1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs My Gaming Twitch

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 25 Sep 2010.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I often lean to one side to when I'm trying to avoid arrows from the Huntsman in TF2.

And I'm told I grimace angrily when I'm playing Angry Birds on the bus, something that upsets the old ladies greatly.

3. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

I remember my mates dad was the worst i've ever seen. Stand anywhere near him when playing a game and you would likely get an elbow or joypad in the face.

I used to laugh at people doing this but then I played Wipeout in first person view and my head was all over the place. I guess I do it a wee bit here and there now but that game is the only one to be so extreme.

4. TCoZ

TCoZ Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo...

Sometimes in first person shooters if someone throws a grenade at me or something like that I lean back and brace for impact, then feel like an idiot afterwards.

5. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

Now you are aware of what you do you can do it and think at the same time don't move forward?

6. John_T

John_T Minimodder

"...unless someone else has a better idea?"

Dear oh dear - secure the monitor to the desk, obviously!
    Or put a (wooden) screen at the back of the desk to make sure nothing falls off.
    Or rig up some nice handy netting.
    Or maybe a few judiciously placed cushions in the event of a worst case scenario...

Not taking you too literally am I? :)

I think we all do this though, probably quite a lot more than we realise or would like to admit. If you really want to upset yourself, film yourself playing a game then play it back and watch it - then realise in horror that that goggle-eyed, fixed-stare loon, (supplemented with bizarre sudden twitches and contorted facial expressions) is what you look like to other people.

Regularly...

7. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Minimodder

I once played the first Half Life for about 8 hours straight when I was about 13/14. After realising just how ****ing thirsty I was, I went to get some milk (I sure do love milk), and knocked over some stuff while making my way to the fridge.

Swear to God, my first thought was "F8" (or whatever the quick load key was), thinking I could just try it again more successfully.

8. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I make a face when I'm playing shooter games. I can't help it, it just comes out!

9. shaunboy

shaunboy Phenom II's are cool guys

Do it all the time when playing any kind of FPS where I'm about to get sniped. Especially in TF2.

10. GavSC

GavSC What's a Dremel?

I think driving games are a good test for this. Most folk will lean into the corners especially when they see they ain't gonna make it.

11. feathers

feathers Minimodder

I do the head and body movement when I get into a FPS. Sometimes I have tried peering over the top of an object in the game by raising my head. The body/head movement thing happens much more if you play games with a Fresnel lens in front of the screen because the lens sucks you into the game world in a way not possible without.

Having said that, I haven't used my Fresnel lens for a while. Been busy with other things.

12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Oh yes, Wipeout gets me as well, even on the PSP! I'll start tipping the screen to 'make' the craft turn better and then start wondering why I can't see the screen so well.

Although I will do slight movements in an FPS, the only other game that gets me is X3. I'll strain my neck as I 'fight' the g-forces when doing a strafing run and somehow 'feel' the sensation when I quickly have to change course to avoid a collision in a fight.

13. guvnar

guvnar What's a Dremel?

After playing Assassins Creed 2 for lengthy periods I start to view tall buildings with a view to the nearest grip point and before you know it I'm at the top...

...then I snap out of it and carry on with my normal life!!

14. sstteevveenn

sstteevveenn What's a Dremel?

I've caught myself leaning to the sides to try to see things that are off the opposite sides of the screen or round a corner, as if the monitor is a window.

15. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

My missus (who doesn't really game outside of Nintendogs)
    + Motorstorm using a bike
    + Sixaxis turned on
    + Me and a few mates laughing until tears.

Try it ;)

16. Pricetx

Pricetx Bad Company 2

I always used to move my head slightly as if it would somehow allow me to see more in that direction.

Then I bought trackir! :p Now I do actually see what i point my head at!

17. Canon

Canon Reformed

That was a reall good read, I also remember watching dad play the Amiga games and although he had a room full of floppys, more games than I will ever own, I couldn't call him a 'gamer'. He was the one that got me into Total Annihilation, the best RTS to date if you ask me.

18. Garfy400

Garfy400 Master of the Universe

Oh yeah, play Assassin's Creed for a while and every building you see you'll be looking for handholds and working out a route up :)

19. blink

blink stay cold

<blockquote>knocked over some stuff while making my way to the fridge.

Swear to God, my first thought was "F8" (or whatever the quick load key was), thinking I could just try it again more successfully.</blockquote>

I've had this thought too and it freaked me way out when I realized it. It's a bit scary when you really think about it. What might one try IRL if they were convinced they had a quicksave to fall back on.

20. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

I start to shiver when the action gets really intense, but I think that's just the adrenaline hit.

Tags: Add Tags