1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Leaked slide details AMD Bulldozer models

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 24 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

If the default frequencies are really that high, I'd be worried. Do AMD really need to clock such a new architecture so high to compete right at the start of its life cycle?

3. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

Who said the frequencies where high. Maybe its ultra low.

4. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

"Do you think they will be able to compete with Intel's Sandy Bridge chips?"

Clock for clock, core for core....no

I'm still going to assume a SB 2500k @ 4.2Ghz will be faster than a 4 core BD @ 4.2Ghz.

But as usual with AMD, they will use 6 & 8 cores to outpace the SB 4 cores...which is fine if the game/app your using is well multithreaded...not so great if you need all the single core speed you can get.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

I agree with both of the first 2 comments. Frequencies that high is really a big step for a brand new product, however, a frequency like that might actually be low. There are some IBM PPC based processors that operate at 5ghz for it's standard speed. Since this is a brand new architecture, 3.8ghz might actually be like what 2.6 used to be.

6. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Lets just wait and see : )

7. Birdy

Birdy What's a Dremel?

^+1

As fun as it is, we shouldn't be passing judgement when we only have some people's guesses and opinions to go on, and who says that the slides are genuine anyway?

Looking forward to it coming out though - is it June or July or what?

8. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Rumoured to be the week of the 20th June.

Rumoured

Bindi's hint on another thread about waiting two weeks before upgrading has me wondering if they might be a little earlier.

9. tad2008

tad2008 What's a Dremel?

Being able to upgrade from a dual core running at 3Ghz to 8 cores at 3Ghz+ would me a monumental upgrade and huge jump in performance for me.

10. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I thought it was more of 3.3GHz stock, 3.8GHz max turbo on all cores, and a max turbo on one core of 4.3/4.5GHz.
    All of the chips in the slide can turbo at max over 1GHz, for a single core.
    We already know that the desktop chips will turbo 500MHz max when all the cores are being used fully.

Not long to wait before the reviews come in ;)

11. DST

DST What's a Dremel?

I don't know about you but I'm tired of hearing "bulldozer this, bulldozer that". I don't care about leaks regardless of how amazing they look or what they tell.

Until I see head to head comparison of Intel- and Amd-based systems (similarly priced) - all these leaks are VAPORWARE to me

12. l3v1ck

l3v1ck Fueling the world, one oil well at a time.

Errr. The article you just read did (or at least it speculated).
    I'd have hoped a newer more efficient architecture would have been able to compete at lower clock speeds leaving room to improve in the future.

13. Action_Parsnip

Action_Parsnip What's a Dremel?

(Oh noes the clockm speeds are soo high!) + (Oh noes the clock speeds are soo low!) = Derp

14. Goty

Goty Minimodder

"High" and "low" clockspeeds are relative. As mentioned earlier, there are designs that hit several GHz higher than what we're used to now, so launching at even slightly below 4GHz would equate to a "low" clockspeed part. It's all dependent on the architecture.

15. warejon9

warejon9 What's a Dremel?

Yea i think its CPC performance, i mean look at the i7 920 compared to the x4 965 in encoding etc etc. I hope that whatever AMD put out it will be good :) I think Intel has learned their lesson from the netburst eira. I feel sorry in a way for AMD considering how much bigger Intel is slightly unfair.

Also didn't SB launch with clocks in the range of 3ghz for the higher tier stuff? So who cares what speed they launch at, as long as their CPC is good and they don't burn a hole in your mobo.

16. OCJunkie

OCJunkie OC your Dremel too

Either way I'm excited, CPC performance might still land behind SB but for the price difference (I asssume) that's something I'm willing to accept. The article didn't mention any clocks but knowing AMD they'll have plenty of headroom... my 955's @3.8 on air and stock volt so I know it can do even better, and I expect BD to have that kind of flex too.

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

No, I said wait for the announcements and reviews before making a decision. I never commented on launch dates :)

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

And so begins the mhz(ghz) wars again.

I'm hoping these are the low end of the clocks, or they have mahoosive o/c potential :)

19. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Don't think anyone's said this yet but might aswell, could be that they want to obliterate Intel with their superior architecture so they have high stock speeds! Well, one can dream :p

Or it could just be that AMD is trying to increase expected clock speeds by pushing higher speeds for stock. We can't possibly stay in the 3GHz area forever.....or can we? :-(

20. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I've just confirmed with the motherboard dept.

This slide is FAKE

It is NOT from ASUS. We never use the term 'mainboard' or plain white slides without NDA information. ;)

Dear Paul, would you mind adjusting the news story to reflect this :) Thank you!

Last edited by a moderator: 25 May 2011
Tags: Add Tags