1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Asus Rampage III Black Edition Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by arcticstoat, 19 May 2011.

1. arcticstoat

arcticstoat Minimodder

2. Xir

Xir Modder

*Yawn*
    Who cares? Even your our own "Premium Player" system isn't based on X58 anymore...
    Go test some P67/Z68 boards like you've been saying for a while now. :D
    Buying decisions are to be made now that the Z68 curtain has fallen!

3. mi1ez

mi1ez Modder

Deja-vu.
    I swear I've read this before...

4. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Sweet, I can spend over £350 to buy an obsolete chipset. Get in!

5. alialias

alialias What's a Dremel?

Do you test each LGA1366 motherboard with exactly the same CPU?
    Also, in the specifications section you say that the expansion slots can be four 4x, should that be four 8x?

6. Bobfoc

Bobfoc What's a Dremel?

With i7's replacement coming out sometime soon-ish, makes you wonder why anyone would...

I'm still happy with my P6T Deluxe V2!

7. Material

Material Soco Amaretto Lime

Of course, we could hardly make any legitimate conclusions about overclockability if we didn't use the same chip for each board.

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

£360 for an obsolete board. Seems like a bargain!

Yeah thanks for the review, but no thanks.

9. Claave

Claave You Rebel scum

Yep, the four 16x slots run at 8x, not 4x. Changed now.

And just to address the 'what's the point of this' comments, this isn't really a board for putting in a PC - nothing with LN2 modes and cold-bug workaround hardware is tbh.

instead, we've judged this board as a pro-overclocking, competition board. As we saw when we attended MSI's MOA event, pro-overclockers still prefer to play with X58 and LGA1336 - it's the fastest in massively multi-threaded tests and more challenging to work with than Sandy Bridge. See:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/bits/events/2011/04/19/msi-master-overclocking-arena-2011/1
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/04/21/how-to-become-a-professional-overclocker/1

10. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

This motherboard has 1 major fault.

No Intel SATA 6Gbs support. It has Marvel controllers so you will not get full speed out of your shiny new Vertex 3 Sandforce SSD.

11. MrGumby

MrGumby CPC 464 User

We going to see any mini itx reviews any time soon?

12. kzinti1

kzinti1 What's a Dremel?

Still the stupidest ratings system ever! I did spot the major flaw in your ratings, thing, or whatever. Where are all the reviewed items that you compare each item to? The ones that have 25 out of 25 points, or whatever they are, for "Features"? 15 out of 15 for "Value" and 60 out of 60 for "Speed"? What, exactly, is this magical product that you are constantly using as the epitome for every type of product that you review? Whatever it is, that's the one, and only one, I want to see. Because all other products can only have a final review that says that it is lacking. You'd save a lot of work that way and also save me some time reading through a review only to find that the product isn't up to snuff. There isn't any such magical product, so that certifies your ratings, thing, as utterly worthless.

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

Been drinking a lot of caffeine today by any chance? You're missing the entire point of reviews, they are here to tell us what is good and what is bad about a product. You think everything should be reviewed against the "Best available" product which has a 100% rating. So what happens when something shinier than that comes along?

Keep it as it is BT!

14. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

when i saw thunderbolt i was hoping to see something about the new interconnect technology. no. they have stupidly named a sound + nic card thunderbolt. misleading much?

15. HandMadeAndroid

HandMadeAndroid That's handy.

£350 for a motherboard lol, thats half the price of a pretty decent machine that will play games

16. Xunsu

Xunsu What's a Dremel?

that is a nice board, but X58? I m sorry isnt that close to end of life now ?

17. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

We named and launched it before Intel announced (i.e. no products) its technology. Intel co-oped with Apple exclusively and forgot to even mention it to the rest of the industry. We learnt about it the same day you did.

An unfortunate branding co-incidence.

Appreciate the review bit-tech :)

For those doubting X58s relevance - well, yes, it's not for new platform buyers but it's doing quite well in what we guess is the upgrade market; those who've had X58 for a couple of years and need a new board. LGA1366 CPUs are not going to suddenly become slow one day :) Our focus this year is of course 1155 for Intel though :)

18. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Really, bit-tech? The board costs $600 USD, over 2-3x other X58 boards, and you still give it a 10/15 as far as value is concerned? The board may be great, but ultimately it's extremely pricey, even considering its feature-set. I honestly cannot see anyone buying this except for people with way too much money, or those into extreme overclocking - but even then I imagine you'd be better served by other boards unless you really do have an unlimited budget.

19. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Depends what you're looking for. It's got everything and the kitchen sink thrown in. That's value to someone. It's a niche board, there's no denying that, but just because something is expensive doesn't mean it's without value. You're not gonna nip to the shops for some milk in your Bugatti Veyron.

You get the very latest VRM hardware and specially tweaked BIOS to use it: ASUS employs pro-overclockers to test and tweak the original R3E design.
    All sorts of ROG extras - specially designed iROG FPGAs (they aren't cheap and the firmware is custom designed by ASUS), RC Bluetooth w/ latest Bluetooth 3.0 (again not cheap), ROG connect, ROG Flashback (flash the BIOS with no CPU - uses an FPGA), TweakIt, ProbeIt, Twin BIOS w/ selection etc
    Choice of either Intel LAN and slightly upgraded audio, or Xonar designed for headphones and the NPU (up to you whether you think that's value depending on what you already own)
    A multitude of SLI/CrossFire options, plus compatibility with ROG Xpander if you already own it/want it since it's not unlikely that people buying this might want 2/3/4 graphics cards.
    The style angle if you're building a themed case etc

Without the development of boards like this one - you wouldn't get some of the tech filtering down to consumer boards in the next generation ;)

Last edited by a moderator: 20 May 2011
  20. zoom314

zoom314 Minimodder

Bit-tech has put up a nice Review, but You do need to fix one thing, I thought Bit-tech was reviewing the Asus Rampage III Black Edition and not the Asus Rampage II Black Edition? Someone might check the article as It's mentioned at least once as the Asus Rampage II Black Edition. It's a nice motherboard, But I can't see Me buying this motherboard, Not when the only difference that I can see besides the heat sinks and the slots changing colors/sizes is the addition of Wireless N which I can add to a USB port for about $15.00(US) and so the $151 or so more over the Asus Rampage III Extreme is simply not worth the extra cost to Me.

Tags: Add Tags