1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watercooling Watercooling stuff

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bloody_Pete, 20 Oct 2010.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Hi guys & girls

I recently purchased a D5 pump from Unicorn which I plan to mount in my 5.25" bays so it sits onto of my DVD drive. What anti-vibration solution would work best for this?

On a side note, I also got a EK full cover block for my 5870 2nd hand (see the theme developing here) and I got some 1.5mm thermal pads for it. Looking at them they look thicker than the ones that were left on the block. Will they be ok? Or should I try to make them thinner before use?

This is my first go at building a full loop, my previous one (about 8 years ago, I feel old :( ) was a Thermaltake Bigwater SE, so it's a big jump up, but I'm really confident as I researched it extensively. :thumb:

Thanks

Pete

PS. Who thinks I should do a project log for this? The 2nd Hand Beast perhaps? :p

2. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

I've mounted a DDC pump with some seriously strong tape. It's pretty absorbant, can't hear my pump now. I believe I got it from Aquatuning.

3. mike gunnz

mike gunnz What's a Dremel?

Any piece of thin foam will do the trick. It doesn't have to be an expensive solution bought from an etailer. The D5 pump is extremely quiet at settings 1 - 3 anyway, its deffo my fave pump.

4. SlowMotionSuicide

SlowMotionSuicide Come Hell or High Water

Good choice on the pump;)

Get some foam pad or something like that, it shouldn't need very much to dampen the vibrations, just keep it off of touching the case. I cut small pieces from the foam pads that accompanied my swiftech pump, and i get practically no vibrations at all.

+1 for the build log.

5. rob the bank

rob the bank What's a Dremel?

I used some sticky velcro tape from Tesco, it worked a treat on a similar pump, and still allows for removal if you need to.

6. Rofl_Waffle

Rofl_Waffle What's a Dremel?

I was using a piece of foam, it was great but some vibrations went through the screws. Now it is just sitting on my most bottom bay with no screws. Also replaced the foam with a lot of bubble wrap (the big bubble). I have to say, no vibrations what so ever.

7. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Cool, I'll do that :) What about the thermal pads? And I have this res, I'm just wondering whats the best way to attach it to my case?

8. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

There's various thickness's of thermal tape available http://specialtech.co.uk/spshop/customer/home.php?cat=1632

I mount my res's on the backplate next to the motherboard, there's usually a few holes, some threaded that are in the right place on many cases.

I made 'L' shaped mounts for my 655's from thinnish aluminium strips (and drilled a hole to get a small screwdriver in to the potentiometer) and then put some of that foam that used to come with hard disks on the base of the mount. The 'springiness' of the mounts isolates the tiny amount of vibration from the pump.

9. lysaer

lysaer Suck my unit! Kirk lazarus (2008)

i found that dynamat works really well, you can get it from any halfrauds

10. Blarte

Blarte Moderate Modder

I bought some Velcro patches and super glued them to foam then stuck the foam on my DVD drive, it worked just fine, just becareful of leaks when situating a pump/res etc over hardware I got the clicky click of slowly dying HDD due to blue gak oozing out of a (my own fault) over tightened fitting that had compromised the plexi on a res

11. PocketDemon

PocketDemon Modder

re the thermal pads - whilst it's kind of handy to have some just in case there's not a proper contact between every component & the block (occasionally memory &/or mosfets), i've always had much better results using AS...

...the gpu has always had decent contact -> better o/c &/or lower temps than with thermal pads.

By applying it to everything, you can quickly check by offering the block up & gently squeezing - anything that doesn't leave a residue will need cleaning & a bit of thermal pad sticking on naturally.