1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress [Completed] Nizr's W2AX - Cooltek (Jonsbo) W2

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Nizr, 27 May 2015.

1. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Sponsored by
    [​IMG]

Introduction
    Hi everyone! First build log here, and first one in English!
    I have been building computers for 12 years. Always doing small projects and modifications, but never paid attention to looks, only fuction.
    I used to work as a web designer and UX developer, but last summer i quit, fed up with a desk job.
    However, the urge to create hit me this spring and here i am, posting my second build log in a couple of months! You can view my first log over at sweclockers.com (in swedish!) Log - Gallery.

This time the theme is Exclusivity, performance, industrial and aluminium. The case is a Cooltek W2 Silver (Jonsbo). I will go at it hard, doing modifications both internal and external! Did i mention Exclusive? Yeah, plastic is not that exclusive is it, will have to change that...
    I don't know all the hardware just yet, depends on sponsors...

Components
    Case: Cooltek W2.
    Motherboard: MSI z97 Mpower.
    CPU: Intel 4790K
    GPU: MSI GTX 980 Ti Gaming 6G.
    RAM: Teamgroup Vulcan 16GB 2133Mhz.
    PSU: SilverStone ST1000-G Evolution 1000W.
    SSD/HDD: 2x480GB Teamgroup L3 SSD.
    Cooling: TBA.

Planed mods
    * Cut out in the front panel for greater airflow - will require Laser or water cutting.
    * If possible, cover the i/o on the side, put start button at the top of the case.
    * Cover fans and/or radiators with aluminnium (black).
    * Place SSD's so that they are visible through the side panel.
    * Remove HDD/ODD in the right chamber.
    * Cover up the right chamber in aluminium (black).
    * Surprice mod...!
    * Simple mods to improv air output/intake in the back and bottom.
    And then the usual remove paint/repaint the components to match the build.
    Let's do this, join me!

Last edited: 19 Dec 2015
  2. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Update 1 - The case

Sponsor
    Cooltek

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Such a beauty!
    [​IMG]

I will get a tripod this weekend, will do the photographing much easier!

3. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

Hi - as per the rules, because this has no pictures of 'work in progress', I've moved this to 'modding'.

Drop me a PM when you've added some WIP images and I'll move it back :thumb:

4. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

Ehm, so if i add a picture of a side panel dismounted or something else dismounted I'll be fine? Or the work of some mock ups in paper?

Just got me thinks since other logs are posted without any "work in progress" besides the starting case...

But oh well, if a new case don't count as I start I'll stay in this section until I have cut out my mock-ups of some cover panels!

5. jinq-sea

Here you go - this is what I mean - all you have at the moment is some pictures of the case.

...and no - taking the side of the case off is not modding in progress - haha!

6. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

The reason i'm confused is beacuse of other project logs with just photos of the case and some parts from it... But, no problem for me, i'll just post pics of actual work soon.

Off Topic: Is there no PM-funtion..? Can't seem to find it!

7. jinq-sea

There are, and users ate encouraged to let us know about them!

PM requires 10 posts I think :)

8. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Update 2 - Cut it and tape

Sponsor
    Cooltek

Just a tiny update. This evening i have been cutting and taping "mock ups" of the coer plates. Been trying out different ideas before i start to cut and bend the aluminium. Think i ended up in making a decision to cut out for a window in the right side panel as well.. I think i will do it. maybe. hmmm... not sure...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    My writing sucks, and most of you cant read swedish, right? Just to be safe i had to cover up a note that gave away a mod that i will make public later :)

Alright, that's it for this update. Next step i to start cutting and "bending" aluminium!

9. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Update 3 - Metal

Sponsor
    [​IMG]

This week is all about Metal. Metal and even more metal, saw and bend, even CNC, laser and water to cut metal.
    This was the first time i worked with metal. It was alot easier to saw in metal then what i excpected but it was much harder to bend it. Without proper tools the result is mediocer, it's hard to get sharp angles. I had to get some help, Thank you Alex for helping me bend the Aluminium, you saved me alot of swearing, blood and sweat ;)
    I still have alot more sawing and bending to do, but that will have to wait. Right now i have to mount theese plates to see how they fit with eachother.

Cooltek W2 - naked
    [​IMG]
    The bare frame - impressed over the quality of this case.

[​IMG]
    Removed the on/off, USB3 and front audio - how to start the computer now....?

