1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Obsessive Compulsive Time Trial Disorder

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 12 Oct 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

I haven't played racing games seriously for a while. But for a long while it was my primary genre, from Stunt Car Racer (there *is* a game that needs a reboot) to Richard Burns Rally I played 'dead is dead'. That meant that a mistake I made during the race, may cause me to only score a point or two but what sweet points. It could have been worse, i.e. a non finish. The victories come so much sweeter when you know that you didn't just restart the game 10 times until things went your way. For me anyway it's about beating somone fairly and sqaurely, knowing that getting it wrong means I end up in the wall and my race is likely ended. *That's* where the exitement is for me.
    [Feels nostalgic and checks wallet for steering wheel money, not yet :( ]

3. Bokonist

Bokonist What's a Dremel?

That's not to say I don't understand your obsession with perfection Harry, but that is for qualifying in my eyes. After that a race should be about racing.

4. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Haha, i know exactly what you mean. I used to do it more with Monaco, just tapping the wall would ruin my morning or afternoon, and it would usually be the same wall.

Sam

5. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I remember having this obsession with Geoff Crammond's Grand Prix 2, way back in the nineties. I'd often have some friends round - beer, pizza and lap times! ;)

Shirty likes this.
  6. Lethal

Lethal What's a Dremel?

I have been doing that for years. It helps now that we have rewind options in games like Forza.

7. will_123

will_123 Small childs brain in a big body

Used to do it all the time with forza on the xbox!

8. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

Grid had that flashback feature though didnt it so you could just rewind if you missed the apex or totalled the car in the tyre wall and still make a decent lap outta it.

9. ZeDestructor

ZeDestructor Minimodder

Racing games is pretty much the exception. Its the one genre I INSIST on try and trying again till I win. So much fun with a G25...

All other genres though? Meh, can't bothered for perfect runs.

10. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Playing Forza 3 with a house mate, and it has a rewind button! Used it alot...

11. modfx

modfx Loft Gremlin

So I'm not the only one :D

Anyone else use this style of play on the Hitman series too?

12. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I do it on things like GRiD when I occasionally play that. I did it a lot on Burnout Paradise.

Things like the Driver series (Which I maintain is a better driving sim than any other you care to mention - For one reason, being drunk makes driving harder, when with GT5, I found it roughly the same, and placed either better or the same as sober..) I don't restart for stuff like that. I know if I restart, I'll just hit an unseen truck anyway.

I daren't think how many hours I've spent playing Hitman Sniper Challenge seeking the best possible moment to kill each target without alerting the others, while getting the maximum bonus for the kill..

13. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

The thing is with racing games, is that they promote it! Mario Kart only gives you the best ratings for your Grand Prix if you crash too much and spend too little time in first place.
    Trackmania? No chance of getting a gold medal if you don't restart.
    Definitely guilty of it.

14. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm glad i'm not the only one, but once in a race i'll generally stick it out till the bitter end, then reset if i don't like the result. I was doing a co-op championship once and span out on the first lap (of 25) and dropped back to last place. managed to battle back through to third going down the back straight towards the last corner, got great traction coming out the corner, hit the kers and pulled up along side him taking second place, but being given a difference of 0.000. that was a great race!

15. jammy_fred

jammy_fred Minimodder

I'm more in to arcade than sim racing games (i.e. Ridge Racer 7, Burnout Paradise & NFS: Hot Pursuit) but I am a bit like this for time trials. I'll sit for hours and hours trying to get the absolute perfect run. One tiny bump or mistiming of a maneuver can mean I have to try again. Although to be fair I think this is pretty much necessary, when I am trying to beat my frineds times on a leaderboard or get higher up the worldwide leaderboards you quickly get to a point where only a near perfect run will improve your time/position.

There is, however, also a lot of fun to be had in having to perform and only having 1 go at it. But I get enough of that in multiplayer/ranked races.

p.s. a fiver says I hold a world record on the new NFS game at some point after it comes out :D

Last edited: 12 Oct 2012
  16. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

I do exactly the same in F1 games, I sit behind my Logitech DFP and at the end of a racing session I feel like I've had a physical workout. But there's nothing like that feeling of nailing every corner and getting that personal best laptime

17. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

Maybe racing games should have an iron man mode. No quicksaves.

18. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

It's so bad for me in F1 games, especially qualifying, if I go wide and lose 2 tenths of a second on one corner (it's got to the stage where I can tell exactly how much time I've lost), I'm already hitting the restart session button.
    But the ecstasy of pulling off a perfect lap, in any sim or hardcore racing game, is amazing.

19. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

You'd love Trackkmania with that sort of attitude!

20. Bakes

Bakes What's a Dremel?

Except in F1 05 where you could squeeze about 10 seconds off your laptime by wallriding like a boss.

Tags: Add Tags