1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Steam Do you backup your installed Steam games?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Behemoth, 3 Mar 2017.

1. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

Odd question, but just wandering what you do.

Do you back them up once downloaded, making life easier if you have to re install your operationg system, or if you have to do a fresh install do you just download the games again (not always great if on a limited bandwidth)

Usually I just download them again as being on unlimited bandwidth it hasn't been too much of an issue. But looking at how much I'd have to download again if as am looking at doing a fresh OS install I've opted to do a backup and restore when I install Steam again.

2. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I used to until I got to over 1TB of installed games (not just steam but origin, uplay etc) and now I don't bother. Easy enough to just redownload in the case of something going wrong - even massive games only take a couple of hours to download on a decent connection nowadays :) I do keep mine on a separate drive (well 2) to my OS though so I shouldn't need to worry if I do a reinstall of my OS.

3. bdigital

bdigital Is re-building his PC again

I used to before getting Virgin fibre. I get 12mbs over steam so nothing really takes long anymore :)

4. Behemoth

I used to be able to keep mine on a separate drive but had to down size my system from full blown ATX tower case to mATX. Case I have only allows me to have installed a total of 3 3.5 inch HDD's :(

5. killingit

killingit What's a Dremel?

I used to always back up my games before. But, I now have a fiber internet connection and so, I do not need to do it anymore.

6. rollo

rollo Modder

I have a separate SSD just for Steam, main windows is on its own SSD with very few things installed that would take any time to download.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I used to copy the steamapps folder and copy it back after reinstalling Windows and Steam, but now Steam has it's own 500GB SSD. Not everything is on there, but Steam can kiss my ass before I shell out for 1TB.

8. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Long ago (i.e. many years ago) I used to back them up, but now I always redownload. I have Steam set to download while I play, so I just download a game I want to play and after a session or two, a few more are installed.

9. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Nope as for most of the games i play, there's little to no point...

If the backup is more than a month or two old there's invariably a gazillion updates to download... so downloading the entire game from scratch isn't much of an [extra] inconvenience.

10. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Crap internet connection so I have to backup.

Something like a 60gb download would take days, I go to my mums who has a 100meg connection then back up the game/s to an external drive and take it back home.

11. Concrete-Coffin

Concrete-Coffin Minimodder

ive got steam games split between a normal hdd and ssd just keep my windows drive on a separate ssd so if I need to reinstall everything's on others drives

12. Behemoth

Thats one valid reason for doing a backup given not everyone has a super fast internet connection.

Looking at what others have done I think I have a spare 2 TB drive so I could put that in and partition it so OS one partition and steam and games on the other.

13. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I don't bother backing them up. I have Windows on a separate drive (or at least a separate partition) so that if Windows goes tits-up then I can just reinstall Steam without having to re-download anything. In fact, I had to reinstall Windows last week, so it was quite handy not having to download 500GB of games all over again :D

14. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

I personally don't keep games installed if I'm not actively playing them - don't see the point. In that sense I generally only have 3-6 games installed at any given time.

15. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I dot around from game to game, and storage space is cheap, so I have no problem with having a decent number of games installed at once. I've got 51 installed just now :D

16. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

I've got them backed up from my RAID array, simply because a failure means losing all of them, and when you're on all 1TB per month download limit... it is a little worrying how fast I can chew through that. I mean... it resets on the 20th every month, and I'm already 200GB+ into it without downloading any huge games that aren't already installed. :D

17. Behemoth

Really you can get through 1tb in a month ? I didn't think that were possible.

18. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

Looks like I do the same as most people, Steam games on a different drive to OS, don't back up as downloading wouldn't take long. Even with my not very good fibre, I can download a game overnight when needed.

19. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

Oh yes, very easily. :)

20. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

For game with single player missions I back the game up for saved games, unlocked maps, equipment etc.