1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Eee PC warranty still intact

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 10 Dec 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Very nice mod! I would run an extern 2,5" hdd instead as my soldering skills are far from enough for a mod like this :duh:

3. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

what about changing the hard drive? and the battery?

4. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

The EEE doesnt have a harddrive as it uses flash chips soldered to the motherboard as storage.

5. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Totally sweet mod, I love it!
    I want to do it now. :D

6. mrplow

mrplow obey the fist!!

I don't really understand the desire for these things...

7. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

8. specofdust

specofdust Banned

****ing awesome :D

I'm gonna open up my wee precious right now. DXR - you'll be able to add a Mini-PCI-E based HDD, but it replaces the internal SSD aparently, so if you stick an 8GB one in then you lose the initial 4GB. A little annoying. In a year or two though if say 32 or 64GB mini-PCI-E based SSDs were cheap, it'd be a great upgrade. As for the RAM, that's getting done ASAP on mine.

9. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I was thinking of waiting till the price comes down, then picking up a black one, vacuum forming some clear acrylic, doing an etching, LEDs, an iPod HDD, internal Bluetooth. Possibly expand the battery capacity. Custom kernel and window manager etc. Really pimp one out. Like really ridiculously.

You know, because I can. And have an uber portable machine. Oh, and get mod of the month ;).

10. specofdust

specofdust Banned

You're very unlikely to find space for that in the current casing. The new 1.2" drives toshiba released though? They're a strong candidate for fitting in the physical space above the RAM. You can also do internal blootooth very easily. Battery capacity is harder, although people have started investigating the possibility of building their own cells. It won't be long before uprated cells are out there. Overclocking is fairly simple too, straight to 900Mhz. Further if you're lucky/crazy.

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

aren't you guys annoyed by the fact that the screen is not 'fullscreen' (black plastic borders)

or is it just me ? :D

12. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I've seen a Bluetooth dongle and flash drive added, so I know that's definitely possible. The plan was to vacuum form a new cover not only to give me a window, but a few extra mm for either the HDD, or a USB WiFi dongle (so I can put the HDD where the internal WiFi card is; next to the PCIe slot).

And I've swapped laptop battery cells out before - just buy higher capacity ones, and tweak the charger a little.

Overclocking? of course. I'm crazy!

13. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Its been done! Cuts down on battery life hard but not impossible. Check it out here!

14. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Wow, I can't believe I missed that. I browse those forums every day for new stuff on my little box of tricks :D

It's a fairly extreme mod, but damn that's cool. Of course, modding in the 1.8" SSD's that are just around the corner, in very large flavours, will be far far more interesting.

15. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

sweet :thumb:

great mod

16. chrisuk

chrisuk What's a Dremel?

I've got one on order, for later this week. I think, for my commute in the morning, its a bit of a bargain really. Nice and hackable as well. The closest thing I've seen over here (uk) is the N810 which is about £100 more expensive. And well, here you are probably looking at a similar step up to a basic laptop (unlike the US) - plus, if I wanted to take a 15.4" laptop on my commute, I'd take the MBP.

Tags: Add Tags