1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Configuring Dual Boot With Linux/Windows on Separate HDD's

Discussion in 'Software' started by Itchy Rim, 6 Apr 2012.

1. Itchy Rim

Itchy Rim Minimodder

Hi,

Can anyone please tell me how I go about setting up two separate bootable hard drives in a PC? I would like to have one HDD with ubuntu linux as a bootable drive and another HDD with Windows 7 64 bit as a bootable drive.

Is it possible to get the BIOS to provide an option at boot as to what drive and O/S it boots from? The HDD's will be in a mid tower case and are both sata2 HDD's.

The HDD's have not yet had the O/S's installed on them, would I be advised to install the respective O/S's on each drive where it is the only HDD in the machine? My thoughts were that this option would keep things simple for the OS installations, then, once each HDD has been individually configured they can both be connected up in the machine.

Thx for any advice.

Itchy Rim

2. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Yes you can do that, if your bios has that option, usually a key on boot but you have to be quick. Probably easier to set up grub to be primary boot with selection instead.
    Install each separate, then add your entry to grub to chainload to windows bootloader.