1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Trion announces new multiplatform MMO

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 8 Jun 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Rift rocks!

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Hold on, what...
    Peacefully co-exist?!

4. freemmorpg

freemmorpg What's a Dremel?

I still like RIFT

5. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

This sounds really cool but as all other MMO's without a blue Blizzard logo it will fail miserably :(

6. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

That's highly silly to say. Rift is going strong, as are loads of other MMOs. You don't need millions of subscribers to make something successful.

7. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I think historically 'a smooth blend of the shooter and MMO genres' never quite comes out as a good cocktail.

8. Kiytan

Kiytan Shiny

this has a lot of good elements in it. Rift is a solid (if a little dull) MMO, and Farscape was ****ing awesome. (still no idea how Rockne is pronounced). I do like the overall idea of having a tv show and MMO concurrently

Having said that, I can't help but feel it will suck. Also, how will cross-platform play work? (if it works at all) and without it being VERY open (like eve and such) I don't really see how it could have much of an influence of the show.

(and seriously 3 MMO's for trion, thats a hell of a lot of work going on)

9. Eiffie

Eiffie What's a Dremel?

That picture gives me memories of resistance 2 and homefront, i guess the golden gate bridge is the place to be when the crap hits the fan.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

LOL @ ..."humans and aliens have only started to peacefully co-exist". Then, 'intense action of an AAA console shooter'

So not peaceful then.

11. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

Sounds along the lines of Mass Effect. Its a similar viewpoint story wise.

12. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I suspect it may be something like Hellgate: London used to be (Shame I never got to get in on that) still; executed correctly it should be a good idea.

13. 2bdetermine

2bdetermine What's a Dremel?

Rift had a decent graphic, bad music and dull combat system etc.

AoC is the only current MMO worth playing.

14. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

I'm enjoying Rift and would take a look at another Trion offering. As far as being "boring," to each their own. Many people are finding WoW quite boring and little challenge. Rift is just getting started.

15. rogerrabbits

rogerrabbits What's a Dremel?

Hmm I thought the combat system is the best thing about Rift! Best MMORPG combat I've ever played. I get so much satisfaction playing it with my Mage and Rogue. My Mage has crowd control, great damage and damage over time, heals, and lots of utility, so it's very involving to play. I love building up the charge and then unleashing a big powerful stream of healing or damage or whatever. And then my Rogue is more straightforward but I like that I can interrupt spells, stealth and open fights with a powerful attack, and build up the combo points to then unleash. I have tactics where I can spend the combo points in 4 distinct different ways that help me but I need to pick the right one at the right moment. It's amazing..

I agree the music isn't great though. Age of Conan I got bored with in one month. Combat was original which I liked, but it was just frantic button mashing combat. I much prefer Rift where there is more thought about what you do.

16. DriftCarl

DriftCarl Minimodder

what happens when syfy cancel the TV show after 13 episodes like they seem to do with all good sci-fi tv shows recently.

17. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Good point!

18. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Worse than that: what about all the players from Europe and elsewhere in the world who won't be able to see the show until a few months after it's aired in the States?

Tags: Add Tags