1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News AMD teases 12GB 'supercomputing' graphics card

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 15 Nov 2013.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

For those getting exited about the 'passively cooled' variant: this is only passive in that there are no fans on the card. The box you put it in has to have some pretty hefty forced-air cooling.

3. Dave Lister

Dave Lister Minimodder

So could one of these be used for gaming/everyday use ? if so would BT do some benchmarking with both the 6Gb and 12Gb models please ?

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Could? Sure.

Would? Not so much.

Being that it's likely to cost £4000+ per card and will perform no better (and likely worse) than a top-end gaming card means that it just doesn't make sense to use one of these exclusively for gaming.

5. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Gaming on those card makes no sense. They use the same GPU than gaming card. The main differences are :

- ECC memory (not on low end model)
    - More memory (not always)
    - Optimised drivers for viewport rendering
    - Certified drivers for professionnal softwares
    - Quad buffering on mid/high end card for stereoscopic display (only way to use 3D stereo under Linux)
    - 30-bit pixel color pipeline

Except that, you won't get any benefits from them for gaming. You'll most likely have less FPS as the card runs at slower frequency (while the card costs a lot more).

6. rollo

rollo Modder

be priced similar to nvidias super high end tesla cards which in theory could be used for gaming if you were a bit nuts.

cost will be £4000 + for the 6gb and probably closer to £5500 for the top end one. See how it performs could be a useful investment.

7. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

You read the part of the article where it mentions that the S10000 6GB Edition launched last year, right? As in, we don't need to guess how much it costs, 'cos you can buy one right now? Spoiler: it's about £2,500.

8. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

BitCoin Miner? I wonder how long it would take to earn it's money back!

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Depending on what the core is based on, there's a possibility you could upload the firmware of it's gaming counterpart. I'm not sure if all the RAM will be detected, but then again, I don't think spending $10000 for gaming is a wise choice. Even if you have 4 monitors at 1080p, the core would likely be the bottleneck before the memory.

@Pookie
    I figure this would be terrible for bitcoin. As far as I'm aware BC isn't memory intensive at all. What it wants are lots of high-frequency cores with short pipelines. It wouldn't surprise me if a 2GB GPU had equal performance to this 12GB.

10. rollo

rollo Modder

Gpu mining in bit coin died along time ago. ASIC miners are taking over and once more get delivered the difficulty will sky rocket. Even the fastest Gpu out there was below 0.1 bit coins a day last I checked.

11. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

"Even if you have 4 monitors at 1080p" 1080 is very low resolution. Most gamers who are serious have 3 30 inchers.

In any case, I have no interest in this card since it is made for the fine ladies and gentlemen who author content, not those of us who consume it.

Yours in Ultra High Resolution Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

P.S. 10,000$ (pounds for those who use boutique currencies) is not a lot to spend on a PC. You can spend that much on monitors, cards and the steel hardware to hold up the screens. Add in a decent PC that handles everything from folding to gaming and you are easily over 10k$

Last edited: 15 Nov 2013
  12. GuilleAcoustic

didn't know that the resolution is what makes you a 'gamer'. Glad I'm using a 1280x1024 17" 4/3 screen to play, I wouldn't like to be called a gamer

13. raxonb

raxonb Minimodder

But can it play Crisis?

I've always wanted to say that :p

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

That comment right there completely voided your point on "1080p is a low resolution", because anyone who thinks 10k dollars/pounds, is "not a lot to spend" on a PC (key word here is PC, not workstation) has serious priority problems and is way too rich for their own good. Even on websites where people spend months working on custom PCs, they don't spend much more than $2500 on the actual hardware. The fact that you think $10k will get you a decent PC means you either live in Brazil or you must be doing something very wrong. Setting aside Nvidia Titans and monitors, if I were given $10k to build a gaming+folding PC, I don't see how I could even breach that price point. I hope you realize there is such thing as too much RAM, too many drives in RAID, too many GPUs, etc. Performance can and will drop once you get to a certain point, and you also waste an immense amount of power when idle.

Besides putting wealth into perspective, 1080p is, quite literally high definition. In fact it's officially defined as FHD, as in, full high definition. Anything higher than 1920x1200 is not "high" definition anymore, but SHD or UDH.

Good job looking ridiculously pretentious.

Last edited: 15 Nov 2013
  15. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Whilst you'd be out of your mind to buy a card like this just for gaming, I remember reading a review on Tom's Hardware that showed AMD top end workstation class GPUs ran games just as well as their gaming orientated GPUs. On the other handNVidia top end workstation GPUs have noticeably worse performance. Basically, if your a super serious CAD (and well off) user who likes to play games as well, this card is perfect for you.

Oh, and always ignore Star*Dagger. He/she comes along once in a blue moon to make some asinine comment, then wonders off.

16. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Minimodder

*coughs* Crysis *coughs*

17. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

4:3 is a horrible thing to do to any game. 17 inches is a good size, for a tablet. and I am not sure that most games will ever work properly at ULD (Ultra Low Def) of 1280x1024.
    If you can game in the top 10% with that rig you deserve a medal. Good job.

1920x1080 is classified by home entertainment clown companies as HD. Does that mean I will limit my Gaming Glory to such low resolution? Negative!

3 monitors at 1500$ is 4500$. 3 cards at 750$ each is 2250$ that is 6750$ already. Decent desk is 500$, steel rack to hold the 3 screens in place and installed is another 1000$. We are up to 8250 now, and havent even bought the case or hardware in it.:wallbash:

While you can get a decent rig for 2500$ your video subsystems (which are your primary window into the Gaming Realms) will suffer severely.

Enjoy the show!

Yours in Elite Corrective Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

18. GuilleAcoustic

Does your e-Peen feel good ? Maybe you're trying to compensate your lack of skill or retarded brain by growing your arrogance. I really pity you ...

EDIT: I really hope you're just trolling. If not .... you're the stupidest person I've ever met.

Last edited: 16 Nov 2013
  19. Gareth Halfacree

If it brings anything to the debate, my MONSTER GAMING RIG cost £500, plus another £100-ish for the single 1920x1200 monitor. Which has a broken power button now. It works, but sometimes spins off-axis, then you have to rotate it until the power symbol is the right way up before it'll actually switch it on or off. FEAR MY AWESOME HARDWARE!

20. GuilleAcoustic

lol Gareth ... for a second I imagined your screen with a car ignition start lock xD (insert the key and turn it to power on the screen)