1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with Pump and XSPC BayRes bought from AT

Discussion in 'Watercooling' started by Zurechial, 26 Apr 2012.

1. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Hi Aquatuning, I recently bought some stuff from Aquatuning.de (I order from the German portal so that my prices will be in Euro, as I'm in Ireland, not the UK) and I'm having some trouble with a pump and bay reservoir that I bought.

Order #: 157416 placed on 10th April 2012, arrived on 23rd April via UPS

Problem items:
    Laing DDC-Pumpe 12V DDC-1T Plus
    XSPC Laing DDC Ausgleichsbehälter Dual Bay 5,25" für 1 Laing Pump

When operating while attached to the reservoir, the pump makes a very loud whirring/whining noise. The noise is not the kind of noise associated with air in the loop and it is just as loud when the reservoir is held away from the case; so I'm certain that it's not vibrational noise or a mounting issue.
    I attached an older spare DDC pump that I have to the reservoir to test it and the noise still occurs, though not as loudly.
    When the reservoir is tilted forwards somewhat, the noise is lessened; but the reservoir cannot be tilted like that while mounted properly in a chassis.
    Is there anything that can be done to fix this noise issue? It's not a minor problem, it's an irritatingly loud noise from the pump.

In addition, the new pump that I ordered appears to be faulty. After about an hour of operation it stopped reporting an RPM value to the motherboard (from the blue tach. cable of the pump) and then soon after started to make an even louder noise than before while also emitting a burning smell; so I switched it off and removed it from the loop.

I've only operated the pump with a full loop and with the reservoir filled, so I'm certain that it wasn't running dry or anything like that.
    Please advise me as to what can be done next.

Thanks.

2. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

Hi,

High noise issues are a common fault with the XSPC res im afraid. Are you using the anti vibration screws?

As for the pump this is something we can look at for you please contact info@aquatuning.de

Zurechial likes this.
  3. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Hey Nitrix, thanks for the reply.

Yeah, I've seen elsewhere that this reservoir is prone to noise; especially if the screws holding the pump to the reservoir are too tight so I loosened those and it helped somewhat.
    I also tested with my older 18W DDC 3.2 pump that I know to be silent with its stock top and other tops that I've used; And found that the same noise occurred, so I think it's the reservoir rather than the pump. Maybe something to do with how the inlet design affects the impeller.

The noise I mentioned in my original post isn't vibrational noise or rattling against the case so anti-vibration screws for mounting it in the case won't help, if that's what you meant. :(

With regards to the pump issue, I discovered that water had gotten into the PCB/coils part of the pump, which was what caused it to go crazy. I let the pump dry out and it appears to be working fine now with the correct RPM and everything else, so I won't RMA it for now because I unfortunately I can't afford to have my system out of action again in the near future while I wait for the replacement.

If the pump stops working or otherwise starts behaving erratically I'll get in touch again regarding an RMA.

Thanks again for the reply!

4. icemanTM

icemanTM What's a Dremel?

Got the RMA of ur XSPC res+oumo combo...?

5. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Hi Nitrix,

When you say
    Could you list which part(s) in the aquatuning site you are thinking of for this? I would like to buy them to try and alleviate some of the noise from my res. I looked and most of the anti-vibration screws / rubber mounts are for case fans...

eg in here:
    http://www.aquatuning.co.uk/index.php/cat/c513_Fans-decoupling.html

So please tell me where I can buy these anti-vibration screws and I will happily order them :)

Thanks,
    Jason

6. mav2000

mav2000 In Training

The bay res for single ddc pump has a design issue which causes this grinding type of noise. There is a way to solve this which is mainly by bleedin it with an aid. This issue happens because the inlet to the pump forces air down and the air goes straight into the pump instead of bleeding out causing the pump to run semi dry.

To solve this you need to cut a small piece of tubing and slit it down the middle so that you hav a "U" shaped piece of tubing. Then place this inside the res, between the Pump top and the pump with the hollow part facing uP. this makes sure the air bubbles don't go back into the pump.

If you need a pi will do it later this evening if possible

7. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

Yes if you could post pictures that would be fantastic! Thanks!
    Jason

8. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I have this item combo and don't have the associated problem.

In fact it's as quiet as a mouse.

9. aquatuning

aquatuning What's a Dremel?

the res has to be designed to take the anti vibration screws im afraid - the xspc ones are.

10. jashaf

jashaf What's a Dremel?

@nitrix

Sorry, the XSPC is or is not designed to take anti-vibration screws? If so which screws? I didn't receive any such screws with the XSPC dual bay res pump combo I bought. And if the XSPC res is designed to handle these things, then where can I buy them? :)

(This thread is associated with my questions on anti-vibration screws...)

Thanks,
    Jas

11. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

Sense no make?

I have no such screws for my bay res, doesn't make a sound.