1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News OpenPandora relaunch opens pre-orders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by brumgrunt, 2 Feb 2012.

1. brumgrunt

brumgrunt What's a Dremel?

2. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

450 Euros....

3. jcb121

jcb121 What's a Dremel?

Me want,

Is there any improvements in this Pandora over the older Pandora?

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

We'll see this article...and then we'll never see it again until, of course, it's pulled from the market in a couple of years.

What an epic waste of money.

5. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

'Texas Instruments'

They still exist? wow

6. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Hmm... what about those of us that pre-ordered the first time, but still haven't got one?

7. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Texas instrument makes the OMAP CPU used in many smartphones. They also makes great high-end audio components under their Burr Brown brand. Texas is a great component maker ... they don't only manfacture calculators :wallbash: ... just take a look at their website before posting such useless comment.

* Sorry, but this kind of comment tend to drive me crazy *
    * The first step to wisdom is to admit that we do not know *

8. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

When you see a RaspberryPi for $35 (http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/pcs/2012/01/26/raspberry-pi-modders-dream-machine/1) you have to wonder what's causing this to cost £370!

Sure, screen, battery, case - but really? ZTE can put together a fully fledged phone with similar specs for £100 and an Xbox controller costs what? £18?

Does volume and scale really *make* £250's worth of difference?

I can't wait to see the modders make something better than this using the RaspberryPi for £100-£200.

9. eVoPhantom

eVoPhantom What's a Dremel?

What kind of emulators does it support? The only real experience with emulators I have is WINUAE and SCUMMVM.

It does seem very pricey though.

10. GuilleAcoustic

I was interested in it ... but a few years ago ! With Rpi around the corner and smartphone with full keybord I really do not see any interest in this Pandora anymore, especially considering the price. Too bad, because I really was a FAN.

11. crudbreeder

crudbreeder What's a Dremel?

Yes, volume and scale can really make £250's worth of difference.
    The BIG manufacturers literally pay peanuts for their components compared to what you pay buying from retailers or smaller wholesale dealers. Simply because they buy thousands of them at a time, and might by a thousand other components in the same volumes from the same supplyer.

12. GuilleAcoustic

Agreed :) ! I saw that with Burr Brown component that can trully cost an arm when bought in small quantity.

13. Fizzban

I don't follow smart phones and such. It has been ages since I'd heard of them so I posted. So sorry for posting such a 'useless comment'. Shame you had to spoil what was otherwise an informative post with that remark.

14. GuilleAcoustic

Sorry matey, no offence ... All apologies, trully.

I'm quite the pationate and sometimes words and finger go faster than my thought :wallbash: :worried:. They are still alive and make nice piece of hardware :blush:.

Fizzban likes this.
  15. Fizzban

An apology was the last thing I expected. A nice surprise! Thank you mate. :)

Perhaps I was being overly touchy. Not slept well in days. Thanks for being a decent sort. Do love this community!

+rep

Last edited: 3 Feb 2012
  16. fluxtatic

fluxtatic What's a Dremel?

Guille, Fizzban, I hate to have to be the one to break this to you, but this here is the internets. Now, either get into a ridiculous, juvenile flamewar (bonus points for bad spelling, bad grammar, and Nazi references) or GTFO. Gotdamn hippies, working out your differences and coming to an understanding :mad:

:D

I got a chubby when I saw this. Then I saw the pricetag. Now it's like my poor l'il guy is trying to crawl back home. :( Like Stash said, sure, until RPi came along. I could likely scavenge parts and hack something close enough together for $100. And have an assload more fun doing it, too...maybe not the gaming parts (I'm no Ben Heck, after all), but the KB at least, and I have no desire for a portable gaming machine anyway. (No use for one, really, now that I have a car - would have been kind of kickass when I used to ride the bus 2-3 hours a day, though.)

Xtrafresh likes this.
  17. rayson

rayson Damn sure it was legal

you're such a legend

18. GuilleAcoustic

I was driven by passion and kind of over reacted. That's my post that is useless and that's why I presented all my sincere apologies.

Tags: Add Tags