1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project: Discovery (Update: 18th Aug - Sanding and paint work)

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Evenge, 19 Jun 2011.

1. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Ok now here goes my first one…

Since my current setup (C2D, 2GB, 8800GT) is starting to be a bit outdated and showing some symptoms of instability, I would love to have a Sandy Bridge under the hood, so plans to buy new rig have started to circle in my mind. Also this means I need to get a new case because the old rig is going to serve me as a home server or something like that. I have already made the decision to get a mAtx setup since I’m fed up with big computer cases and because the only expansion cards that I will get are going to be GPU and a sound card.

I have always loved casemodding and nicely executed case mod projects, but I have never done something like that myself before. Also, since I couldn’t find cases that I would have wanted to use as a project base, I decided to build the case from scratch. Besides, making things by yourself is a lot more fun than buying them readymade from the shop! ;)

The name Discovery has two meanings: first, it’s my first modding experience so this whole project is going to be a little discovery journey to case modding. Second, I love music and the best band in the world is Daft Punk (this is a fact that cannot be subverted :p) and the name of their second album felt fitting for my project. Also the color scheme of black/red (which I have planed to use in this case) has gotten some inspiration from their Technologic music video (don’t worry, there won’t be any red pyramids in this project :hehe: ... probably :worried: )

And I have to apologize for pictures, I don’t own a camera (YET!) and my sister who has one comes home today or tomorrow, so the only way to get photos for now is my phone camera. I try to remedy the quality of the photos ASAP.

[​IMG]

So here is the concept. One reason why I want to make a case from scratch is the ventilation setup. My plan is to use only two 140mm fans in front. Back of the case will be made out of some kind of mesh. So basically two fans push cold air through the case. And if possible, CPU won’t have a fan at all. My original plan was to make the case out of polycarbonate. But because the price of polycarbonate is quite high, I decided to use aluminium instead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    For your information, these fans are just 120mm

Here are some planning photos. I’ve started working already but I don’t have pictures to show just yet. I will post some later today or early on next week.

Until then, cya!

Last edited: 18 Aug 2011
  2. Karrek

Karrek Minimodder

optical drive? - maybe under or over the fans on the front?

3. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Sorry, forgot to mention this. I use optical media probably once in a month, so I rather by external drive. If I feel that I want to add internal drive, it will be a laptop type slim drive over the fans.

4. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Nice :dremel:.

5. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

i've removed my optical drive a half year ago, haven't missed it yet ;)

6. kelmannen

kelmannen What's a Dremel?

forgot to say, nice project :D

7. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

@Waynio and kelmannen: Thanks! :)

Some how when I started planing this case in my head I just simply forgot the optical drive, probably because I don't have much use for it.

I was working overtime today at work so no modding done for the case. Instead I can now post pictures for what I accomplished yesterday. Photos need resizing so I'll be back with them in a moment.

8. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

The First UPDATE! :rock:

I need a back-plate:

Meet the victim, an old generic ATX case

[​IMG]

Getting rid of pop rivets...

[​IMG]

Salvaged back-plate, but it's bit too big...

[​IMG]

...But then again there's nothing a dremel can't fix :dremel:

[​IMG]

After that I started to drill holes for screw joints:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I managed to get the frame all together, but I didn't take picture of it and the joints need some more work too, so I leave that later. Anyway, it felt good to see the frame assembled and I got the warm feeling that this thing could actually be a computer case someday :hehe:

Until next time, Cya!

9. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Second update

I just noticed I have forgot to upload some pictures, so I now show to you the current state of this project:

The frame is now put together and here's some work in progress photos

[​IMG]

Here's picture of the joint. I will probably leave the short piece out because the top and bottom plates plus front and back plates will be holding the case together. This should make placing components easier and simplify the structure a little.

[​IMG]

Here's the current state of the frame. I took some size comparison photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yesterday I finally found a shop that sales aluminum plates and offers cutting service. Reason why I didn't make cuts myself is I don't own any tools that would have allowed me to make clean and direct cuts (and I don't trust my dremel cutting skills enough yet :hehe:)

[​IMG]

The midsummer holidays are on the way so I should be able to do some work with this :dremel:

And please leave some comments! I would really love to know what do you think of this, especially because it's my first time modding and posting project log. :worried:

Until next time, Cya!

10. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

MB-Tray

Got motherboard tray ready today:

IO-plate were bit long, so I cut a piece off

[​IMG]

IO-plate is attached to aluminum mb-tray with countersunk screws. Screws that I had where too long so I shortened them with dremel. Those pliers where handy since I burned my fingers after shortening screws and trying to move them :D

[​IMG]

And the finished product. I couldn't mount the motherboard standoffs since I didn't have the right thread tap. I ordered it yesterday and I should have it next week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Until next time, Bye! :dremel:

Waynio likes this.
  11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

This is coming along great & respect for having a go at your own motherboard tray on your first go :), I used ones from other cases on my first 2 :D.

12. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Thanks! I was thinking of making the DIY io-plate also, but wasn't sure about the measurements and so on, so I ended up stealing this plate from my old computer. I also thought of getting the mb tray from the old case but there were not threads for mATX mobos :confused:.

Last night as I was doing some research about what PSU to get, I stumbled upon to this new Silverstone TJ08-E case which has some similarities considering the airflow. Oh well, you can't win the joy of making the case by your self :p

13. jamsand

jamsand Minimodder

I'm seeing a reversal of mods these days everything seems to be gettin smaller lol. Looking forward to how this turns out good luck on your first project so far so good:)

14. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Mobo tray completed

Here's what I accomplished today:

Motherboard tray needed some support because I don't want it to be attached to the side panel

[​IMG]

And here is the tray attached. Upper corner of the tray is attached with a screw that goes through whole frame. This because the nut of the screw that holded the frame itself together would have prevented me of placing the mobo tray high enough. I'm happy with the end result and the frame feels very sturdy now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not much, but it took long time from me just to think screw placements.

Here it's standing the way it will be in the case.

[​IMG]

And for thinking tomorrow in advance, I wanted to see how the frame looks with top, back and bottom plates (and yes, the whole thing is kept in one piece with masking tape :hehe:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You can't believe how relieving it was to see the case in this state. When I started building this I wasn't sure if i ever get this completed. However this view brought me a lot of confidence and if it would not have been so late those plates would be attached with screws by now :dremel:

Nevertheless, tomorrow is a new day and hopefully nothing surprising won't come up and I can continue working.

Until next time, Cya!

15. Marcos_Viegas

Marcos_Viegas Minimodder

Great job man! :thumb:

16. randomhero

randomhero Minimodder

Looking great man!

17. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Thanks!

Today was a good day in terms of modding, so here's update:

The frame where mb-tray is attached is blocking some of the motherboards back connectors, so it's dremel time! :dremel:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here in it's place. Part isn't ready, since I have to make some room for the PSU as well, but I get to that in next update...

[​IMG]

After the IO clearance was done, I started drilling holes to bottom and back plates in order to get them attached to the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here bottom plate is attached with screws and nuts. Back plate however is attached different way:

That's right, with proper threads!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Prepared pack-plate

[​IMG]

And both bottom and back plates attached.

[​IMG]

I managed to mount the mb standoffs and do some filing work to the frames today also, but I'm simply to tired so I post some more pics when I wake up in the morning.

Until then, Cya!

18. MrBean

MrBean Minimodder

Nice work there, Evenge :) I always enjoy when guys take aluminium and do a scratch-build case, using hand-tools for once.

Will keep my eye on this one, and good luck with the rest of your built!

19. xunger

xunger What's a Dremel?

What a good start!
    I love small custom cases, with inverted tray this one looks like little brother of Lian Li A05:)

20. Evenge

Evenge Minimodder

Kiitoksia MrBean! Your mods have inspired me a lot, so look carefully and you might find something that has been "stolen" ;)

Thanks!

I fell in love with lian li V-series cases (those which looked like Apple G5 cases a bit). Hopefully I can get my hands on one someday.

Anyway, comparing my work to lian li cases is truly an honor!

I decided not to give the update just yet, since I'm going to continue working so I'll show everything I got later today.