1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Human Revolution's boss fights were outsourced

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 20 Sep 2011.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Well, one of the bossfights can be won without bullets fired :).

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I've got through the first two (just defeated the second), and personally didn't think they were too bad.

*very mild spoilers*

True the first boss was just a bullet sponge, but there were so many guns and grenades in the arena it wasn't difficult.

The second boss I thought was pretty awesome - absolutely impossible until you work out a weakness trick (of which there are a few), and then killable in about 30 seconds. I was so chuffed when I worked out how to do it.

4. LJF

LJF Modded

I killed the third boss last night with a single punch. Such a ridiculous glitch.

5. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Try doing the second one without electro-resist! She's damn near impossible!

6. LJF

LJF Modded

I did. Killed her with another glitch. Found a spot where her typhoon somehow misses at close range and then stun-gunned her 15-20 times in succession. She's stunned for just long enough to reload and fire off the next round.

7. Darkefire

Darkefire What's a Dremel?

I was in love with the game up until the first boss fight (which I'm currently stuck on). Penny Arcade got it right, if you've been playing almost purely as a nonlethal stealth type who avoids most fights you're going to be rather ill-equipped to suddenly have to handle a 7 foot cyborg with a minigun for a left hand who can take more bullets to the head than I've fired in the entire game thus far. It's so completely jarring to suddenly have to play like a first-person shooter when I've spent a good five hours up to that point doing my best Sam Fisher impression. Heck, I turned down the difficulty to "Easy" and the guy still wipes the floor with me in under a minute.

8. Zero_UK

Zero_UK What's a Dremel?

Spoilers: @ bloody_Pete: I found she was okay to beat by making gas and emp mines. Stand in the middle and place them in a wide circle around you. She runs to attack, sets it off and loses a load of health or disabled. Shoot the heck out of her :p

9. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Yup, the Stun Gun is your friend. This is how I did it:

1) Shoot her with a stun gun straight away
    2) Switch weapons and unload half a magazine of Heavy Rifle into her face whilst she's stunned
    3) She recieves so much damage she runs off to recharge without attacking you
    4) Reload all your guns
    5) Have your stun gun ready when she returns

Repeat.

Took two cycles and she was down, although I imagine it would be more on hard difficulty.

10. Deders

Deders Modder

I found them all very easy......
    1st took me a few tries to realise I shouldn't just shoot them but use my environment. Throwing gas cannisters slowed him down, then just keep shooting until he comes at you again and repeat.

2nd was easy enough as I found her recharging and just shot her loads with exploding magnum bullets. Might have used an EMP grenade, Can't remember.

By the 3rd one I had the grenade launcher, only needed 2 or 3 shots, didn't even die once.

11. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

@Deders:
    1st one - i took rocket launcher for him. 3 rockets, he is down.
    2nd one - stunt gun + few grenades.
    3rd one - single punch while he is jumping over the fence: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v1X5F0d58I

12. Cogwulf

Cogwulf What's a Dremel?

Okay, so they outsourced the boss fights, that's one thing. But then, they release a video bragging about it?

And then, with the video they include snapshots of some really interesting cut-scenes that never appeared into the game, cut-scenes which show the boss fights in much bigger open areas, with more footage leading up to the start of the fights.

When I played the game the first time, it wasn't everything I'd hoped for but I enjoyed it, I was happy. Now they keep showing me more and more which not only proves it was possible for them to have made the game better, but also that they just gave up trying.

13. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I did. Didn't find it at all hard really, just dodged grenades when I saw them coming.

14. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i guess those subcontractors didn't ask the all important question: "is this deus-ex-y?"

15. Adnoctum

Adnoctum Kill_All_Humans

The spoilers below are only non-specific fight details with hints, not storyline/location spoilers.

I'm playing through for the second time for Pacifist (no kills) and Max Difficulty achievements. Killed the 1st boss with just the 10mm pistol. Yeah, he is a beast, but a flaw is he is a slow tank. You need to keep moving using the cover of columns and barriers,
    and his gun overheats, so use this time to break cover to move/fire. Use a few EMP grenades if you have them. I also had a single explosive grenade I was saving for him.
    It took a couple of goes, but wasn't so bad.

2nd boss was easier and I made it past on the first try, similarly with the 10mm pistol and max difficulty.
    The Smart Vision augment is very handy (I won't say why), and the EMP Shielding armour augment is near essential because of environmental electricity.
    Again, keep moving and use the cover available. I also found mines (remembering where you laid them!) very helpful. EMP grenades are very effective.

Almost up to the 3rd boss now. From my first play through, I know I'll need to keep moving and use the available cover and use some grenades. Hmm, I'm starting to see a pattern! :hehe:

16. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Side step her intital charge, shoot her with the stun gun, reload, shoot her with the stun gun. Repeat about 20 times and shes down.

17. MjFrosty

MjFrosty Minimodder

I love how the guy sounds really chuffed and up beat about what he's doing..

Which turns out ruined an otherwise almost perfect game

18. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

It's probably a response from the developers who had their hands tied by meddling and ill-informed executives trying to explain to a let-down fan base why exactly did the boss fights suck so bad in comparison.

19. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

And that kids is why you need to be careful when you subcontract.

20. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

Yep I had exactly the same problem and was on maximum difficulty. In the end I had to yield by lowering the dfficiutly for this boss.

Tags: Add Tags