1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other EVGA Oc scanner and precision X

Discussion in 'Software' started by Whindog, 11 Apr 2012.

1. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Anyone out there use these 2 tolls for there OC.

I currently use afterburner in conuction with 3dMark however saw the precision reference in the NVidia driver update and from that also found OC scanner.

It seems pretty handy to have an artifact catcher, cause the one thing i hate about chaing my oc is watching it for artifacts.......

Anyone out there use these programs and how are you finding them?

If you have used them, please share your thoughts on these programs.

Cheers All

2. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

RivaTuner, MSI AfterBurner, EVGA Precision, EVGA OC scanner, are all the same. They all uses NvAPI (Nvidia drivers API) to get information about the graphic card, and to set a clock speed your specify.

You can make your own C++ program like GPU-Z, EVGA Scanner using the publicly available NvAPI here: http://developer.nvidia.com/nvapi

To change the clock of your graphic card, you need to access to the advance NvAPI library, which is only available to approved developers, and you need to sign a NDA. You can register as a developer here: http://developer.nvidia.com/nvidia-registered-developer-program

So in other words, assuming that all software are updated to support the latest NvAPI (in conjunction with the latest drivers), you basically pick your program skin.

I know all this, because I am working on my overclock software (but unlike these software, it works differently. You create/modify overclock/downclock profiles, and have it all switch automatically based on what game or application you run. Other advantages is to reduce the graphic card heat, noise, and on laptops, increase battery life by forcing the GPU at minimum speed all the time, no mater what you do on Windows. But have it clock to normal speed when you play a game, for example. And have some of your games clock to an overclock profile. It comes built-in various system, such as overheating protection, which will momentarily throttle the GPU to allow it to cool down, and return back to normal operation (or back to overclock profile), so it won't crash your game, or system.
    The list of games and application will be based on a community supported database. So as you add your games, if it's not there already, everyone else will have it. So basically, you only need to add a game or application if you are the first one using my software with the game. Also, the idea of the software is be non-intrusive at all, and auto-manages itself. It also considers if your system is on battery or plugged in, to maximize battery life.

My desktop is quieter, yet lose no performance in games (as everything goes normal when I play my games. No interaction of my part needed), and I gain ~1 hour of battery life of actual usage on my laptop. Passing from 9h of battery life to ~10h, under Windows 7 64-bit. :)

I expect to be done with it, in summer.

The only advantage is that if you have an EVGA card with with EVGA overclock utility, it MIGHT be able to provide a bit of overclockability or get more information as they can add their own sensor, and provide the graphic card BIOS communication. So it can play better with voltages or something. And that IF they even bothered doing so. Same for MSI. :)

Last edited: 11 Apr 2012
  3. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

Doesn't afterburner have a furry msi artifact thing as well (kombuster?).

But yea they're all the same and the artifact things are tech from furmark.

4. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

I'v used kombustor.....however Iv never seena program give a report on the number of detected artifacts...

That is really the only stadout feature that seperates it....(if it works the way it say's)

Or do kombustor have that and i'v never seen it?

5. GoodBytes

Is looking at your screen to detect artifact THAT hard?

6. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

lol....

no. But its the one thing I hate doing when i OC my GPU.

If i can set my GPU temp alarm up, and have a artifact capture "thingy" then i can OC it, begin stress test, go make dinner, watch TV.....spend time with the fiance. Rather than watchin a screen for artifacts.

Listen for alarm....and either chk after an hour or randomly take a peak to see if its stable.......

Personally for me that would be ideal.

And in this modern day age of everything being handed to everyone in a cerial box......Iw ant my OC'ing to be easy and hassle free :p

Can I live without it....yes......do i really want to not have to watch the screen......hell yea i dont.

But thats just me ;p

7. GoodBytes

You should see artifact right away.
    Either on Windows (as since Vista, with Aero, everything is rendered by the GPU and not mainly the CPU), or when you start your test. Rarely it shows after (based on my experience).

8. andyb123

andyb123 What's a Dremel?

kombustor is just furmark with a skin on it aswell