1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows THE bit-tech StarCraft 2 thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Horizon, 5 Jul 2010.

1. Horizon

Horizon Dremel Worthy

Last edited by a moderator: 6 Aug 2010
  2. uber_cookie

uber_cookie What's a Dremel?

I have it pre-ordered on GAME before the price went up; also I have access to beta, but didn't have time to participate :(

3. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Just preordered over the weekend. Can't wait to play.

4. TheJackal

TheJackal Getting Old

better be good been waiting a long time for this :)

5. bigkingfun

bigkingfun Tinkering addict

I saw these two on the official site and wondered what would happen if you where to call the numbers?
    Could be something like the time you could write to Lisa Simpson on a yahoo mail and she would respond.
    [​IMG]
    The 1-800 numbers are the expensive ones in USA right?
    [​IMG]

6. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Was just having a look around for prices for this. Those listed on Play.com are a joke. If you change the pricing to Euro instead of Sterling, there is a €10 difference on the standard release and €18 difference for the collectors ed. That is after the currency conversion of course!

Crazy.

With the silly pricing of this, I reckon I will let this slide until it's on sale anyway. Don't want to pay €120+ for what is essentially a single game.

7. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I'll be honest. When it was first announced, I couldn't wait. But now? I don't even have a preorder anymore. I'm not sure what it is, but Starcraft 2 just isn't grabbing me like I thought it would.

8. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

Me 2... Maybe I'll buy it when the price comes down, or at least, when proper reviews (from users at forums) come up.

9. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

Are you guys kidding? It's freakin' Starcraft 2!!

Besides, when's the last time you saw Blizzard release a crappy game?

10. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Not debating if it will be good are not (however I am not a massive fan of RTS games when it's almost required that you can macro the game and twiddle your fingers to get 100+ actions a minute), but the pricing has put me off and I'm not really seeing too many changes in the game over the original.

I will get it eventually, just not at it's current pricing.

11. Phalanx

They're not Blizzard anymore. They're Activision-Blizzard. I await with baited breath to see how Activision have shafted a company I used to hold dear.

Plus I never really liked the original Starcraft, although I did play it through to the end. I don't like the incessant micro-managing of every unit. In any other RTS, you select your unit, right-click the enemy and focus on the next thing.

In Starcraft, you select your unit, then micro-manage their entire route right up to the enemy, then attack. Then you spend the next 2.5 seconds doing the same to another group, only to then switch back and micromanage exactly who is shooting who in the previous group, because if you don't, you'll lose.

To me that's not strategy.

12. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Starcraft, C&C, Warcraft; They used tactics.

Supreme Commander and Total Annihilation; They used Strategy.

:)

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Fair comment.

Starcraft 2 doesn't really interest me. It looks like its a ten year old game and from what I can tell it plays like one as well.

WiC and SupCom (1 & 2) have changed the strategy genre for the better, so I can't go back to old skool gameplay.

Its hard enough playing CoH and DOW2 - despite loving both (in single and multiplayer respectively)

14. Draksis

Draksis What's a Dremel?

Was going to post how I couldn't wait for this game, but after reading the last few posts, u guys made me a bit irritated. Go back, read the posts! :sigh:

I mean, all who said that they would never pay that price (which I do realize is high for a game, don't get me wrong) say they anyway never liked starcraft/RTS game to begin with. now I know that all are allowed their own opinion, but I honestly see this as a form of trolling.

Let me put it this way: what if i jumped on the EVE thread and posted (basically) EVE online sucks, i hate the whole being in a spaceship the whole time, not that i play MMOs cause its expensive!

Let us drool over this, and when your next big games comes out, we won't bash it :D

/2cents :thumb:

15. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Down with trolling (boo, hiss, boo), but fair and considered comments, whether positive or negative are all part of debate.

If it makes you feel any better - I like SupCom2 - which comes in for a bashing every time I bring it up!

16. Phalanx

I certainly didn't intend to troll. In fact I was simply stating my opinion. Noone said this thread was positive only. It's a discussion forum, so let's discuss. I was simply stating why I didn't get on with Starcraft.

