1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Path of Exile

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Wira, 28 Jan 2013.

1. Wira

Wira Spoderman

2. rollo

rollo Modder

I just hope it stays free to play

most of these games end up pay to win

3. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

I've been playing since the end of June. Really love the game.

It doesn't seem like the game will end up P2W - at least not outright. The only thing you can buy that is actually worth something gameplay wise is extra space for the shared stash. What I don't like it that there appearently is no limit to how many extra tabs one can buy.

4. Loafers

Loafers What's a Dremel?

5. asteldian

asteldian Minimodder

Yeah it's a fun game, very Diabloesque. I think of it as a cross between D1 and D2 - which is good because I didn't like D2 all that much - too much open space made it feel sparse. PoE has the open space but lots of claustrophobic feeling.

It is unlikely P2W will be the case, afterall, this is not some money grabbing business, but a game made by hardcore gamers and they got ALOT of money donated for support - asuprisingly large number of people even giving $1000 donations for essentially nothing. With that kind of support they will keep on making money from fluff without the need to P2W.

Course the guys may get greedy at some point, but I don't think they need to anytime soon

6. rollo

rollo Modder

played a bit late last night

First impressions its diablo with worse graphics.

Theres alot they have done right though.

Things to work on,

Map - its a shoddy mess at the moment its hard to really call it a map.
    Quest help ( major complaints on forums) just does not exist and it will struggle to gain a casual player base till it does fix this.
    Servers - Struggling under load at the moment a few dcs now and again.

Things that are great

Talent system - you can basically go where you please and build a wizard rogue if you please
    Skill system - All Skills are drops on the floor that you slot into your gear they grow as you grow.
    Classes - Alot of choice and plenty of variation.

All in all something to pay attension too, Once it leaves open beta it needs to of at least fixed the map system or it will really struggle to get people playing.

7. Whindog

Whindog What's a Dremel?

Awesome game. The map is fine but takes getting used to. Once you know it it works well.

It will not be a game like D3 which is casual friendly. This game is hard and hard early on. You will die in normal on your first attempt.

I play HC, and to reroll a character is no where knew as painful as in D3. D3 you had to play the gaem twice before any chalange came your way. playing the game 2.5 times with only crappy blue gear was really bad.

Here tho you can die at any time. ANY.....tips for noobs. Cold dmg can freeze you. You get frozen specaily around ahilrake and your dead.

Enjoy the game. It hard its complex its deep and has an awesome late game system with map drops and gear link requirments for all builds. PLay it, love it, enjoy it. It is cracking fun.

The fat it is free to play and there will never be pay to win items ever is a bonus. It already has Pvp to unlike the competing multi million dollar game that has been only talk for 12months.

8. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

I have a little question. Did anyone test it on AMD A10-5800K ? I'm wondering if it can handle it @1080p.

My current rig handles it perfectly (Q6600 + HD5870), but I feel like shrinking the damn thing since I do not play anything but POE and Minecraft (I already know the A10 handles it).

9. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Finally downloaded this (or rather, it finally started working). It's my new singleplayer time sink.

The skill system and talent tree are the two things the devs seem most proud of and for good reason, they've done well. The power to switch your equipped abilities based on what gems you have in your armor makes for a more unique but still easily changeable customization system. The passive talents are awesome in that all classes have access to the same talents, they just start in different places on the tree/maze thing. Some of the more powerful talents actually start changing game mechanics which really interests me, it's a bold move that allows for some truly unique builds.

The "currency" is also quite clever, instead of gold you trade for various items which enchance gear. It makes it a fun choice of use the item on an armor piece to make it stronger, or buy a better one from a vendor with that same item.

Only complaints so far are that it feels like it copies a little bit too much from Diablo. Having a big guy with a hook attack in a prison during Act 1 made my eyes roll. And the obnoxious identify system. Why do dungeon crawlers keep copying this? It's such a tedious waste!

10. Aterius Gmork

The identify system makes a lot of sense in this game. At the vendors every gem can be upgraded to the next higher tier, thus identifying your items actually costs money instead of making more. Idealy only identify what you actually need. Do not identify blues unless you need them.

By now I actually dislike most things that originally made me pick up this game - probably because I have picked up Diablo 3, as much as a waste of money that turned out to be.

While the economy might seem clever at first the system actually has one distinct disadvantage: It brings out the worst in the players. "Old" players get rich by ripping off new players. There is no tactical fighting because everyone rushes in to grab the loot as the 3 seconds time for picking up stuff is a joke. Nobody in a random party will open town portals because they are worth too much.

Having played Diablo I would definitely prefer an auction house. I'd also prefer an economy based on some kind of money, no trading currency. That way veteran players would actually help new players instead of grabbing their loot or ripping them off.

The skill tree might seem to offer a lot of choice at first, but in reality there is none, the game is too difficult for that - and the economy too unfair. There are all these great builds out there, but usually they depend on very specific gear that most people cannot afford. In the end most will choose either health or energy shield and get only the mathing nodes. There is no mix and match. There has been, but due to the way the new skill tree works it is impossible to play a casting Marauder based on life regen as a new player.

The game is great, it has many of the elements I would have wished for in Diablo 3 (such as real boss fights instead of cut scenes), but I wish GGG would have gone all the way and copied the social aspects that bring together the players from the Diablo series as well.

11. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

Its not diablo, I wouldn't compare it.

Also trading is a bartering system, exercise some negotiation skills and have a look on the forums for more info on what an item is actually worth. Also the skilltree is fantastic, it enables some truely unique builds, Like atm I am a cold caster lvl62 shadow doing 10k dps with freezing pulse. If I were tied into a class system it would soon get tiring.

12. Aterius Gmork

Why shouldn't I compare the game to Diablo? The similarities are clear and everywhere. Imo that is a compliment as POE doesn't need to fear the comparison.

So far I have not been ripped off by anyone - because I frequent the forums. However that is not true for everyone. Having to stumble upon the right post in the forum that explains the currency is bothersome.

But the fact that I personally have not been ripped off doesn't make the system any better.

And a freezing pulse shadow is totally unique... not. Some people might use a different spell but I bet the passive nodes you took will be very similar to most casting shadows (i.e. most of them) out there. That is unless a) you have some special equipment that will not be readily available to most players or b) your build is simply bad. I guess it will be one of the first two options.

But I'd love to be corrected, show me a truly unique shadow concept that is different from the two or three out there that can be achieved with self found items. Most shadows will be crit based casters that will either rely on engergy shield or use eldritch battery. Then there are a few that use a bow. Melee based shadows or tank shadows will be few and far between.

I love this game! I really do! I just wish the mechanics would be used to bring the players together instead of just motivating one to rip off the other. Mechanics like this always favor either kids or poeple privileged enough to not need to work that can not only sink the time required into the game but also waste hours upon hours on the trading forum.

13. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

No its a blood magic build with a few crit nodes in. I am using uniques which I found in maps which is pretty nice. As for trading, I dont really trade unless its with people who I know are playing/play with.

Bartering is a nicer system for me because you can negotiate, and if you have some chump asking an exorbitant amount for an item you walk away.

Flicker strike shadows were par for the course but with server instability still a bit of a thing when the americans jump on no one really can use it effectively.

Now if you were saying about generic stuff, I have to admit there are a lot of summon skeleton totem dudes who pretty much put it on everything, but with life leech/blood magic I don't need a meat shield to do so as I have enough HP.