1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Intel's Perlmutter details 22nm Haswell-based Core family

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 12 Sep 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

10W ... oO ... ultra low power office computer incoming :D

3. digitaldunc

digitaldunc What's a Dremel?

As pleased as I've been with the past few generations of Intel gear I can't help but wish AMD had something to match in the performance stakes.

Sure, it's a while till 2013 but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

4. dyzophoria

dyzophoria Minimodder

this is what I like about competition (ARM), since ARM is really the grand daddy of low power processors, Im pretty sure it forced intel on focusing in the power draw their processors. yey progress :)

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Could be good for office pcs

6. GusMac

GusMac What's a Dremel?

so will we see a big jump in speed or just low power consumption? it doesnt really seem to mention the actual speed of the cpu just mentions better integrated graphics and low TDP which for me wont be worth hanging about for in terms of a desktop cpu, laptop on the other hand... does this mean no need for a separate gpu in a laptop now?

7. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Wonder if they used thermal paste or solder this time...

8. blacko

blacko What's a Dremel?

Haswell will be good for ITX!

9. pearl.of.wisdom

pearl.of.wisdom montonies

Funny how Mr.Halfacree does a perfectly decent precis job this time, when it's the beloved, infinite and wise i. Check out the silde-show at Anandtech though; boring as ditch water but what the hell. Intreasting thing missing from precis though; IPC. 10% over Ivy, according to the i-infinite wise. [excepting fmac3 I suppose] 10%! How utterly poor. It seems to me the i-god may regret not sacrificing a bit of profit next year and going for quad low end and hex-core midrange. If AMD doesn't screw up again with Steamroller, Intel could be in a world of hurt, with only Ivy-E/EP holding their incredibly dense low volt heads above water.

10. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Why thank you, you're too kind!

11. SexyHyde

SexyHyde Minimodder

Well i'm torn now. Was going to get a 3570k with liquid metal tim under the heatspeader. Now im just thinking of keeping my I7 920 for a bit longer then going haswell.

12. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

I agree with your thinking. Not worth upgrading your current CPU till you see the Haswell in action.

Teelzebub likes this.
  13. oliverr97

oliverr97 What's a Dremel?

Well this looks really interesting, this will be great for office and smaller builds :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  14. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

This, a prodigy style case and Hyperspin 2.0,Netflix and steam would be a killer combo for the living room.

Teelzebub likes this.
  15. Alecto

Alecto Minimodder

It's funny though, back when first 5V Pentiums came out almost 2 decades ago they were considered extremely hot (in terms of power consumption rather than performance) yet they were ~15W chips. Intel actually had to lower the operating voltage (to 3.3V) AND move to a smaller production process to raise the frequency ... but noadays small double digit wattages are considered suitable for portable use, sometimes even without forced cooling :D

16. DocJonz

DocJonz Another CPC refugee .....

I'm not really interested in puny mobile devices - what I want to know is "will there be high-end, 8+ core Haswells" :)

Teelzebub likes this.
  17. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

True, that reminds me of my first time opening a computer, there was no heatsink on the CPU back then :D.