1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD challenges Nvidia's 'fastest graphics card' claim

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 28 Mar 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. fingerbob69

fingerbob69 Minimodder

Well, nVidia would be the first to start shouting at anyone who would listen if the reverse was true!

3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

haha, benchmark comparison is as useful as a chocolate teapot.

real world gaming experience is where it's at. and judging by latest title such as Crysis 2 and Assassin's Creed Brotherhood lack of support for multi-GPU. good luck actually playing games on those monstrosities.

/hugs my single fastest single GPU, goes off to play AC Brotherhood :D

4. DwarfKiller

DwarfKiller What's a Dremel?

Tell them to prove it with folding...
    I just want to see a better AMD/ATi GPU Client

5. Xir

Xir Modder

I don't think anyone is clearly ahead.
    They're so close, depending on what game / what resolution / what emphasis they come out as aven or only slightly apart.
    If for instance, i read Bit-Tech's test, looking at the minimum frame rates, the GTX comes out slightly ahead in most games tested here.
    If I read them looking at the average frame-rate, it's about 50-50.
    I'm sure if you selected different game the radeon would come out slightly ahead.

The problem with COD (both of them falling behind) shows SLI-on-a-stick may not be for everybody.
    I'd rather have a fast single chip card thank you.

6. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

Quite frankly my opinion is that they are pretty evenly matched so why does it matter which one might have a slight advantage here but lose out here. If i was an AMD/ATi fanboy I'd buy the 6990, if I was an Nvidia fanboy I'd buy the 590. If I wasn't sure I'd look at which games I play and whether I'd want it to fold or not.

Fact is there is no clear performance king, period. :D

7. Harlequin_uk

Harlequin_uk Banned

nvidia would simply suggest to use hawkz and stone giant....

3dm11 is a reasonable tool - as long as AMD doesnt use any drivers with adaptive tessellation - oh wait , they still reduce tessellation level in the driver slider ignoring what's set in game/ programme.

8. Jack_Pepsi

Jack_Pepsi Clan BeeR Founder

I'd be folding if we had a decent AMD Folding client.

:(

In regards to this, I'd like to see another 590 vs 6990 in a month or so with decent games no Black Ops at large resolutions.

:D

9. kosch

kosch Trango in the Mango

I always find it amusing when AMD and Nvidia start waving their schlongs around in public like this.

10. BRAWL

BRAWL Dead and buried.

All I heard was the entire of Nvidia's customer base go "Challenge Accepted" and AMD stand there looking all egotistical and awesome >.<

This would be intresting to see... Maybe a massive worldwide benchmark of Nvidia Versus ATI/AMD cards? Hosted on 21.12.2012 to see whats fastest? *chuckles*

11. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

12. Woodspoon

Woodspoon What's a Dremel?

+1

13. jizwizard

jizwizard Modder

think nvidia wins when it comes to blowing your card up.

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Outstanding, let's all buy incredibly fast, incredibly expensive graphics cards to render xbox and playstation games at four hundred frames per second!

Domestic_ginger likes this.
  15. Snips

Snips I can do dat, giz a job

It's just a pissing contest really. AMD have their "Leaked" powerpoint presentations showing how fantastic they are and Intel beating performance figures. Which then turn out to be targets rather than actual performance figures. As to moaning and quoting other sites favouring their products, well that just stinks.

They are all as bad as each other but the problem here is that some are siding with either side and we don;t have a conclusive winner. However, Phil Rhodes above has the post to put it all into prespective.

16. Unknownsock

Unknownsock What's a Dremel?

Although 3D mark isn't real world, it still shows its potential, right? Obviously it's driver dependent.

Your forgeting eyefinity and 3D gaming. Regardless if one uses this, this card is pretty much required to play games like this.

17. j_jay4

j_jay4 Minimodder

I bet AMD weren't too pleased with Bit-tech's review of the 590 then

18. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

@j_jay4 ya i bet, considering many other websites did not seem to be as favorable. i often question bit-tech's benchmarks reliability, but you should never just rely on 1 site for all your information.

to me, right now both cards are about equal. theres some tests where one clearly is ahead of the other and vise versa. but, considering amd/ati has always released products with terrible drivers, i feel like the 6990 will EVENTUALLY be the fastest, but currently neither is really better than the other.

19. Hakuren

Hakuren What's a Dremel?

For now there is no clear winner because GTX 590 isn't simply = to 2xGTX580. GTX590 is seriously under-clocked because it is technically impossible to deliver more power via 2x8 pin connectors and PCI-Ex slot. Add another 8-pin PEG, clock both chips and memory to designed speed and see 6990 crumble in benchmarks... not to mention Folding.

Not a fan of AMD, but not a fanboy of nVidia either. Just stating the facts. AMD should shut up, because theirs supposedly super-duper-fastest-mega-6990-moar VGA is beaten [or equal] by what in essence is under-clocked GTX570 in SLI.

C'mon MSI/Asus give GTX590 some TwinFrozr3/DirectCU+Mars treatment!

20. v8ninety

v8ninety What's a Dremel?

I'm sure both sides can produces plenty of statistics that prove their point, however none will be realistic situations. This is just like Oracle vs SQL Server transaction speeds many years ago, Ferrari vs Porsche.... etc.
    We can just sit back and laugh at them

Tags: Add Tags