in that price range,

id say if you want to oc as well, you are looking at a minimum of £550. closer to 600. a monitor will set you back at least £100 then you need a card which will max skrim. and a board which will hold a good oc

the 2500k is a given. (£160) its great for games and you want to overclock. then try something like a p8p67 pro from asus (£110), then 8gb corsair vengeance (£45), a decent cooler (£30), a hdd (£45)

^ thats £390 there, excluding the screen

as for graphics card? hmmm. personally, i dont know when the other cards from nvidia are coming, but id wait for them. otherwise, perhaps something like a 6950? or maybe a 6870, but i dont know if thatl max skyrim. im not familiar with 1080p

then you have a case, approx £90 etc

Last edited: 5 Apr 2012
  3. legendzarr

Hmm, whatdo you think i should do too put the cost down then?

4. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

well, i think its the fact you need a monitor, (and trust me you dont want to skimp on a monitor, you want to pay at least £100 for a 1080p one), and the fact you want to max skyrim on it. The overclocking isnt that big of a deal although it does contribute to the overall cost.

If i were you id present myself with a few options and pick from them:

1)dig a little deeper into your pockets and up your budget by a couple hundred, telling yourself it will be worth it in the long run

2) stay with what you have for now, buy the main parts of your new rig, and save until you can afford the remainder - basically dont buy a half assed system because you dont have the cash at the minute, theres no rush! If you have pc building fever, then do this. you will have fun building it you just can use it yet, then in a few months you might have more money to buy the rest!

I mean, even if you went amd cpu, and got a slightly worse gfx card, you wouldnt be saving any significant sum of money.

if your budget is set in stone, im afraid you can only wait and save up, or get a pc (and monitor) you might be dissapointed with. so id advise you to buy some good parts now until you have maxed your budget then wait until you can afford the rest.

do you really not have any monitor around the house you could use in the meantime? it will only be temporary after all

5. legendzarr

Well, ok,thanks a lot for the help!

6. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

no worries, as i say, £600 would be a good place to start if you want a monitor as well.

7. Nazata

Nazata What's a Dremel?

j4mi3 certainly knows what he's talking about, saving a bit more will definitely be worth it.
    Adding the cost of PSU, monitor and GPU to j4mi3's estimate would probably bring it over 600 (if good quality parts are used) but dropping to 4gb of ram would have little to know effect if you really want to save. Gelid Tranquillo (CPU cooler) is around £25, sometimes less also.
    And don't forget Scan's Today Only page, can easily cut £20-40 off a build when the deals are good.

It might seem irritating right now, but trust me, when you look at a new monitor playing Skyrim on top settings at 1080p, you'll know you've made the right choice.

8. Thaifood

Thaifood Minimodder

Have you read the April Issue of Custom PC? System on there for £350 without a moniotor that can play Skyrim on max settings

9. lm_wfc

lm_wfc Minimodder

Pretty tight budget to include a monitor, I'd get a decent monitor and accept turning down the graphics for now, then upgrade later.
    Gpu will have the most effect but will also be the first thing that needs upgrading. Buy your speakers monitor psu and maybe case to last, the rest of it will be obsolete much quicker

10. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

As others have said, you need to up your budget. I put two builds together on Scan. The Intel one would be able to max it at 720p (as in OP) but does not include a monitor. The AMD one includes a good monitor (1080P) but would not be able to max every setting out.

Intel

AMD (FM1)

Both are over budget but are the absolute lowest I would go really. The Intel one would also go very well at 1080p but probably not maxing it out. You can make it cheaper by getting 20 posts on here then you qualify for free delivery from Scan. And also don't get Scansure protection.

N.B. Neither build includes Windows.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Second hand GPU is what you really need! Get a bargain on a proper graphics card and see what you can do with the rest of the cash.

Overall if you want to get something on a budget I always look for second hand buys, but the GPU's is really where it's at. Last gen card consume more power, but will still out-perform new cards at the same price bracket...

12. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

wait WHAT?

i get free scan delivery? duudddddeee i have been paying all this time. how do i get it free?

13. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

14. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

done, cheers

15. legendzarr

Thanks alot for all the help guys! Im going to see if i can raise the budget, i guess its always worth the wait!