1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Can't get Windows 7 to connect to LAN or wireless *SOLVED*

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by dave454, 23 Mar 2011.

1. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

Hi this has got me totally stumped, i am trying to connect 3 different windows 7 laptops to the LAN and wireless in one of our branches using static ip addresses and they connect to LAN and WLAN but will not connect to the internet, ping routers or see gateways(internet routers) i can connect in other branches with the exact same type of routers and they are fine connect using static ip addresses on windows 7 no problem.

i have also tried laptops with Windows XP and Vista on the LAN and Wireless using static ip and they connect fine like all the XP desktops, but windows 7 will not get the internet.

when i connect to the wireless access point and LAN it is telling me i have got internet connection but when i open internet explorer or firefox, no internet, i cannot ping the gateway or any other pc on the network either. ive also tried the usual fixes like disabling adapters and internet settings but still wont connect using windows 7 and its really annoying now cos i am getting all the moaning now lol ive spoken to the isp to see if it is firmware on the gateway router and that is fine and they cant seem to help me on this.:wallbash:

the only thing that gets me is when i take the laptops to other branches they connect straight away using LAN or WLAN with the same setup but different ip ranges.

if anyone can help i would be grateful or if anyone has had the same problem i will know its not just me with this problem:thumb:

Thanks

Last edited: 5 Apr 2011
  2. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

local static or public static?

have you checked that they are on the same subnet, are the routers setup exactly the same at both locations?

are other devices using the ip addresses already?

have you told each machine which gateway to use?

3. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

thanks for your reply heres the info for ya
    hi yes all local static ip within ip range of routers.

yes all the settings are the same and windows xp connects fine with same details entered, ive spoke to the isp and they have tried also with me and cannot seem to connect to internet on windows 7 LAN or WLAN

no i have picked free ip address for these laptops to use.

yes its the same details as all the other pcs.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

have you tried ipconfig /flushdns in the command prompt?

5. TSDAdam

TSDAdam Beard!

It's not something stupid to do with the way those networks are being remembered in win7?

I know it likes to tag them as public/home etc and remember them, have you tried totally removing any trace of the connection, and adding it again? It could be that the other branches have the networks 'remembered' as a different type?

Not that it should make any difference whatsoever, but you never know :)

6. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

tried ipconfig and addresses are in there also tried deleting the remembered connection details ie ip address and dns and gateway etc and remembered wireless networks and reconnecting, they connect to the access points but dont go out to the internet and that is the same over LAN also, its fine at any other site its just this site that is being a pain, just will not connect with windows 7 over lan or wlan.

7. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

did you flush the dns though by typing in the command prompt ipconfig /flushdns

8. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

cheers rich ive just tried tha,succesfuly done but its the same it keeps telling me that i have connection to the internet but i cant ping anything else on the network or internet. my isp dont seem to know what is going on either they can ping the machines from there router though but i cant ping that router on either windows 7 machines i dont have a clue if im doing anything wrong because im getting connection at all other sites with the only difference being the ip range :wallbash:

9. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

last ditch is delete the drivers from device manager, and let windows if it can re-install them

10. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

i could try and see if that works its a very strange one i think and its got me totally stumped as i can connect with xp and vista and also connect the same windows 7 laptops to all other sites with same setup besides this one. thanks for your help will let you know how i get on.

11. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

i've got some errands to run, so won't be back til later, i'll look out for your post when i get back

12. dave454

dave454 What's a Dremel?

Seems to have sorted the problem i had to follow this process to get windows 7 to connect to the wireless or LAN

1. Click the Start button. Select All Programs > Accessories. Right click Command Prompt and click Run as administrator. Type regedit.exe and press enter.
    2. Go to the following location: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Tcpip\Parameters
    3. Right click this entry and select New Dword.
    4. Rename the new entry ArpRetryCount (leave it set to 0 by default).
    5. Restart the computer.
    and i got a connection on both windows 7 laptops.

i think it had something to do with windows 7 giving it an apipa address instead of the one i was specifying, maybe something to do with routers i dont know but it is exact same setup on all sites. just glad its worked and is now up and running. cheers for your replies.

teamtd11 and Fizzban like this.
  13. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

+rep for posting up the fix. Might help someone else down the line.

14. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Small thing, but changing the title to have the prefix of '[SOLVED]' is a massive help on such a unique issue as this, especially if people are finding the thread from a search engine!