Like I said before, I was actually looking forward to Starcraft 2, as I was hoping they would advance the formula slightly to allow the micromanaging to be a thing that you didn't HAVE to do in order to be decent at the game.

The fact they haven't doesn't mean it's a bad game, it just means it's not a game I'm going to be buying now (I'll probably buy it in a sale for the storyline, as I did actually play both Starcraft and Brood War for the storyline).

If you were to come into an EVE thread saying "EVE Sucks!" then that IS trolling, but if you were to explain why you thought it sucked, perhaps a discussion might ensue, much like this thread, and in my opinion, that's not trolling, that's just people's preferences.

PS. I love RTS games by the way. I still play Total Annihilation to this day, because that is DEFINITELY a "Strategy" game. SupCom was OK, but TA still holds it for me alongside both Dawn of War games.

17. [ZiiP] NaloaC

Indeed, trolling was certainly not my intention with my own posts.

In fact with all the ads floating about and the frankyl awesome looking FMV TV spot ad that is being shown everywhere, it actually started to get me excited about this again. Sadly, the Blizzard store did not display a price for the game from what I could see. Once I checked this out, I was left with Game, Play, Gamestop, Amazon and so forth for prices and I found them sickening.

I appreciate that there may be more effort going into the campaign missions and that you have access to all the races for multiplayer right at the beginning, it does reek of Activision methods with regard to the releasing-in-parts approach. I am not a fan of this.

I played SC and BW back in the day and I truely enjoyed them (mmmm, hoardes of Wraiths taking on waves and waves of zerglings...... mucho dakka dakka). I hope that this does live up to the hype. If it indeed does so, then I will break and purchase it, but I will state that i would prefer to wait for a lowered price.

Also, on a side note(s), I have only paid for 1/3 of my EVE game time as I earn the other time from luring others in and getting free gametime as a reward :D. Also, I still hold firmly to the opinion that Total Annihilation is the best RTS of all time.

Grimloon likes this.
  18. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I've been in the Beta since it opened and the game is very well-made and feels polished and complete, like most Blizzard games; but I agree with pretty much everything NaloaC has said above.

The graphics in it are gorgeous (not realistic, but very pleasing to the eye) and retain a lot of the original's feel and charm despite moving into a fully-3D engine.
    Similarly, the gameplay is almost identical to the original aside from a couple of new features, different units etc and I don't think Blizzard can be blamed for that. Their die-hard SC1 fans will love SC2 if they don't get the same mentality as the CS:Source vs CS 1.6 crowd.
    However, it hasn't grabbed yet me the way that Starcraft 1 did.

I never got much into Starcraft multiplayer (or multiplayer RTSes in general because I'm crap at them) and I can't see myself playing SC2 in multiplayer either, because as others have said it becomes dominated by the people who are prepared to play it day-in, day-out until they think they're Korean professionals with 300 APM, etc.
    Maybe the matchmaking system will ease that concern for people, but competitive strategy gaming isn't really my thing anyway - I prefer to play Skirmishes against the computer or just play co-op against the computer with friends.

So, SC2 will need to sell itself to me with a strong singleplayer component if I'm to consider buying it.
    The fact that the singleplayer portion isn't offering the three race-campaign scheme of the original is disappointing when considering the price of the game; though they claim the singleplayer campaign will be as long as the full campaign of SC1 at least.

Starcraft was the only RTS that ever managed to make me care about a story and its characters & setting, so I've been looking forward to its release, but like others I doubt I'll be buying it until the price comes down.

19. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

The way I see it, one 30 mission long campaign is better than 3 10 mission long campaigns - it allows much more immersion into the story. At least that's the theory. It's a bit irritating that the triology will cost so much, but perhaps the 2nd and 3rd campaigns will cost less, like an expansion would.

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Hopefully! The between-mission segments with the old-school scenes inside the ship and the bar look promising and fun in that regard.

A lot of people are hoping the extra campaigns will be discounted in price but it's hard to be optimistic about it after the Activision-Blizzard merger. :(

Tags: