1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Safety Razors?

Discussion in 'General' started by glaeken, 20 Dec 2011.

1. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

Thinking about getting one. Anyone have one? I'm currently looking at the Merkur 38C "Barber Pole".

I currently use a Gilette Fusion (5-blade) with Nivea Shaving cream. I really like the vibrating function and it does pretty well in long hair ( I have a pretty thick beard ). But it's pretty much unusable without the vibrating function. And there's no way I can shave 2 days in a row with it.

How do the safety razors fair in longer beards (talking 3-4 days that isn't really a problem with the Gilette)? Would I have to trim it first?

I've got Trumper's violet shaving cream with a badger hair brush on the way. Figured I'd try that aspect out before getting a safety razor.

2. chrisb2e9

chrisb2e9 Dont do that...

Sounds like quite the beast of a razor. I don't see the point myself. I shave every day, in the shower. takes less than 2 minutes if i rush at it. Just use a Gillette sensor. cheap, works.

3. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have been using safety razors for a few years now (and straights for about half as long) and they are awesome, so much cheaper to run. Sure they cost a bit more to buy in the first place but you can pick them up at antique and charity shops, give them a good, deep down clean and they will (mostly) shave better than the newest 5 blade crap.

My best one is a late1940s Gillette #66 that my great uncle picked up while he was on leave from the army just after the war. It looks like new (solid brass with Rhodium plating, yay) and shaves sooooo well.

I also have a 1950s Gillette 'fat boy' adjustable, a 1970s Gillette tech, a PAL of indeterminate age, 3 Merkurs (including the adjustable Fusion) as well as a couple of Rolls Razors which are pretty much a chunk of straight razor blade with a sharpening system and handle. All bar the Rolls get used regularly, the Rolls are more of an interesting curio than a shaver for me.

Blades are a couple of quid for a 5 pack and (depending on brand) that pack will last a month or two at least.

If you are prone to leaving your fuzz to grow a little then maybe take a look at the open comb Merkurs that are out there, they are a little more aggressive than the standard head (but nowhere near the slant heads) but with a decent blade they go through a week's growth with no effort or tugging at all.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I switched to a safety razor last christmas and i will never switch back. Razor was like $30 and I got 200 extra blades for $20. I often use a blade for a month (shave once a week) before changing it. The one I got is a Merkur. I don't know much about different kinds of safety razors or how much of a difference they will make but mine works great. Took a couple months for the rash from my Gillette razor to go away and since then I don't ever get a rash from shaving.

Some people say its dangerous and easy to cut yourself. I am not really that careful when I shave and often do it quickly and in the past year I've only cut myself a handful of times, and ever anything real bad/noticeable.

5. Almightyrastus

I really cannot recall when i last got a cut or nick from a safety razor. Once you get used to how much less pressure you need compared to multi blade and use a decent lather there should be no problem

6. Edwards

Edwards Minimodder

I have been using the merkur 34c for the last 2 years, and wouldn't go back. The shave feels cleaner, and I get less irritation on my face now than I used to with mach 3 or 4 or whatever I used to use.

There can be days early on where you suffer from pink water in the bowl due to a slip or too much pressure or the wrong angle of cutting, but you need to bear with it.

I will often go 5+ days without shaving, and though it usually means I need an extra pass, the razor has no issues with longer facefluff.

I'd highly recommend Taylor of Old Bond Street creams btw. Top stuff. Any other information I've ever needed i've found at the Badger & Blade Forum.

7. glaeken

Awesome. Thanks for all the input :). Looks like I'll be ordering one.

8. glaeken

I've been using the Merkur for about a week now and it's great. I gave myself pretty good razor burn the first time, but haven't had a problem ever since. Plus I have enough blades to last me a year for the price of one pack of fusion cartridges.

I'd definitely recommend people to try it.

9. Almightyrastus

Excellent, glad you like it.

A couple of quick tips when you change the blade;

1, Buy a cheap toothbrush to give the razor a good scrub down while it is empty, a build up of soap can change the way the new blade will be held which can lead to the razor being 'off tune' in terms of aggresiveness.

2, Get a small block of polystyrene (styrofoam), reasonably dense, good quality stuff, about the size of a Zippo and run the edges of a new blade through it, this gets rid of any small burrs that might be left over from manufacture and can make for a smoother initial shave. A wine cork (must be real cork) works VERY well for this too.

10. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

|V| 4 L k i 3 R Minimodder

Did you switch to shaving soap and a brush as well?

Just doing that has made my shave so much better. My suggestion is Taylor of Old Bond and a decent badger hair brush.

11. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Try shaving while listening to this:

12. glaeken

@Almightyrastus Thanks for the tips! Never even thought to do that :thumb:

@|V| 4 L k i 3 R Yep I started using a Trumpers Violet shaving soap with a badger hair brush. Though I think I might eventually get a nice one. When I was looking for them there didn't seem to be any moderatly priced brushes ( all from ~10-15 then started at 50 ). But I'll wait a bit to see if this one softens, before I look to buy a more expensive one. Once my Trumpers runs out I'll give Taylor a try too. Any recommendations on which kind/scent?

@DXR_13KE Haha I think I'd cut myself bouncing along to that song :)

Also, I've tried out Merkur and Astra blades, and so far I think I prefer the Astras. But I got a huge grab bag of various brands. Any comments on your favorites?

Last edited: 3 Jan 2012
  13. Almightyrastus

Derby blades and Gillette Super Platinum are my top two choices.

Having said that though, I find that blades are a lot like bullets, if you are a shooter you will know that different rifles work better with different ammo brands, two seemingly identical rifles may 'prefer' different ammo, it is the same with razors and blades, they only way is to try.

Thankfully, safety razor blades cost pennies.

14. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Feathers, Derby's, Wilkinson Sword's or Gillette 7 o'clocks are my blade choices depending on what razor I'm using.

Got a Merkur slant for Christmas & it's loving the feathers. I can get a BBS with 2 passes

15. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

I would suggest the Taylor of Old Bond Sandalwood if you want a more mannish smell. Rose if you want to smell good for the misses. Stay away from the Lavendar unless you want to smell like your grandma's house and plastic wrapped furniture.

16. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

After reading this thread I decided to give a safety razor a try and this morning this arrived.
    [​IMG]

It is an Edwin Jagger DE86. I also got a pack of Merkur Super blades, Edwin Jagger Badger hair shaving brush and a tub of Taylor of Old Bond street shaving cream. I haven't used it as yet as I want a day or two's growth to see how it performs.

Hopefully this will be farewell to my trusty Mach 3.

Will post when I have used it, most likely Saturday morning.

17. |V| 4 L k i 3 R

I still use a Mach3 for now (I travel too much in places with restrictions about razor blades) but I have switched to actual shaving soap (see above) and am already pleased about the change in something that is not as harsh as the off the shelf stuff, canned junk.

Once I've settled down in a place of my own, I'll be getting a safety razor.

18. Almightyrastus

Nice Razor M7ck. The head is very similar to the Merkur ones, I have that head on a Merkur travel set which collapses down to a very handy 2" square. It is a world of difference to the Mach 3, just be very careful not to press as hard as you might be used to, double edge blades are a lot sharper. You will have no trouble at all with a couple of days growth, I sometimes leave it well over a week between shaves and a safety razor just goes straight through it although, admittedly for longer growth I reach for the straight razor but you should be fine

19. glaeken

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got Derby, Gilette, and Feather among others in my grab bag. I'll give the Taylor Sandalwood a try after my Trumpers runs out.

20. glaeken

As others have said, longer hair won't be a problem. It's much more comfortable to shave longer hair with a DE than with a vibrating cartridge razor.