1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DirectX 10 Far Cry shown off in video

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by WilHarris, 19 Sep 2005.

1. WilHarris

WilHarris Just another nobody Moderator

2. The_Pope

The_Pope Geoff Richards Super Moderator

Unfortunately, the video is just a digicam in video mode waved around in the presentation room at PDC 2005, so it isn't easy to see a lot of the detail. However, once you get to the Volumetric Clouds, even any remaining non-believers will find their jaws hitting their keyboards.

This is pretty darn tasty stuff.

3. sgr55

sgr55 What's a Dremel?

u said it!

thats gotta look impressive up in person

4. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

:jawdrop: :D Thats what my face looks like now...

That looks yummy, Been waiting for 'fully destructible environments' for a while now, I love breaking stuff :D

That does look sooo tasty, how long are we gonna have to wait? 1,2,3 years :sigh:

Might wanna use a direct link to the file as I didnt know what I was looking for or if I had to log in etc... http://s2.putfile.com/videos/26010463625.avi

5. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

Did someone just say volumetric clouds? And the moving leaf bit! ...wow... :jawdrop:

- H.

6. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

*drool*

volumetric...*drool*...clouds...*drool*

7. specofdust

specofdust Banned

The link in the bit-tech article just took me to the main neo-win forum page :(

8. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I doubt I'll be able to run that one at 1280x1024...

P.S: Video is linked to here :)

9. Da Dego

Da Dego Brett Thomas

Probably not allowed to link directly to something like that. This is where Google is your friend. :)

10. Herbicide

Herbicide Lurktacular

It's the top link of the middle block (under recent gamers news) on neowin.

- H.

11. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I couldn't find it either but the links in this thread helped.

The leaf bit is definately most impressive to me, I'd probably have to see it in person for the clouds to be more amazing. Still, w00t! Hopefully this next version won't be as overlooked as the first Far Cry was among the masses. It'll probably suffer the 'need more hardwarez!111' losses though.

12. The_Pope

Well, I can't say I didn't try, but the initial reaction from my guy at Crytek was "Hehe, no comment on the video. It wasn't meant to go public!"

Which is fair enough - I'm sure this leak is causing headaches for several people in Germany. I have done my best to explain how they might capitalise on the fact that this video *is* now everywhere by releasing a high quality version, and I'm waiting on a reply.

If we're lucky, they'll agree with me, but having worked in Games PR myself, there are plenty of reasons why they may choose not to unfortunately :(

/crosses volumetric fingers

13. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I will put a Gipsy curse on them if they dont! :hip:

Pope, what would be the reasons not to?

Why dont you get him on here so he can explain to us :D , we'el sort im out for ya :thumb:

14. Lowsidex2

Lowsidex2 Minimodder

Is there even anything out with SM3? Are shader models just a software feature or a hardware feature? I'm wondering if a 7800 can support these features properly.

15. The_Pope

Fibre+ - the most obvious reason is the "too soon" problem that has plagued many developers. By showing your hand early in the development cycle, certain people who don't understand the time stuff takes think 'blimey, that looks a bit good' and expect the game to be out in 6 months. Then, when it takes 2 years to complete the thing, they are accused of being "late" or criticised for the "delays".

The bottom line is that there will be a PR Plan in place that has had careful consideration and years of experience poured into it. Releasing high-res assets to us today just because the PDC presentation was leaked definitely won't be part of that plan. Clearly, we all want to spooge over crispy video & screenshots, but there are many more factors than just our personal gratification unfortunately.

I'd LOVE it to happen, but I'll understand if it doesn't.

16. leviathan18

leviathan18 What's a Dremel?

this is just amazing the volumetric clouds the leaf the soft shadows

now this engine what kind of physics engine is going to support novodex one or their one.... to have fully destructible environments you will need the aegis PPU for sure

17. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

When you say SM4, is it the same as the difference between 2 and 3? I mean -- does sm4 add features, or just efficiency?

ch424

18. otispunkmeyer

otispunkmeyer What's a Dremel?

SM4 but it was running on current hardware? perhaps 7800GTX goes beyond the calll of SM3?

also i reckon your gonna need that PPU (physics processor) to get the best from the physics engine, all that destructable environments, particle effects, volumetric clouds, plants n stuff....that or Dual CPU systems

19. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

OMG...

:eek:

20. Anakha

Anakha Minimodder

Tags: Add Tags