1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V New screen doesn't work, HP Pavilion DM4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by HunterDoom, 27 Jun 2012.

1. HunterDoom

HunterDoom What's a Dremel?

Hi everyone,

My friend cracked part of her LCD screen and I was going to replace it for her. The laptop is a HP Pavilion DM4.

When I installed the new monitor, it is doing some fade effect I have never seen before in a screen; when I turn it on, it goes white and then it starts fading to black but no picture appears (not even the BIOS or where the disk is not found prompt).

I reconnected the old screen and it doesn't do the fade effect but it does change color at one point on the left side of the screen (the un-broken part).

I also ordered a replacement ribbon cable to see if it was that but it wasn't. So my suspicions is that the new screen is a dud.

The link below is the video I made with the new screen in the first half and the old-broken screen in the second half.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOGaI7Cdgoc

(Put the video in full screen to see the top and bottom text during the video)

Has anyone seen this occur before or know anything I can do to fix it? Did I just buy a dud screen?

Anything would be appreciated.

2. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

I had this problem when I bought a replacement screen from an eBay seller who listed the screen as compatible, but it wasn't. Although the replacement physically fit and the main ribbon cable fitted, it had an extra connector that the laptop didn't have but I tried it anyway and it gave me the same output as you're having now. I returned it and then bought a replacement by matching the model number of the screen rather than the model number of the laptop and it's still working fine to this day.

3. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Had this too.

Many ebay muppets selling wrong screens for laptops.

4. HunterDoom

HunterDoom What's a Dremel?

Ok, it only came in last week so i should be able to return it.

Is getting it from amazon just as bad?

Last edited: 28 Jun 2012