1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Infinity Ward wields MW2 Steam-powered banhammer

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 30 Nov 2009.

1. Sifter3000

Sifter3000 I used to be somebody

2. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Good luck plugging the leaky boat when its already on the bottom of the ocean

this wont do squat, if you have to wait 2 weeks before you can find a decent game, within those 2 weeks even more people will have started cheating thus making this an exercise in futility

3. cjoyce1980

cjoyce1980 What's a Dremel?

cheat much :p

4. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

Incidentally, neither myself nor anyone I play MW2 with has encountered someone that was clearly cheating. Skilled players yes, hackers with wall hacks or aimbots and impossibly high scores? No.

Gremlin - the way VAC works is by analysing the cheats themselves - cheat comes out, gets added to VAC and then VAC bans everyone using it. This is the same for TF2, CSS, Left 4 Dead and they don't have a reputation for cheating. Sure it's not as immeadiatley effective as direct admin bans but it has a much wider reaching effect.

5. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

At least they're trying...

6. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I play it a fair bit and ive come across cheaters in most games I've played, so much so I've stopped playing MP until they sort their **** out

I know how it works, but without direct bans it seriously destroys your game when you run into them

7. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

Still better than PunkBuster.

8. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Good on IW and steam. :). Hopefully hackers will stop their hacking if they know the ban hammer is out

9. Lord_Azrael

Lord_Azrael What's a Dremel?

I thought there was some cheating going on! 3 days after release I came across a player touting a Veteran Level 70, and surely that wasn't physically possible? I've seen a few others since....but maybe not for much longer!

10. Eloquence

Eloquence The cake is a lie!

There are plenty of good reasons for a delayed-ban system.

11. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

The thing is, having your steam account banned means nothing to these hackers. They are using copied versions of the game, so they can just make a new account and go right back to cheating.

At least with PB it banned your CD key, this is the one place where steam falls down, once something is hacked, its hacked for good.

12. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

Should work on reducing the time it takes for bans to com into effect, but it's good to see something is being done!

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dedicated servers and admins would be better

14. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

Likewise, I've not seen any cheating either, and TBH what's far more annoying to me than any potential cheaters that might be out there is accusations of cheating being thrown around in every single game I play. It gets old very, very quickly.

I can only guess that people aren't very good at spotting cheaters. I only ever encountered a couple of wallhackers in COD4, and you could spot them a mile off just by watching the killcams. I'm currently rank 60 and I haven't seen anything like that (though I have seen people that are already rank 70 on the 10th prestige level already, but that doesn't really harm anyone else's experience). People say they're just 'good' cheaters so disguise it well, but when the alleged cheater has a negative kill/death ratio it just makes the people that throw these accusations around sound like whining kids that don't like it if something doesn't go their way.

All I can say is that if there are any cheaters out there, they're probably better off trying to actually play the game rather than using those crappy hacks, because they're obviously not very good.

15. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

i suspected a couple fo people.

1: i was a TDM 6-6 and the top player got 48-1 kill/death ratio (next nearest was around 20ish-5). i didint call it but looking at his kill cam some shot were amazing accurate in a split second. cud have been a pro player i guess.

2: was a guy with something silly like 65-6 K/D and alot of his kills to me and my friend were knife attacks. The guy just seemed to run through you.

thats about all ive seen. The thing that annoys me most is the bunny hoppers and dolphins drivers whcih kill the experiance for me.

They make a game which is supposed to slightly-realistic with fast game play and tactics and it gets reduced to bunch a idiots prancing around shooting.

i really wish they would ban jumping and shooting like the MOD for Cod4 that prevents firing at all when jumping.

16. Baz

Baz I work for Corsair

My thoughts exactly - paranoia quickly sets in if you get a few lucky kills. Watching kill cams should be enough for most people but some people just can't accept a bad beat. Many don't realise moving makes noise - even the heat beat sensor's "beeps" can be heard by enemies and have given me away more than a few times.

17. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

I am in agreement with Baz and smc8788, people are too quick to call cheat when more than likely it was luck or skill. Sometimes people happen to be looking the right way or standing in the right place or they do those things on purpose with skill and tactics.

I think the ''cheats'' that they are talking about are mostly achievement hacks and those don't worry me. I don't think having all the weapons will make you any better than me on rank 1 and I usually make a beeline for the high ranked players because I expect to have a more skillful encounter. If they cheated their way up then they are going to get shot by me repeatedly.

And MR HAPPY, if you believe dedicated servers and admins would have been better then you're dreaming. 75% of servers never have the admins on because they are just hosted and of the rest with active admins, half go on a power trip so it becomes impossible to play there if your good and half are incompetent, so there is little left to actually do some proper banning.

I welcome this news item.

18. frontline

frontline Punish Your Machine

The problem with vac (and part of it's success too) is that it is a delayed system, it has to be to stay one step ahead of the cheats. The problem on MW2 is, there are no server admins to get rid of obvious and blatant cheats in the meantime. Plus it depends largely on how often Valve update vac.

I'm not so sure that CSS doesn't have a reputation for cheating. The game is constantly in the top 20 sales on Steam due to people 'losing' their old steam id.....

19. javaman

javaman May irritate Eyes

think it was reported by bindi that knifing people like that isn't impossible to do.

discussion ==> http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=2160606#post2160606

20. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

When I was working at GAME someone was buying thier forth copy of CSS, I asked them why and they said its because they had been banned 3 times. I suggested to him that maybe he should stop cheating.

He said "then I couldn't win then could I?"

Silly noobcake.

Tags: Add Tags