1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows WHS 2011 softwares?

Discussion in 'Software' started by wyx087, 21 Feb 2013.

1. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

OK, got my HP Microserver up and running in its most basic configuration, before moving all my data across, I'd like to configure it.

Need the following software features, please could people recommend a software for WHS2011 achieve that?

1- DLNA server (Serviio?)
    2- VPN server (native?)
    3- WebDAV server (Add-in?)
    4- FTP server (native?)
    5- Audio streaming to iPad with iOS app that can play in the background.
    6- Web gallery that is exactly like Synology photo station, with geotagging and username based access. iOS app also.
    7- bog standard HTTP Download software that is manageable through a web page
    8- Torrent software that is manageable through a webpage like Transmission
    9- Antivirus (MSE? early google doesn't look possible)

That's it I think.

Basically just looking for alternatives that I currently run on my Synology NAS. Especially DS Photo (photo gallery), DS Audio (iPad streamer) and DS File (WebDAV)

Really stuck on 5-9 where they have niche features.

Many thanks in advance. :thumb:

Last edited: 21 Feb 2013
  2. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

Hello,

there is a version of MSE that runs on WHS2011- I had it on my WHS2011 install, I really wish I saved the link where I found it, as it's quite a hard thing to find since they took the compatibility out of it, but it is out there somewhere.

edit: infact it's even easier than that apparently now, as there is a switch to disable os check

http://homeservershow.com/forums/in...stalling-mse-in-whs-2011-from-command-prompt/

For torrenting I use utorrent with their webui addon type thing, my whole house queues up torrents through their browsers, and it's really simple to do http://www.utorrent.com/help/guides/webui

wyx087 likes this.
  3. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

One you might be interested in it you have a lot of video, I use something called Air Playit. It transcodes video (and audio?) so you can watch on iDevices regardless of format.

And Serviio will do what you want DLNA wise without any hassle.

4. Margo Baggins

The hp microserver is a bit pap at transcoding on account of the low power chip it has.

5. wyx087

Anyone know if StableBit DrivePool is worth investing? or any free alternatives.

thanks for uTorrent, didn't know they had WebUI.
    and also many thanks for the MSE link, will be very useful :D

So now HTTP Download and Web gallery of some sort are still needed.

[rant]
    people say Synology is over priced, end of the day you are paying for the software. everything just works, whereas with this self-built cheap version, I have to spend so much time looking for alternatives and hack them to work.
    I'd be happy to pay for a Synology OS to run on my HP microserver
    [/rant]

6. Margo Baggins

Synology os is sweet!

There is also Drivebender (i think it's called that) - but that is also not free. There doesn't seem to be any freesource app that allows drive pooling like there was in the old whs.

7. TaRkA DaHl

TaRkA DaHl Modder

If you load all of the photos into the default folder 'pictures' and setup remote web access, you get your own https://NAME.homeserver.com webpage where you can login (even as guest) and browse a gallery without any plugins. No iOS login though.

8. wyx087

still looking for a good web gallery with an iOS app. The gallery came with it just doesn't cut it for my requirements, I don't want system-wide users, only photo gallery users.

also looking for an app to manage files on WHS'11. looking at the tutorials, WebDAV turned out to only share a single folder.

for audio streaming, I'm thinking to install iTunes and use Home Share.

Purchased DriveBender in the end, mainly because was 50% off making it cheaper than DrivePool.

Copying files from Synology at the moment, have installed MSE, Transmission-Qt (for torrenting), also Serviio. All of them seem to work great so far.

9. Margo Baggins

Did mse install work with that command line switch? Would be useful bit of info to add to my knowledge.

Why did you go for Transmission-Qt over utorrent? (I only ask as I have always used Utorrent, and if there is something better, i want to use that)

I don't know what you mean about managing files - can you not just set up normal file shares?

10. wyx087

MSE installed like a dream using that command line switch. Then I set up to have it quarantine files instead of ask what to do.

Only used Transmission because I am used to Transmission, it's simpler and just works. Also due to Sickbeard and Couchpotato can both interact with Transmission. All it means is that I don't need to experiment, can just move entire setup from my NAS onto WHS'11.

By managing files, I mean move, copy, delete files on the server using the iPhone and iPad through an app. Don't really care what protocol I use, as long as I can manage all the files without using the clumsy remote desktop.

11. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Not sure if you need to do it with Transmission, but on my Whs 2011 server I set up uTorrent to run as a service so I don't have to log in. I also have logitech media server running as a service for my raspberry pi. One nice add in for WHS 2011 is Advanced Admin Console.

Drive Bender is great. I have been running it for close to a year and have not had any issues with it.

12. wyx087

Thanks, I've set it to auto login and then lock the screen through BAT file. It's running headless anyway.

I've installed iTunes for Home Sharing, aka media streaming on iOS devices, natively.

Set up FTP to configure files, but accessing FTP through router firewall seems to be a problem. Reading online, seems like opening port 21 isn't enough, passive FTP have many other random ports need to be opened?

Still looking for a good web gallery with an iOS app support.