1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Oculus VR picks up Google Glass engineer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 19 May 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

With the amount of talent they have on-board now it would take a major screw up for the Oculus Rift not to be a success story.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

The talent, the basically infinite money going into it, and the very high interest in consumers basically ensures it will be a successful product. I don't see any stopping it at this point.

4. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Well I know the Cisco video conference team are working with one because when I sold my one on eBay in late march it was snapped up by Cisco Systems Technology VC department.

Got good feedback for it too :)

5. dstarr3

dstarr3 What's a Dremel?

I was nervous when Facebook bought this however long ago, but I guess it's Facebook's money that's paying all the talents' salaries now, so... good on them!

6. brave758

brave758 Minimodder

I'm thinking the England team.... over paid prima donna's who can't string any passes together.....

7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Well as stated before, Facebook made it very clear they are going to continue to pursue the gaming goal of the Rift. Besides, as long as technology for the Rift doesn't get taken away and as long as the price remains reasonable, what's really stopping people from using it as a gaming device anyway? Facebook has yet to show any signs of ruining it as a product. Remember, in the end, it's really just a fancy monitor you wear on your head with some motion tracking sensors.

I think kinect is another good example of this, except sort of a reverse scenario - MS wanted it strictly for Xbox gaming, but people managed to create their own drivers and use it for non-gaming purposes in relatively very little time. Considering the Rift has a much greater hype than Kinect, there is absolutely no stopping the community from hacking the Rift to do what they want - facebook has no power over what consumers will do to the Rift.