1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Crucial Ballistix MOD: Temperature-sensing DDR3

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 22 Jun 2010.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Teh C

Teh C Arg

Who really cares about RAM temperature. Today a gaming rig will have 1600mhz RAM, and even at that speed have you ever heard a story about RAM overheating?

Also what is with more companies putting gimmicky heatsinks on RAM that do nothing but interfere with CPU coolers.

3. isaac12345

isaac12345 What's a Dremel?

Like Richard said,its useful for those who want to know more about their system while its running. It could be a useful tool for troubleshooting as well.

4. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

useful (to some), but I'd still prefer it on the small heatsink bearing modules.

@Teh C: People can push their RAM beyond stability, and this could help to show what's causing the instability.

5. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Meh, who really needs to know?

wouldn't a infrared temp gun be cheaper and more useful?

6. enikmaster

enikmaster What's a Dremel?

This is a welcome add-on. With so many memory kits out there, it's nice to see something different. And Crucial's memories aren't bad at all. could have lower voltages but still good rams...

7. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Who cares, it's not like they're charging a premium. I'd rather take this over a competing brand just for the sensor.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

IMO you just aren't going to accidentally overheat the rams anyway, and don't think anyone NEEDS this. That said, it's a nice little trick to stand from the crowd.

9. RonanH

RonanH mod-envious

If you're using a dedicated non air cooler on your cpu it's possible that there could be very reduced airflow over your RAM (and your pwm) so this is a nice addition to make sure that your ram isn't overheating. What is a safe temperature for RAM anyhow, I presume something at around the 70C mark...

To those that say it's useless... I remember when on die cpu temperature readings were either non existent, useless or not supported by the mobo. You were flying on a wing and a prayer if you wanted to OC, guessing what was causing the crashes. The same could be said for RAM. Once it's not a price premium and it will become available on all memory it can only be an added value thing.

10. LightningPete

LightningPete Diagnosis: ARMAII-Holic

You may need this to see whether you can actually squeeze any more mhz from your RAM. No one ever mentions that the RAM modules can overclock further because of lower temperatures. They just assume the modules just cant overclock further. This will give people who like overclocking memory just as much as their CPU an indication whether temperature is a limiting factor.

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

The only time ram cooling seemed important was back in the age of BH-5, CH-5 and TCCD, where those chips got flipping boiling, and you couldnt get through the BIOS unless you ghetto rigged an 80mm over the top of the chips.

12. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

a nice to have if not that useful - it would make me choose one set of chips over another if there isnt much price difference

13. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, there's a lot of people out there that have failures they cannot explain, this way you could at least exclude the ram-temps :D

It's not needed, but nice to have and makes a lot more sense tham LED's on the rams...and people buy that. :naughty:

14. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

At least there's a benchmark for boredom now. I'm using adobe creative suit, blender and playing music.

*quick test---sticks hand in case, RAM = cool to touch*

15. blighter

blighter What's a Dremel?

Agreed, and the more temperature monitoring you have, the more likely you'll get a possible heads-up if a case fan or something stops working. :worried:

16. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

I think if it was included in programs like SpeedFan and CoreTemp it would be quite useful to get a overall picture of where the heat is in your machine.

17. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

YAY!!! RAM TEMPS

Fap Fap Fap Fap

18. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

AWESOME... I want all RAM to follow this and have a temp sensor built in, anything and everything should have temp sensors ^_^ Great for those who love to OC.

19. icewind

icewind What's a Dremel?

This would be quite easy to DIY. All memory modules need to have a serial presence detection IC (the small 8-pin-thingy sitting in a lone corner of the ram most of the time) that is coupled to the board's management bus, so the board can see what memory it gets. People have already used the proper bus-pins on their rams to mount extra LM75 or similar temperature sensors in their case, so why not just glue 'em to the ram itself? I guess that's about what Crucial did ^_^

20. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Want to know if your RAM is overheating? Touch it. Do you have Corsair (or whatever brand you have) burned into your finger tip backwards? Yes? It's overheating. No? Game on!

;)

Tags: Add Tags