1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Leak Testing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by naylormat, 9 Jun 2009.

1. naylormat

naylormat What's a Dremel?

I'm looking into the best way to leek test my WC loop when it all eventually arrives at my door.

This is the first loop iv built up, so i want to do it properly, and obviously don't want to fry anything :) I want to install the loop, and just leave the key components in the case while i leave running it a few hours ( i thinking around 3 ? ) before putting everything else in and starting to OC the beast :D

I intend having just the Mobo / CPU / Graphics & Loop in the case while i test it, leaving the PSU out and just running it off that, but i don't want to power up the Bord, just want power to the pump.

What i want to know is if theirs a way of jumping / shorting so i can power the Pump without the Bord, or even better a way of powering the pump without the PSU. Happy to knock together a quick power lead or two to power it.

If not would is it just easier to know up a long-ish 3 pin extension n using the adapter to run it of the free power cable falling out oh the front oh me old desktop?

2. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

Don't plug the 24 pin and 4 pin connector to the board.

That should be it. The board should receive no power.

3. D-Cyph3r

D-Cyph3r Gay for Yunosuke

You need to jump the 24-pin ATX power cable to make the PSU start up and power your pump, else nothing will happen. Fortunately it's a easy as pie job: clicky. ;)

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

If you're using distilled water, it wouldn't be the end of the world if it did leak... but that's what I did. Just the board, GPU etc.... jumped the PSU to power the pump, and left it running until all air locks had worked their way to the res, then sit and watch.

5. naylormat

lol - that would still have left the pump with no power.

Chers D-Cyph3r, exactly what i was looking for :)

lol... thinks i might fide something to do in the mean time. Well, once iv got the air out that is. planing to leave it a good day now for leak test... just to be on the safe side

6. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

You plug the 4-pin molex to the pump, but you leave the motherboard power connectors out - this means no power to any 'computing' components and lets you run your pump by shorting the green and black wire on the 24-pin. Even if something leaks, none of your components will short since there's no power to them.

7. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

This has already been said.

8. sheninat0r

sheninat0r What's a Dremel?

Yeah, it's just naylor thought that doing so would leave the pump with no power - I felt that needed clarifying.

9. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

You just have to short the green wire with one of the black ones around it (ground).

Also, your motherboard and graphics card dont need to be in the case while leak testing.

10. naylormat

lol, no i knew that. was mentioning th point that not pluggin anything in would the pump unpowerd - as the original point gave notinfo to jumping the PSU - giving later in a previous post.

The phapics does./ its part of the loop