1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Minecraft system requirements

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by phinix, 22 Oct 2014.

1. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

I just bought Minecraft for my daughter and looks like her PC is a little bit slow for this game.

What would be the minimum requirements to play it smoothly, single and multi player having server running on it?

I know min requirements from their website, but wanted to check what do you guys play it on, what could be decent and cheap solution.

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

bit biased, I have an i5 + GTX770 and it run flawlessly with shaders. I could give it a try with only the Intel IGP if you want.

MC likes fast single core CPU, so I guess an i3 would be enough or even the new pentium anniversary with a cheap GPU.

3. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

Cool, can you please try IGP?

I'm planning not to get any discrete gpu, only integrated, also Pentium Dual Core would be max.

4. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

You might struggle with an IGP unless it's a relatively new generation or one of the higher-end AMD parts. You can run it on lower spec machines, but you have to turn the graphics settings all the way down.

I'd seriously recommend against running a multiplayer server on a low-end machine which is also running the client. Minecraft is a memory hog, and running the server on the same machine as the client will cause some serious problems - for 2 players the minimum RAM requirement for the server alone is 2GB and 3GB is recommended. The game itself will want anywhere between 2GB and 4GB (if you're using mods & texture packs then it can go even higher).

Running your own server is a tricky proposition. Unless it's set up correctly you're opening yourself up to the possibility of griefing, cheating and even possibly DDoS attacks. I'd recommend Minecraft Realms for children; it's a monthly subscription, but it's a managed environment and is far safer.

Don't want to scare you off here but running a server isn't an easy thing to do, even if it's only going to be a handful of trusted people using it. If you absolutely have to have the server running on the same machine as the client then make sure you allocate no more than 1-2GB of RAM, limit the number of players to 4, and enable the whitelist on the server.

5. saspro

saspro IT monkey

I've got it on my i3 Media Centre with 4GB RAM & using the built in graphics and it runs OK

6. phinix

phinix RIP Waynio...

There would be max 3 players on it, don't know how heavy this could be for a low end pc.
    I'm looking at AMD A6 6400K - what do you think about it? Then like you said BLC, 4GB of RAM.
    This site here says I can run Minecraft fine on high details on that apu on 1080p res.

Last edited: 23 Oct 2014