[​IMG]

Metal
    [​IMG]
    I do most of my work in the kitchen, my wife don't always approve :)

[​IMG]
    Untreated surfce - still alot of work to do.This plate will be mounted on above the PSU. Cover the motherboard plate and cables.

[​IMG]
    This is only the beginngin. Aluminium för the right chamber only.

A big thank you to Justin aka Metallic Acid for helping me acquire the aluminium.

10. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

Whish i could drop you a PM... Trying this way instead!

11. jinq-sea

There we go! I'm on mobile at the mo so either one of my fellow mods will sort, or I'll do it when back at a computer. :thumb:

12. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

Any eta on this?
    Edit: yaj! Finally :)

Last edited: 5 Jun 2015
  13. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Update 4 - Sponsor

Sponsor! - Not that easy for you guys to order from this one...
    [​IMG]
    They sponsor this project with awesome spray paint!​

Skapamer.se sponsor this project with Primer, Paint and protective coating (and gloves, tried without in my last project, did not end well ;) )

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I will re-paint the whole inside of the case. It was semi matte, i want i matte matte ;). I'll also have to paint all the aluminium plates that will go inside the case.
    I also got some hardware incomming! Look forward to some hardwarepr0n soon!

How do you like the new style of the photos? Think i'll stick to this with future product updates!

14. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]

Update 5 - Saw, brush and wash

Sponsors
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three weeks since last update, i am really sorry for that!
    Theese past three weeks i've been thinking: Anodize or a regular paint job, brush all the aluminum or not? You could say i've been thinking theese past 3 weeks ;)
    I am happy to say that right now i am in a flow - things are starting to get into place and it feels great!

I have a question to you. Do you like to watch livestreams of computer moding/building? Please let me know!
    Enough talking, more photos!

[​IMG]
    "Fångad av en stormvind" Caputed by a lovestorm (https://youtu.be/_S3YFhlEakg?t=1m49s) - No more resistance for the fans! Well. except for the dust filter ofc. And the video.. It's complicated, Something about wind - and fans and well.. Guess you understand if you are from sweden ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Not verry round.. I'd rather go to small then to big thoug. The roundness is made by the help of a rasp.
    [​IMG]
    The "floor" will be covered by this plate and painted matte black. As you can see i have to go at it with the rasp again. I need to get a Dremel...

[​IMG]
    All the panels that are to be painted matte black have been brushed. Just a light brushing to get some texutre. This one will go into the right chamber, cover the motherboard midplate and some cables. 

[​IMG]
    The aluminium plates and the frame, all brushed and cleaned. Ready for painting! This was a long evening in the workshop.

[​IMG]

Until next time!

15. Icelander

Icelander Minimodder

MAN that case has some potential and I would love to get my hands on and do a Mod.
    very nice work so far man :D

16. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

It sure have! Go and get one, quite cheap :)
    And thank you! Hope you will stick around watch the progress!

It really is a nice case, well planned and breathes quality! I will try to keep it minimalistic, but with some added tweaks and improvements:)

17. Vetalar

Vetalar *learning english*

well this cade already has nice industrial look and has some potential! i'll watch!

18. stealth80

stealth80 Minimodder

I really like that aluminium look of this case

19. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

Hope you'll enjoy it, and welcome :)

20. Nizr

Nizr What's a Dremel?

[​IMG]
    Update 6 - Brush and paint - I am on a vacation!

Sponsors
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm on vacation, but that do not keep me from updating the log :)
    I've been sanding and applied a layer primer on all the parts that is to be black. I've also "brushed" the one part that wont be getting any color.
    The frame of the case had, like most cases, a semi blank surface. I want it to be matte black, and i've seen the end results.. And it's great, really, rellay great!
    But you will have to wait for that, in this update its's some priming only :)

[​IMG]
    I have tried several different grit sandpaper and sand"sponge" but a simple sponge, that you do the dishes with gave the best result.

[​IMG]
    Observe that this part will have some layers of matte coating, i think it will gave a great finish!

[​IMG]
    All ready to go, sanded, and cleaned with alcohol - ready for first run of primer!

[​IMG]
    Love this brand of spray paint! A cap with a wider "spray" and you get a great result, to get a better result an air brush or similar is what you need.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The next time you see this case and parts it will be with a finished paint job. But before that you will get a first look at some amazing hardware!

What have you been up to this week, vacation? Give me your thoughts :)
    See you in about a week!