1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Eminem sues Apple for iTunes music downloads

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 3 Aug 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

£73k in damages for EACH download? I want to have a math degree that works like that. I'd make millions.

3. Naberius

Naberius What's a Dremel?

Thats would total stupid amount of money if it ever happens, makes you think what the long term effects would be on apple.

4. Queelis

Queelis What's a Dremel?

The silliest request I've seen so far. That'd probably give him billions. As if he was worth it :p

5. bilbothebaggins

bilbothebaggins What's a Dremel?

Isn't Law strange??

Eminem <- contract with -> Universal <- contract with -> Apple
    Now Eminem sues Apple ... interesting :confused:

6. Hugo.B

Hugo.B What's a Dremel?

I guess he knows that only too well. :rolleyes:

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

if you got to the shop and buy a cd you pay what.... £10?... there are like 15 songs on it... that makes £0.66 damage and not £73k per song...

8. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Avoid the middle man... Otherwise Eminem would sue Universal, Universal would Sue apple.

But now, it'll be Eminem sues Apple, Apple sues Universal, Universal sues Eminem

9. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Can I sue one of them? I want 73k sterlings a song as well!

10. Loz

Loz Blah Blah

£73,800 is approximately $150,000 which is, IIRC, the maximum amount allowed in situations such as this. That's the same figure the RIAA are fond of suing students for.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My thought exactly. How could someone possibly come up with such a stupidly high number? Like I've said from the outset of this, the most someone should have to pay for copyright infringement is the retail price plus enough extra that it's a deterrent to stealing and hoping for the best... and that deterrent isn't supposed to be PER SONG. I calculate that as 99c/track * number of tracks plus fifty bucks or so.

12. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Emimem is not exactly a, shall we say, functional guy... you can put his lawsuit in the same category as that of the judge who sued a drycleaner for millions over a (temporarily) misplaced pair of pants.

13. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

Sounds to me like some is becoming broke!

14. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

That can't be right, the RIAA isn't suing anyone there

15. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

Is that figure not, £73k for every download of his songs ?
    I don't believe you could sue £73 for each download of each song, you'd be talking about billions
    it seems odd he can sue apple, i would have thought he would have to sue universal, as they liscenced his songs without his permission
    And apple could sue universal for licensing them songs they don't have the licence for

I don't see how universal can sue anyone, their the ones who f**ked up

16. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

So what, did he wake up this morning and suddenly realize there was this thing called iPod and iTunes? He's an ass that purposely waited for as long as he could to rack up the counts and is now trying to cash in. He's a punk with a waning career hoping for one last score. Hope the judge bitch slaps him back across the railroad tracks.

17. Arkanrais

Arkanrais What's a Dremel?

I can sorta see where he's coming from but 73k per song? he needs to take his head out of his ass.
    then again I don't think it would be eminem himself but his lawyers asking/demanding that much money, and if you're asking that much, then it might make asking for a lower amount later seem less crazy than if he had asked for it strait up.

18. completemadness

completemadness What's a Dremel?

as this has been said so much i thought i would re-read it

Im pretty sure that means £73k in total (so if his songs have been downloaded 73k times, thats £1 per song), not £73k for each song

19. bloodcar

bloodcar Minimodder

The kicker is that apparently, Apple has been cutting cheques to Eight Mile Style for every download and they've been more then happy to take the money from Apple. Now I could understand if they weren't getting any money at all, but when they've been receiving money from Apple for a few years now, it just shows greed.

I think the biggest reason that Eminiem didn't sue Universal (and tbh, that's who the suit should have been filed against) is because that's Apple is a large company that isn't his record label and it will garner a lot of media attention. Personally, I don't listen to rap music and I'm just chalking him up on the list of bands that I just won't listen to anymore. He falls right into place behind Lars Ulrich from Metallica.

Tags: Add Tags