1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD folders?

Discussion in 'bit-tech Folding Team' started by Tattysnuc, 16 Jan 2014.

1. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

Any of you guys folding on AMD kit? I've just switched to a 290 which I've put under water. A wee dabble with the overclock settings and I'm getting projected PPDs of 145k+!!!!!!

...and the cards only hitting 34C

I think my GTX 480's will be going on ebay and I'll be reinvesting in some more of these :)

2. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

Amazed you managed to get one, availability has been non-existent due to Scrypt Mining. Nice to hear what I could get once I stop mining myself :)

3. Petaflops

Petaflops Minimodder

I was folding on some HD7990's which were good value for money until they all sold out due to mining demand. I was getting over 220k per card due to the dual GPU's. However they ran hot and noisy and so I sold them to miners on Ebay for silly money! I was planning on replacing them with the GTX780TI which I think uses considerably less power and has less issues with heat. AMD GPU's suddenly became good folding cards with the introduction of Core 17 work units, and it seems to me that NVidia and AMD are now on equal terms with respect to their folding abilities. AMD maybe give a better bang per buck and Nvidia win in terms of power consumption and heat. That's just what I've concluded with my various playing around with different cards and reading up on different cards performance.

4. Tattysnuc

Tattysnuc Thinking about which mod to do 1st.

just a bit of a heads up - the R9 290 went up for sale and I've replaced with an NVidia GTX 690. I've just found the NVidia kit that bit more stable when folding. PPD has dropped a little, but I'm yet still to overclock and also to put the card under water.

I'm also keeping my eyes open for a second GTX 690 so I can finally go Quad SLI... :) When I do game it's at 2560x1600 so that's more than I'll ever need... :)