Planning Pico ITX Server Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by enhearten, 21 Sep 2011.

1. enhearten

enhearten What's a Dremel?

O.K so i am wanting to have a online 24/7 repository of music on in my house. Reason is i have a Sonos music system, along with various media extenders and enjoy being able to play all of my music if i want, now i thought about a nas and it would probably be fine for my need but nowhere as fun or interesting. So recently i acquired a Pico ITX system, with the plans of building a WHSv1 on a 7 watt system with a 1tb 2.5 hdd, i should be seeing 12 watts total use. This is the board

http://us.kontron.com/images/pr_trades/pr/3408/kontron-pitx-sp-sbc.jpg

so help and ideas bringing this all together would be great.

First question is a case for it i was thinking a mac mini case would be great and today i finally found a empty shell that i can buy that would fit the board , hdd and if i choose optical drive

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Apple-Mini-Mac-PC-Computer-Intel-Desktops-Case-Only-/320749372428?pt=Apple_Desktops&hash=item4aae27040c

What do you all think????

2. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

Hi enhearten

That is a excellent idea.
    Have you got the Kontron board already? Their stuff is good, but it tends to be expensive.

3. enhearten

enhearten What's a Dremel?

Yup sure do got it second hand for 140 au so not to expensive I think it's well worth it Im just stuck for ideas as to how I want to house it, been so small I want to do something different

4. dark_avenger

dark_avenger Minimodder

Always wanted one of those pico boards.

There was a Artigo kit that allowed u to mount a pico board in a 5.25'' bay.

Server in a PC?

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I would try to fit it in a passive hard drive cooler. The body could probably be used as a heat sink too.
    -Other option would be one of those drive enclosures that looks like a G5.