1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors First Car!

Discussion in 'General' started by fuus, 27 Dec 2012.

1. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

Okay guys, I'm looking in to getting insurance for my first car (after passing test):

Details:
    Number of years on license: 0
    Price range: Minimal
    Engine size: Any

Any recommendations for a cheap car to insure?

Thanks, Fuus

2. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

get a 1 litre engine

fuus likes this.
  3. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

An old (original) 1 litre mini.

Costs very little to insure/run & all the parts are cheap (should anything break). And it is a good car to learn "how a car works".

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

fuus likes this.
  4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Cheap, interesting, safe. Pick one tbh for new drivers. No way would I pick an old-style Mini as a daily-driver for a new road user though, talk about vulnerable when you make a mistake!

Personally I'd go for an oldish Volvo, smallest engine you can find. That way at least it's safe, and can be had for reasonable money. Insurance tends to be very high on cars which new drivers are expected to use - Micras etc, small-engined city cars, to drive down premiums you need to think outside the box a little.

fuus likes this.
  5. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

by oldish what kind of age should I be looking at Krikkit? And how low a quote do you think is reasonably obtainable? My mum got a quote on her (1.6?) Focus for learning at around £800 per annum including herself of the policy. However after that the price will definitely sky rocket!

6. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Totally agree, find something that very few people bought. Less number bought means less accidents in such a car.

If you were trying to insure a diesel Mondeo for instance you would be totally ruined as there common as sin and plenty are written off each day. Oddly a quote on a ST220 would be cheaper than the smoker.

Find an old merc, forget audi as that'll ruin you quicker than a saxo with fairy lights

fuus likes this.
  7. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

how old is old?! :D

8. Krikkit

I'm talking 15y + really, although that's a great price on a Focus. Get one of those instead tbh, assuming that was with you as the main driver etc. The handling, steering, ride quality etc are all amazing for its class.

9. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

That was for whilst learning (parent in car with me etc!)
    After that it is astronomically expensive

10. Krikkit

Ah, unlucky!

Try something like a Volvo 440 or 340, or an 850, 740 - they're not fast, but they're comfortable, reliable and cheap!

11. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

With all due respect to Krikkit, who is a minor automotive God, let's start with what's actually possible, hmm?

How much do you have to spend? On the car, and on the insurance?

fuus likes this.
  12. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

I would love the car to be under £3000 and insurance as minimal as possible! I'm not too bothered by comfort etc for the saving of a few £'s

13. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

My car insurance for a 1.1 peugeot 106 (old 1993) is nearly £300 a month at 21, just started driving perhaps you could phone a insurance company and ask them? adrian flux is a broker ask them :)

fuus likes this.
  14. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

£300 sounds like an awful lot to me, but perhaps I'm being too conservative on just how much this is going to cost?

15. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Old Volvos actually seem to be a good idea.

16. dancingbear84

dancingbear84 error 404

Try looking at diesels, a 106 1.5d is peanuts to buy and should be cheap to insure. Depending on your driving habits an aygo or a smart may be viable options for cheap insurance.

fuus likes this.
  17. Krikkit

106s, Saxos, Puntos etc are all high cost for insurance - lots of young people buy and crash them, especially the crappy-engined models. The way to something a bit less eyewatering is to pick up an unusual choice for young 'uns.

18. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I started off in a 1.8 Volvo 440, quicker and cheaper than everyone else in there small most french hatchbacks.

Plus it was a true 5 door, where 3 people actually fit in the back. It served as my Uni wagon, far better than any transit, lol!

19. fuus

fuus Misses Rep Bombs

and how much was insurance on that?! D:

20. TheDodoKiller

TheDodoKiller Minimodder

As someone who looked at this recently, I feel I'm qualified to offer advise. (17, passed test in September)

To those suggesting old Volvo's, that's a no go. I spent a while on the phone with Adrian Flux (not the man himself, unfortunately) And according to them, anything over a 1.4 will be over £4000 to insure alone.

£3000 isn't a big budget, you'd find it hard to get insurance alone for that price. What I ended up looking at was a Pugeot 306 1.4, which was around £3500 to insure. You might find a better deal looking to be insured on your parent's policy, however, that's risky business, I don't need to explain it, google search 'Insurance fronting' and have a read.

I never did end up buying a car, I've got my module 2 motorcycle test on the 4th of jan, and I'm getting a motorbike after that, simply because I can't afford/justify spending £3000 on insurance alone.

I'm probably not helping that much, but it seems like very few 17 year old guys can afford cars, and, for me, it's not worth it.

You will probably save about £500 on your premiums when you turn 18, so that's an option.