1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Sony would be surprised by publisher DRM for PS4 games

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Meanmotion, 17 Jun 2013.

1. Meanmotion

Meanmotion bleh Moderator

2. Artanix

Artanix Minimodder

I don't understand how this has suddenly become a problem. Just sounds like complete greed, trying to maintain highest profit levels for the lowest cost.

My main concern is if some of the bigger producers (i.e. EA) eventually stop developing for the PS4 based off this. They're never going to announce anything anytime soon, but I bet they would if they could.

You could argue that costs to make games are higher, and sales are down, but seriously, have you seen some of the crap that gets released nowadays? (e.g. Sim City)

3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

It's because, like the RIAA do with piracy, developers equate a second hand buy/a rental to a lost new sale - Despite that not really being the case.

It does boil down to greed, but I guess their money castles aren't complete enough.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Good, we're not going to miss EA - maybe if they made a game worth buying and actually attempted to stop piracy themselves then they wouldn't have this piracy problem. MS is just trying to suck up to the devs and get all the exclusives.

I said it before and I'll say it again - MS is acting way too proud of their anti-piracy solution, and game companies are going to rely on it rather than make their own DRM. SOMEBODY is going to find a loophole and when that happens, nearly every game will be up for grabs. If companies seriously gave a damn about piracy, they'd take care of it themselves in a way that doesn't involve paid DLC.

As for games being sold off as 2nd hand, that would happen a lot less often if devs actually made a game worth keeping. Most games in the past 5 years or so have horrible replay value and can be beaten in less than 12 hours.

5. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

wont be surprised if MS changes their stance on used games, but will be definitely surprised if they didn't (with all the negative PR this has brought the Xbox One, including not much as 95% of preorders on Amazon going to the PS4)

6. toolio20

toolio20 What's a Dremel?

My favorite:

"However, in a series of tweets yesterday, veteran developer Cliff Bleszinski accused Sony of 'playing on the internet outrage for free PR' in relation to its stance on used games, claiming that current expectations for triple-A titles are not financially sustainable with used and rental games as a possibility."

Are they trying to suggest Cliff "Gears of War bougt-and-paid-for-MS-stoolie" Blahzinski would do anything but leap to the defense of his financial handlers regardless of what this means for the industry, or are they merely pointing that out for funsies?

Also: current "expectations." Heh. It doesn't mean they're losing money at all, just that they feel they should be making MOAR. Awesome.

7. Blackshark

Blackshark What's a Dremel?

So Dyz, but I dont think they will! They have not changed their mind on Windows 8 start button, even though it has effected business sales. Like with that, they might bring in something their marketing people can say is a fix, but is nothing of the sort (like the Windows Blue start button support).

They seem to have decided they know better than customers what we want in our living room (ie. we want a HTPC first, games console second), from a games console (something that is not portable, requires regular connection, costs a fortune to buy, own, run, buy games for....) and treats every user like a crimial.

I have never bought a game console, but having come in to my 30s with a young family, not much time or money for the SLI PCs of my past, I think a Sony PS4 will fit nicely in to the gap. MS can go swivel.

8. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

They will kill this market (next gen console) before even is out !

9. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

Agreed, (no pun intended) I don't understand why game developers think they should be treated as some special case when it comes to their products, as Sony so rightly said, even if they said it as PR against MS, you buy it, you own it, and it's your to do what you want with, so game devs make nothing from used game sales, well neither do manufacturers of most other products you can buy, even the film and music industries have not stooped so low as to try and restrict used sales of music CD's and film DVD's, hell, the charity shops would be nearly empty if that happened :waah:

10. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

In the late 90's, Sony would also have been surprised if Microsoft entered the video game console market and in partnership with Bungie, a then small, relatively unknown games developer, created a platform and franchise which seriously threatened and massively reduced their majority share of the console market. And yet look what happened at Christmas in 2001 and look where we are now...

"We don't think they'll do that"
    is Sony speak for "we have to tell them that we don't think it will happen, so that if it does happen, we can cover our asses by pleading ignorance and acting surprised".

Last edited: 18 Jun 2013
  11. sub routine

sub routine Archie Gemel

Make games worth buying !

12. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

LMFAO!

How many days since their "UNBELIEVABLE" E3 show that has now turned into a PR stunt!

"It's not Sony implementing DRM! It's the BIG BAD DEVELPOPERS!"

Come on Fony Fanboys, try and defend this!

13. DbD

DbD Minimodder

This is Sony we are talking about here - the company famous for rootkits on CD's in a failed attempt to stop you copying your music to your pc. They might have a better PR department but lurking in the shadows are exec's are just as evil as those at MS.

Fundamentally trying to charge £50 for anything seems a bit foolish in the current market. The market for both mobile and PC game is quickly shifting to free-to-play but pay for premium items if you like it. That model seems to work just fine.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

It's the way DRM is being twisted from something originally intended to enforce copyright laws into something that is undermining one of the corner stones of the copyright law. The First-sale doctrine, the doctrine enables the distribution chain of copyrighted products.

There is nothing wrong with trying to prevent illegal copying of the creators original work but when this DRM is used to get around a important part of the copyright law?

A system wide DRM used to get around the first-sale doctrine is very different from a DRM used by publishers to enforce copyright laws.

15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

Wow, nice try ;)

It's either "DRM FREE" as Fony claimed or it isn't. Which is it then?

16. Niftyrat

Niftyrat Dremel overpriced like EA games

As Sony say it is yours to do what you want. Can I have Linux back for my ps3??

17. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Why you are trying to say Sony said its going to be "DRM FREE" is beyond me :confused:
    Sony has never said "DRM FREE" even though you seem to think they did.

Discussing the same topic of DRM in two separate threads seems a little counter productive, so i will just point you to the other thread.
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=260647
    And my reply to your spurious claims that Sony said it will be "DRM FREE"
    http://forums.bit-tech.net/showpost.php?p=3367614&postcount=73

18. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

That and Sony have already said its upto developers, different wording but enough to make people that think gaming is the only reality there is go completely silent and actually forget that fact and continue to attack Microsoft as its obviously more important than getting on with your life.
    FWIW I game on both Xbox and PC, I will also be getting the Xbox One on release purely because it has the games I want but, I am man enough to admit that Sony might just have the better console this time.
    The real proof will be in 1-2 years time when developers have got to grips with all the little bits and pieces at their disposal and we have had the consoles long enough to make an actual fact rather than argue like little girls over something that hasn't even been released yet.

19. Harlequin

Harlequin Modder

20. chrismarkham1982

chrismarkham1982 Multimodder

Tags: Add Tags