1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ROG Strix Z270I Gaming - USB question

Discussion in 'Asus UK' started by bawjaws, 18 Mar 2017.

1. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Hi ASus,

I've a quick question about the USB ports on the Strix Z270I Gaming ITX board. I see that the board has a USB type-C port on the rear I/O panel, plus three USB 3.0 type-A ports and four USB2.0 type-A. Am I correct in thinking that USB3.0 ports (both type-A and type-C) are 5GB/s, i.e. USB3.1 Gen 1 rather than USB3.1 Gen 2?

The only reason that I'm a bit confused is because your website refers to these four ports as USB3.0 but I've seen a couple of reviews (including this month's Custom PC magazine) refer to them as 2x USB3.1 Gen 1 plus one USB3.1 Gen 2 type-A and one USB3.1 Gen 2 type-C. Very confusing! I'd gratefully appreciate any light you may be able to shed on this - who knew USB terminology could be so confusing?

Cheers!

2. Will_ASUSUK

Will_ASUSUK What's a Dremel?

Hi Bawjaws. I would probably go by the specs on the website and not by the ones listed in a review. If they say they are USB3.0 they will be rather than USB 3.1.

If you continue to have issues, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Kind Regards

ASUS UK Support team
    Hotline: 01442-265548 9am - 5pm
    Email: http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx

3. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Thanks for the reply, Will. It's a bit of a shame that the Z270I has gone backwards in terms of USB provision compared to the Z170I Pro Gaming, but I appreciate that it does offer a couple of features that the Z170I lacks.

4. Will_ASUSUK

No problem. There is a USB 3.1 header on the board to connect to your front panel should you want faster speeds. There is an m.2 socket with a double decker heatsink, you can get NVME speeds through that for storage.

Kind Regards

Bill @ ROG UK

5. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Thanks, Bill. I've ended up going for a Z170i Pro Gaming as it's a better match for my requirements and budget, despite being a generation older.

6. Will_ASUSUK

Great board, had one myself :) Enjoy!