1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft sets Windows 8 upgrade pricing

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 30 Aug 2012.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

MS really are pulling out all the stops to get people to upgrade. Given 99% of the PC world runs Windows anyway, they've effectively selling Win 8 at £24.99 to everyone.

3. runadumb

runadumb What's a Dremel?

That's not so bad if you are on XP or Vista. I won't be upgrading my Win7 desktop but if I had a decent old laptop I probably would. Not worth doing it on my Netbook, piece of crap that it is.

Shame they didn't do a special release price like they did with 7. It was only £45

4. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Now I would be happily paying this if there was a graphics driver for my laptop.

I used the beta for about 2 months on my laptop but got fed up with it looking so crap I ditched it and went back to... GULP....Vista a few days ago.

5. Jaffo

Jaffo What's a Dremel?

Pretty impressive pricing. Install Classic Shell and it's good to go!

One of the annoyances with W8 is that the Metro apps won't work below 1024x768 which rules out most netbooks so mine will be sticking with W7.

6. r3loaded

r3loaded Minimodder

It's still worth throwing Windows 8 on there purely for the speed improvements though.

7. murraynt

murraynt Modder

I'm going to upgrade as soon as I can. If I can't get used to metro I'll just do the reg tweaks and run a normal desktop layout.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Epic value for money. I'm in.

9. SpAceman

SpAceman What's a Dremel?

Whenever I see how cheap it will be to upgrade I always get excited. I cant wait to spend so little to get a full upgrade.

Then I remember I have access to MSDNAA through uni. Derp.

10. V3ctor

V3ctor Tech addict...

I can't get used to it... I tried, but just can't... Win7 for me for along time :/

11. ya93sin

ya93sin What's a Dremel?

Can't see myself paying for the upgrade when I have Windows 7 which has been ever so reliable for me since I installed it.

12. xaser04

xaser04 Ba Ba Ba BANANA!

Great news, I have a couple of XP licences which I can use to upgrade to Windows 8. Perfect for my wife's netbook and her main machine which is currently running Win 8 RP.

Is there anymore news on this? I.E. Can I simply download the Win8 ISO (direct from Microsoft like the CP/RP) and install it directly or do I have to have XP installed in the first instance?

13. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

So how many computers can I upgrade for my £24.99? Are they sticking with the old Microsoft way of doing things and requiring one licence per machine, or can I, like with my macs, install the OS on more than one? (I think I already know the answer).

Basically given that I have two windows machines (One is a HTPC running nothing but XBMC, and the other is my bootcamp partition of my macbook for gaming) how could Microsoft ever expect me to pony up for an upgrade?

14. aramil

aramil One does not simply upgrade Forums

It's an upgrade so a valid xp vista or seven install has to be on already to use it.

26th Oct an installer will be released which does the work for you. Also allows you to create a DVD or USB backup.

Sent on my CM10 JB powered i9100 by TapaTalk 2

15. stothiptonypE

stothiptonypE What's a Dremel?

What does it means?=)

16. [-Stash-]

[-Stash-] What's a Dremel?

This is a fantastic deal and exactly what MS should be doing to encourage people to upgrade.

17. Platinum

Platinum What's a Dremel?

Any word yet on how to get Windows 8 if you have a PC with no OS on it? (I have a retail boxed version of W7 that I plan to move to my media PC)

18. murraynt

murraynt Modder

With windows 7 upgrade you could do a clean install without a problem. With any luck this will be the same.

19. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

£25 is pretty good. For that I'll just pick it up to test it out. If it's awful, back to Win 7!

Although... does it have adverts on your desktop? Because yeah, I wont be partaking in that.

20. gcwebbyuk

gcwebbyuk Dib Dabbler

I am just about to upgrade 2 workstations to Windows 7 Pro - is there any way to get a good upgrade price from XP to 7? The PCs (and their users) would not cope with 8 unfortunately.