1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News ATI tops graphics market

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Lizard, 30 Jul 2010.

1. Lizard

Lizard @ Scan R&D

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

congrats to ATI/AMD to be honest.

Even when they have had the best cards Nvidia still had the majority because average joe bloggs was wowed by PC world and the latest graphics on maximum extreme high resolutions all powered with a 8400GS lol.

Its about time, ATI has done a great drop since the introduction of the 4 series and brought about some excellent competition which has forced nvidia to respond.

3. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

All that market share but still can't make a profit! Shame they wont keep that share either!

4. Salty Wagyu

Salty Wagyu moo

hmm, I think Nvidia will overtake it back soon with the sales of 460s happening right now, seeing how popular they are at the moment at being the best mid-range card around.

5. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

The 460 is a great card and a great price.....but that is because Nvidia is selling it virtually at a loss just to reclaim market share, even though the card has received great reviews many reports state that 460 sales are slow, in any event thats not a sustainable position and one that ATi has plenty of room to counter with a price cut.....then of course Southern Islands ATi 6000 series will be out in the next few months.
    The 460 may give a temporary positive "blip" but the overall trend is and will continue down, just wait for AMD's fusion products to hit Nvidia's low/mid range sales.

6. amacieli

amacieli What's a Dremel?

Profit > market share. Article somewhat meaningless from a corporate/shareholder perpsective, no?

7. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

Is it just me or you always says "shame shame shame" just to make something/someone looks silly? It seems a habit of yours to make something positive as negative. So what about they're not making profit? Even If they're really not, you should've thanked them because they're still competing and innovating even with a loss! Will you do the same if you're their CEO's? Nah, I don't think so. Maybe you'll just filed bankruptcy and say, "Shame we don't have the money!".

Oh and they makes the green goblin you-know-who to rethink their strategy of milking their customers to death. It's because of ATI we all now could enjoy the lastest tech without costing you a fortune.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2010
  8. crazyceo

crazyceo What's a Dremel?

And your point was?

9. Denis_iii

Denis_iii What's a Dremel?

I'm not surprised ATI has taken the market, they've done a cracking job and deserve it. I hope they continue to grow fast and push there open standards hard as I'm sick of nvidia's proprietory cuda and physX which should be platform independant.

I hope ATI brings on a price cut soon else I'll be forced to pick up 2 Nvidia 460's for SLI.

10. technogiant

technogiant What's a Dremel?

Is that for AMD as a whole? I'm sure if you looked at the ATI division independantly it would be in profit, we all know AMD's cpu division is in a rut and dragging things down (hopefully to change with fusion and bulldozer products on the horizon)

11. Krayzie_B.o.n.e.

Krayzie_B.o.n.e. What's a Dremel?

Congratulations to ATi. You have once again slayed the evil green empire.

With HD 6000 series just around the corner all you gotta do is drop the prices on the HD 5850 to hold off the GTX 460.

I'm still dreaming of a HD5890 1ghz 1536mb 384 bit

12. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

Judging by Steam HW survey - nVidia was living off it's succesful GF8 & 9 series. Radeons 4 & 5 series are much more succesful compared to it's nVidia counterparts(GT200, 400). Though it's been only a few weeks since nVidia launched decent GT460 GPUs which might change the situation a bit. At least there's nice GPU and price war to watch, ideal situation for gamers...

13. battles_atlas

battles_atlas What's a Dremel?

Man I love these 'market analysts'. How made do they get paid to spend an hour a day surfing a couple of tech websites?

"Mercury Research's Dean McCarron claims that the dramatic change in the market came about due to AMD's decision to launch budget-friendly DirectX 11 cards while Nvidia concentrated on the high-end."

Hmmm, yes. They were also probably slightly aided by the fact that nvidia spent 6 months of last year with no products on sale due to a massive logistics/fab cockup, and by the fact that ATI have had clearly superior technology for the last couple of years. I understand that you probably took the day off for a round of golf before you read about that stuff though.

14. battles_atlas

battles_atlas What's a Dremel?

How much* obviously.

Why can't comment sections include edit functions anymore? Did the coalition pass some law that I missed?

15. Loot3r

Loot3r What's a Dremel?

i have owned many cards from both these companies and its been like this from the start!
    Nvidia>ATI
    Nvidia<ATI
    And as a customer i cant be more happy. The only difference is that ATI came back from a very bad fall very quickly and that to me is a great achievement! May the best card win!

16. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

You can fudge statistics to make anyone look like they are on top. Beating Nvidia in a market they don't seem to care about is a rather pointless victory. It's like skoda saying they are better than ferrari because they sell more low end vehicles... ferrari would just laugh at them.

17. Fizzl

Fizzl What's a Dremel?

You can still edit just view it in the forums instead of the news pages.

Last edited: 30 Jul 2010
  18. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

congratz to ATI! this is coming from a customer who long for a good competition...

damn u ATI! this is coming from the nvidia fanboi inside of me....

but overall tho...

good going ATI!

19. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I bet it was because I just bought one which tipped the scales.

20. aoakley

aoakley FriesWithStatic

51:49%? Given Nvidia's uninspiring and underperforming product range until very recently, I'm surprised that it is that close. I don't know *anyone* who knows what they are doing who has bought Nvidia in the last couple of years.

For the past two years, Nvidia really have been proof that advertising works.

That said, the new top-end Nvidia line does seem to finally be giving the ATI 57xx/59xx series a run for its money, so I'm looking forward to reaping the rewards of that competition when it filters down to the budget/mid-end in 6-18 months.

Tags: Add Tags