1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Cheap Korean 27" IPS Monitors

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by docodine, 8 Mar 2012.

1. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1675393

http://www.overclock.net/t/1215866/...g-90hz-achieva-shimian-qh270-and-catleap-q270

Basically, 2560x1440 27" IPS monitors for half the price of Apple, Dell, etc.

Does anyone here have any experience with these? Apparently these monitors have the same panels as the Apple 27" display, but they're being sold for ~$400 (£250) on eBay. More for the more feature-full variants (OSD, better dead pixel guarantees, etc).

I've already started budgeting for one, and might buy by the time my birthday rolls around next month.

Quality seems to be extremely hit and miss, especially on the one with the glass screen. Reports of bits of dust stuck inside the housing aren't uncommon. Backlight bleed also seems to be all over the place.

Some variants have VESA mounts, which is pretty neat.

These are definitely not better than the U2711 or others, but for the price they seem fantastic.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

wow, that's fantastic value. a bit of casing lottery, but the actual panels should be solid. (since there's only one LG IPS that does this resolution)

i would say go for it, looks like a great deal.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

4. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'm liking the 95Hz-97Hz refresh rate. :)

5. longweight

longweight Possibly Longbeard.

If they do a 30" version I will be all over it for my desk at work!

6. GoodBytes

I am voting that the monitor circuitry is busted, or the circuit drops it down to 60Hz, so you are feeding the monitor more frames it can actual handle.. don't ask what it will do to gaming. It might even break the circuit inside at a long term... (especially that I highly doubt that there is any quality out of these) who knows, but the specs states 60Hz, If people desires to push it, well to bad for them.

7. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

They do seem like an alright deal on B-grade panels. I'm still going to wait and see what LG prices the upcoming DM series at. Considering how competitive pricing was on BN series these might not turn out to be that great of a deal.

8. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

I'm curious to see the actual quality of one of these panels. I've been wanting IPS goodness for a while, and upgrading to 2560x1440 while i'm at it would be nice.

9. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

I'm rocking a couple of the LG BN panels and they're great! Especially at £126 each.
    Even if the monitor is that much of a bargain, I still wouldn't be tempted if they're hit and miss.

10. Mac_Trekkie

Mac_Trekkie Source Engine's #1 fan!

It seems to have pretty solid reviews, and a couple of the Catleap variant sellers on EBay have near perfect feedback. I might try getting one, I'm in no need of professional level controls like the U2711 has, and at this price I don't see how I could pass it up, since it's about the same as the Dell U2412m I was eyeing up.

11. GoodBytes

Never listen to user reviews. Else the 80$ TN panel, no stand included, and you have to drill your own VESA holes yourself, would also be an excellent choice.
    The problem is that people consider price... and anything can be a "good deal". That is also why we don't have nice things, and consumer computer are bombarded with junk and advertisement per-installed, only 1 year warranty, horrible warranty service, horrible after sale service, and cheap quality.

The reason why I am not exited by this, is because I was exctlay like you.
    "Oh RAM is RAM, I won't overclock it. Let me buy this no name value pack value RAM", same for everything with my computer down to keyboard and mouse. I was like "A mouse is a mouse, I won't fall for these marketing crap and fancy colors and spending more than 8$ on a mouse.". I was usng VIA chipset. The only thing that was not crap was my CRT monitor, because I had no choice, as the flickering was too much, so I had to get a monitor, not only with a fast response time, but also higher grade phosphore to stop it, and the GPU, because I had to play games.

All I had was problems, everything was not enjoyable, which made everything sucked. The computer was noisy, always crashing, my keyboard was impossible to type on, and keys stops working shortly after. Friends laughing at me for all the problems I had with the system, forum (not here) gave up on helping me. This is where I had enough. I worked my ass off during summer to save up and get myself and high-end (not really spec wise, but I did spend 700$ on a CPU, to get AMD's (Intel had nothing alike) first Dual Core, 64-bit CPU. And it never caused me any issues since, And it's still running today.. it pass thought XP, Vista 64-bit with an enjoyable experience, and now Win7 64-bit.
    My dad uses it now, as the CPU isn't powerful enough for my needs, but still awesome how far it keeps going. It passed though a few keyboard and mouse, but always great ones, which made the experience very enjoyable. And today I continue this path.

This is what i expect from this monitor:
    -> Floating stand (the monitor will hold in in place)
    -> Terrible back light bleeding
    -> Terrible back light evenness
    -> Horrible build quality
    -> 0 warranty
    -> 0 support
    -> Will break in a year (else you got a manufacture error, lucky you)
    -> Average colors (a la TN panels,)
    -> not great ACTUAL response time

And of course glossy.
    Is it worth it? Not in my book.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  12. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Glossy screen. I'll pass.

13. .//TuNdRa

.//TuNdRa Resident Bulldozer Guru

Glossy; I can live with. The colours appear to be better in all comparison images I've seen. (Yes, even on my TN panel.) Backlight bleed doesn't look anywhere near as bad as my current screen, so that would be an improvement. Blacks look better. I'm going to be sticking it on a VESA mount anyway, so even if the stand is crap; It doesn't matter.

At the end of the day; I think we all recognize it's not going to be amazingly high quality. However: If it proves to be better than everything else at the same price-point, and doesn't explode within a short amount of time; what is there to loose? I've known some exceptionally cheap components that have just refused to die before now.

Everything I can find so far, albeit in Korean, claims that the panels are actually reasonably good. Not groundbreaking amazing like the U2711, but considering it's not much over half the price; I wouldn't complain too much about it.

Last edited: 9 Mar 2012
  14. j4mi3

j4mi3 What's a Dremel?

No way in hell would I risk that. Also good reviews can easily be done by the sellers themselves

15. longweight

I just want the big resolution, I don't care about the colour quality that much.

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

To anyone considering this monitor, be aware that you are entering a lottery.

On the one hand you might get a good deal - a 27" 2560x1400 IPS panel for ~£300

On the other hand you might get a panel riddled with dead pixels, that lasts a year, with absolutely no chance of a refund. Be aware that a new Dell U2711 with a three year warranty and pixel guarantee costs £600 or so - and that is not a rip off.

Goodbytes advice is sound, but of course, the decision is yours.

17. longweight

Yeah I know but I don't need the U2711 quality at work, I love it at home but I just need more work space at work! 2, 1920 x 1080 monitors isn't good enough and the low resolution really bugs me!

18. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

my monitor is a cheap pos anyway that cost about the same as this so I might buy one of these at the end of the month - Then i'll let you all know how good/bad/ugly it is!

19. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Please do! :thumb:

20. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder