1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Nvidia outs Pascal-based GTX 1070, GTX 1080

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 9 May 2016.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. DrTiCool

DrTiCool Minimodder

If Polaris can compete at least with that 1070 and for lower price, I'm fine with that

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Promising the 1080 will beat the TitanX isn't much of a commitment, given the stock performance of the 980 Ti.

Now's your chance AMD - if nvidia start offering weak tea "upgrades" a la Intel, I hope you give them a bloody nose.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Oh, it's faster than the 980 Ti, too: the 980 Ti can manage just shy of 6 teraflops of floating-point compute to the 1080's just shy of 10. Nvidia reckons that a single 1080 will match SLI'd 980's without the need to mess around with SLI - but if you *want* to, the 1080 also supports SLI.

Last edited: 9 May 2016
  5. rollo

rollo Modder

Most people are done with SLI and CFX systems. Polaris needs to launch in the same window for me to be even intrested.

Once the custom cooled cards launch around July August time I'll buy one of the two. AMD needs to have its gpus out by then for most enthusiasts.

If it's really as fast as 2 980s in SLI then that's about 50% faster the 980ti is anyway.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Anyone think NVidia are price gouging a little what with the “Founder's Edition” AKA "Reference" design costing $100 more than the MSRP?

7. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

There has been some confusion over this it seems. Nvidia said that it would match SLI 980s in VR. There was a chart, but in other stuff it wasn't as fast as SLI 980s.

It wasn't far off though to be fair and yeah, this is the perfect reason *not* to go SLI. Some people got confused and thought Nvidia said it would be as fast as two Titan X :D

But yeah, they haven't been exactly clear let's put it that way. Either way though as you say, on paper at least they are very fast cards indeed. Looking forward to the reviews here :thumb:

Welcome to the Intel "We are in the lead so we can charge for overclocking" K edition.

They'll be bottling air next.

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I could understand the price hike if the Founder's Edition was better in some fashion but, if I've understood correctly, the only thing the Founder's Edition has going for it is that it comes out sooner than AIB cards and with a snazzy customer cooler that's of questionable value.

9. Vault-Tec

Nah. Apparently the Founder's Edition are binned too fella, so they should do 2.1ghz. One thing is for sure, the reviewers will all be getting founder's edition cards :D

10. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Don't know why people are mentioning Polaris before deciding, those are low-mid range cards at mainstream price points, they're not AMD's response to the 1070/1080.

That will come with Vega in 2017.

11. rollo

rollo Modder

By which point AMD will be 8 months ( at least probably 12 if waiting for Vega) too late to the party for many. AMD either launches a competitive card or ceases to be a competitor and what's more Nvidia knows it.

No one looking at buying a 1070 and 1080 card is going to wait for AMD to eventually launch a competitor if 2017 Vega is the goal. The 1080ti will be out by then which will surely be gp100 in consumer gpu spec.

Polaris sone have said is AMDs low power option for low and mid range I hope they are wrong and we get a Polaris card that launches in the next month and can compete with these 2 cards.

Price wars are good for us, a 12 month later Vega will be irelivent.

12. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

But they're after different markets, £200 or less, giving people 970/980 performance for that sort of price will be a huge earner for them.

13. Vault-Tec

TBH and I would hate to sound like a knob here but if the 1070 is under £400 and Polaris came along three months later for around the same price or less and performed a little better I'd buy that too.

I don't need a 1070. I absolutely don't. However, I will likely buy one any way because I think at £400 or less (and given I don't smoke, don't drink or have any expensive vices) it's worth it just for the fun :)

After buying a total of three Titan Black I would never tread that path again.Personally speaking I think that one 1080 will still not be enough to max out 4k and run it properly, but that is what the TI will be for and that simply doesn't apply to me any more.

We could also end up where we are at now with CPUs. So I may as well at least enjoy the fun whilst I can before Nvidia go crashing into a brick wall.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Not saying you're wrong, but you're wrong. ;)
    Well at least that's what the guys over at Gamers Nexus are claiming in this article.

If you're bored they even done a video on how they've interpreted things.

15. Vault-Tec

I was going by the info page on Overclockers which has now been removed. They said that Founders cards were binned. That's probably why they have removed the page now.

Let's face it. Founders edition = early adopter elevated price. There probably won't be any regular ones and the show offs who can't wait will all be caught out, over paying for the card.

Nvidia will bend every rule and use every single last trick in the book to sell their mid range cards for Titan money. It was even rumoured that non founders editions would be locked.

To prove my point look at this URL

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/news/nvidia-announce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-pre-order-97.html

Note the - /news/nvidia-announce-gtx-1080-and-gtx-1070-pre-order-97.html

part. Then click on it... So yeah, OCUK were wrong.

16. rollo

rollo Modder

Till we know uk pricing a lot of this is mute point.

My guess would be £530-£550 for founders 1080 and £350 for 1070

17. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

18. Vault-Tec

Fork me, $700 for a mid range piece of silicon. KerCHING !

19. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

If they called it the "Early Adopter Elevated Price Edition" I bet they'd still sell a load of them :)

Regarding Polaris, I think if the nudge they bottom of 1070 performance in some scenarios for substantially less money and kick NVidia's low midrange efforts at similar price point into touch they could be on to a winner. Everyone who buys GPUs should be hoping they bring something competitive to the table.

20. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

Near 980Ti performance for £200, Not going to happen.

AMD simply want to scoop up people who want a GPU good enough for VR, and that means 970/980 performance for £200~.

They're not after the people with the means to pay £300-500, that will come with Vega in 2017.